This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terminating parental rights Virginia

My son is 2 and his father has never seen him due to the fact that he left for California right after I found out I was pregnant. He does send child support but that is the extent of his parenting. How do I go about terminating his parental rights? He will not relinquish them voluntarily.
    Last edited by SmfldMom; 10-16-2007, 07:15 PM. Reason: needed to elaborate that he didn't live in Virginia where I reside.

Since he is paying child support, it is unlikely to happen.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

So, even though he will probably never come out here to see him, he still has a right to him?

Comment

Originally posted by SmfldMom View Post
        So, even though he will probably never come out here to see him, he still has a right to him?
        Sure, he's the father.

Comment

How is that not considered abandonment?

Comment

How is that not considered abandonment?
            Oftentimes, if the parent is still paying child support, they don't consider it abandonment.

Comment

So, he can go and get visitation rights and have my son come out there and there is nothing I can do to stop it?

Comment

So, he can go and get visitation rights and have my son come out there and there is nothing I can do to stop it?
                Your son is 2. The father is not likely to get visitations in CA. How would your son get there, alone? He can request for visitations in YOUR state, and they'd likely be supervised, at first. But, yes, he will be allowed to exercise his rights as a parent.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X