My responsibality?? California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My responsibality?? California

I recently had a main line sewage blockage at my house. This was the 2nd time in 6wks, so I pushed through a camera and found the the 4" line from my house is partially collasped where it enters the main sewer line in the middle of the street.
    The local sewer co told me that they only maintain the main line in the street and that all connections and pipes to the houses are the homeowners responibility. We're are talking $10k-$15K here to hire a county approved plumber to open up the street, repair the pipe,and repair the street.
    The problem is about 20' past my property line and in public property (the street).
    So, are they just trying to shirk responsibility or are they correct?

To the best of my knowledge, no California property attorneys frequent this board and the answer to your question is going to be very state- and perhaps even county-specific. I can say that in my location (Fairfax County, VA), my husband and I responsible for everything out to the main sewer line running down the middle of our street. In our case, the plumbers tunneled under the sidewalk to avoid digging up the street. A picture of the work in progress is below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcmarketeer/5209032503/
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Look into a process called "SLIP-LINING" That is where they install a lining in the pipes, and repair them that way without major digging. Call around, or ask your city sewer department about who they approve.

I used to work for a major chain in CA doing plumbing and sewer work.

The company posted below is a example of the process, and I have no knowledge of their work and do not endorse them.

Cost will run about $50 to $75 a foot. Please let us know what you found out and decided to do. This will help someone in the future.
      Last edited by GotSmart; 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by Patchbo View Post
        I recently had a main line sewage blockage at my house. This was the 2nd time in 6wks, so I pushed through a camera and found the the 4" line from my house is partially collasped where it enters the main sewer line in the middle of the street.
        The local sewer co told me that they only maintain the main line in the street and that all connections and pipes to the houses are the homeowners responibility. We're are talking $10k-$15K here to hire a county approved plumber to open up the street, repair the pipe,and repair the street.
        The problem is about 20' past my property line and in public property (the street).
        So, are they just trying to shirk responsibility or are they correct?
        Unless otherwise stated in the initial agreement, what you were told by the sewer co was correct. The "subscribers" responsibly is from the house to the main line. If however you feel the blockage is a result of negligence at the time of the original installation of the line or say roots from a city owned tree contributed to the blockage you would have to consult with Attorney as how best to proceed which means.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!
        .._____________
        ~Just about the time you get your s*** together,
        it hits the fan.....
        Last edited by drruthless; 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Everyone--the county, the water co, the sewer dist, etc.-- tells me the same. So, unless I can come up with something new, I think I'm stuck.
          I am investigating trenchless sewer repair pipe relineing.
          Wow, that tunnel under the street looks pretty scary. Multi million $$$ law suit here. Glad it worked out for you.

Comment

It seems that you are getting consistent answers from everyone, both on this board and in your own community. I would just add that the answer, that the property owner is responsible for everything from the main to his house, even where the problem occurs beyond his own property line, is a nearly universal result. I'd be surprised if you find a different answer.
            David K. Staub (www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com)
            Forum posts are not legal advice, are for informational and educational purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with legal counsel.

Comment

Thanks all, again.

Comment

Working...
              X