X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-1 Program Sponsor Funds Texas

Hello,

I am applying for a J-1 waiver on ground of NoS (No Objection Statement). The Department of State website asks me: Did any of your exchange visitor program(s) include U.S. Government funds, funds from your own government or funds from an international organization?

I look at my J-1 and see that my "Current Program Sponsor" (MoMA, where I interned), has $1.00 for funds. "Personal Funds", that's me, has "10,000". The "Total" is $10,001.

Now, surely MoMA did not give me a paycheck for $1, I don't even know why that is there . Should I claim on my application that I have received funds "from an international organization"?

Many thanks!

PS: I don't know why it chose Texas as my state, I am not in the US. I chose other!

Ds-2019

Hello! I do have a J1 waiver application too and that was a problem for me when I filed for the J1 waiver. You need to call your program sponsor (J1 sponsor) and ask your responsible officer if you had any government funding. If you are hired by an employer and you are not doing any kind of research and you are being paid by your employer, that money is not considered as funding. That amount is your salary. Be careful when you make an answer regarding funding because most J1 waiver applications are turned down when funding is involved.

By the way, when did you file your J1 waiver application? I filed mine in September, 2008. The last document that was cleared (Statement of Reason)was received September 25. Until now, I haven't heard from them yet and it's been 10 months. I am on a teacher category.

Comment

I have shipped my application from Turkey to a friend in the US last week. She will include payment for me and submit it. But I already have a case number and a file open for me since MoMA consulted the Waiver Division in my name to see if it was possible to waive the HRR without going through the paperwork of NoS. Apparently, it isn't.

Despite the fact that I already have a file, I expect it to take a long time, since the Turkish Embassy foresees a 6 month waiting period to issue a NoS. The 10-month period you mention sounds horrible though! If I wait it out in Turkey, that would almost equal my full 2 years! And to wait it out in the US is such a gamble. Ahh, the pains of bureaucracy!

PS: By the way, what did you put in your statement of reason? I simply said I am applying based on NoS, and as it should be noted in the NoS, it would be better for me and for Turkey that I can plan my vocation and future without any boundaries given that I am a consultant for international contemporary art.
      Last edited by okans; 12-04-2008, 06:13 AM. Reason: Added PS

Comment

Uh-oh....That was 10 weeks and not 10 months. Sorry about the confusion. I just checked my status online and it says recommendation was sent Dec 5. I am waiting for it on the mail but i do not know whether I should be excited about it or dread it because it only says Recommendation: Sent. The word favorable is not there. I am crossing my fingers. Reason? I also wrote based on the no objection statement by my home country. I do not want to complicate the whole thing. Post your story later. Thanks!

Comment

Best of luck! I am sure it's OK, but tell the outcome. I will, too, when mine is done.

Comment

My J1 waiver got favorable recommendation as the online system says but I do not have the hard copy yet. I am extremely anxious now. I got all the papers ready for filing (I-485, I-765 and I-131). I just passed my medical today but the J1 waiver copy is not in the mail yet. But well, Im happy that the J1 waiver is out in the picture now. I will need to face another waiting game....the AOS, EAD and the AP. Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by Lianne1014 View Post
              My J1 waiver got favorable recommendation as the online system says but I do not have the hard copy yet. I am extremely anxious now. I got all the papers ready for filing (I-485, I-765 and I-131). I just passed my medical today but the J1 waiver copy is not in the mail yet. But well, Im happy that the J1 waiver is out in the picture now. I will need to face another waiting game....the AOS, EAD and the AP. Whew!
              can u share some info about what kind of reason u showed and how long did it take, whole process?
              thanks

Comment

Working...
              X