Lunch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunch?

I researched this topic in Ohio and came up with the very disappointing conclusion that if we get a break for lunch we should feel lucky because they don't have to give it. I searched the Osha database and could only come up with certain exceptions to that such as commercial drivers, people that work in confined spaces, or work with certain chemicals etc... I was told by my union rep that somewhere in the OSHA regulations they do have language something to the effect that the employees are to be given a 15 minute "bathroom" break. I was not able to find the language to veryify this. Does anyone know if this language exists or not?

Osha

There is no such rule in OSHA, with the exception of mandates for rest for certain job classifications.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by mouse
      I researched this topic in Ohio and came up with the very disappointing conclusion that if we get a break for lunch we should feel lucky because they don't have to give it. I searched the Osha database and could only come up with certain exceptions to that such as commercial drivers, people that work in confined spaces, or work with certain chemicals etc... I was told by my union rep that somewhere in the OSHA regulations they do have language something to the effect that the employees are to be given a 15 minute "bathroom" break. I was not able to find the language to veryify this. Does anyone know if this language exists or not?
      Correct that there are no FEDERAL mandates for employee breaks and lunches except for certain classifications as you mentioned suchs as interstate truckers, etc.

In an office the employer gives breaks and lunches at their discretion, hopefully in a way that is beneficial to their employees.

There are however STATE LAWS on breaks and meal periods and you can view those at :
      ttp://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/rest.htm
      Sue
      FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Lunch

Ohio does not have any meal or rest period rules.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
        X