Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Should I refile in Vermont?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Q: Should I refile in Vermont?

    I filed an I-129F for my fiance with NSC, NOA Dec. 16. I just learned
    I am moving to NJ for a few months for my new job. Then I will move
    to Kentucky with the company. (However, the company doesn't know when
    we will be moving to KY. We'll be in NJ until at least April.)

    I contacted USCIS: they said that Nebraska would take 3-4 weeks to
    forward the case to Vermont's Service Center. Should I refile? I'm
    afraid of what might go wrong (file being lost, not getting my NOA 2
    if I've moved to KY, etc.) and that I'd waste time.

    Does anyone have any experience in refiling K-1s in this fashion? Any
    input would be great.

    Thanks,
    Kristina

  • #2
    Q: Should I refile in Vermont?


    Kristina,



    Yup. I did something similar to what you're asking about. I've posted
    hints of this before, but some more detail might be of interest to you.



    - I filed an I-129f with the NSC in March. (At which time I had an
    apartment in a state covered by the NSC. I continue to spend
    virtually all of my time in this state, which is why I initially
    filed there.)

    - I got impatient and filed an I-129f with the VSC in May. (I owned,
    and still own, a home in a state covered by the VSC. I continue to
    maintain my driver's license and voter registration in this state.
    This is why I got the bright idea that I could file with the VSC.)

    - In July, with a response from the VSC overdue, I tried to find out
    what the hold-up was. The NCSC was no help. Initially they just
    brushed me off, eventually they (claimed to) put through a request for
    information to the VSC. A request that (if made) was never answered.

    - In August I decided to contact my Congressman, who found out that
    the VSC was sitting on my petition because they knew that a similar
    petition was at the NSC. The VSC would not process their petition
    until they got my file from the NSC. The NSC would not send my file
    to the VSC until they (the NSC) were finished with it. I had
    created gridlock.



    If your thinking about withdrawing your petition with the NSC, so that
    you can submit to the VSC, I tried that also. Sent the NSC a letter
    identifying my case by Case Type and Receipt Number on both the envelope
    and in a bold-type subject line at the head of the letter. (Didn't
    include the A# because the NVC doesn't tell you what it is on the NOA
    #1) Also included a copy of NOA #1. A month or so later I got my
    letter back with a note saying that they had just now (3 weeks after
    receiveing my withdrawal letter) approved my case. Never did send me a
    NOA #2, however.



    By the way, I sent a similar letter to the VSC at the same time. The
    VSC never responded, and they never approved my petition, either. I
    don't know if it was because of the letter or if it's because they're
    still waiting for my file from the NSC.



    These people cannot keep track of their files. If you've got something
    in progress, I now believe that it's best to let it proceed to
    conclusion. Try anything out of the ordinary and you'll just cause
    yourself more grief.



    Regards, JEff



    Originally posted by Kristina
    I filed an I-129F for my fiance with NSC, NOA Dec. 16. I just learned
    I am moving to NJ for a few months for my new job. Then I will move
    to Kentucky with the company. (However, the company doesn't know when
    we will be moving to KY. We'll be in NJ until at least April.)

    I contacted USCIS: they said that Nebraska would take 3-4 weeks to
    forward the case to Vermont's Service Center. Should I refile? I'm
    afraid of what might go wrong (file being lost, not getting my NOA 2
    if I've moved to KY, etc.) and that I'd waste time.

    Does anyone have any experience in refiling K-1s in this fashion? Any
    input would be great.

    Thanks,
    Kristina


    --
    Of course, the Internet also tells us that hot naked women want to befriend us, so we can't be 100% sure about everything we read there. (Dave Barry)


    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Q: Should I refile in Vermont?


      Originally posted by jeffreyhy
      Kristina,

      Yup. I did something similar to what you're asking about. I've posted hints of this before, but some more detail might be of interest to you.

      - I filed an I-129f with the NSC in March. (At which time I had an apartment in a state covered by the NSC. I continue to spend virtually all of my time in this state, which is why I initially filed there.)
      - I got impatient and filed an I-129f with the VSC in May. (I owned, and still own, a home in a state covered by the VSC. I continue to maintain my driver's license and voter registration in this state. This is why I got the bright idea that I could file with the VSC.)
      - In July, with a response from the VSC overdue, I tried to find out what the hold-up was. The NCSC was no help. Initially they just brushed me off, eventually they (claimed to) put through a request for information to the VSC. A request that (if made) was never answered.
      - In August I decided to contact my Congressman, who found out that the VSC was sitting on my petition because they knew that a similar petition was at the NSC. The VSC would not process their petition until they got my file from the NSC. The NSC would not send my file to the VSC until they (the NSC) were finished with it. I had created gridlock.

      If your thinking about withdrawing your petition with the NSC, so that you can submit to the VSC, I tried that also. Sent the NSC a letter identifying my case by Case Type and Receipt Number on both the envelope and in a bold-type subject line at the head of the letter. (Didn't include the A# because the NVC doesn't tell you what it is on the NOA #1) Also included a copy of NOA #1. A month or so later I got my letter back with a note saying that they had just now (3 weeks after receiveing my withdrawal letter) approved my case. Never did send me a NOA #2, however.

      By the way, I sent a similar letter to the VSC at the same time. The VSC never responded, and they never approved my petition, either. I don't know if it was because of the letter or if it's because they're still waiting for my file from the NSC.

      These people cannot keep track of their files. If you've got something in progress, I now believe that it's best to let it proceed to conclusion. Try anything out of the ordinary and you'll just cause yourself more grief.

      Regards, JEff


      Hey Jeff



      I did not know about all the hassle you went thru to tranfer service
      centers:scared:, I am so sorry!!.

      Did you ever call the embassy??, I am dying for an update!!, Hurry up!!

      Bottom line: Dont transfer service centers


      --
      Posted via http://britishexpats.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Q: Should I refile in Vermont?


        Originally posted by Kristina
        I filed an I-129F for my fiance with NSC, NOA Dec. 16. I just learned
        I am moving to NJ for a few months for my new job. Then I will move
        to Kentucky with the company. (However, the company doesn't know when
        we will be moving to KY. We'll be in NJ until at least April.)

        I contacted USCIS: they said that Nebraska would take 3-4 weeks to
        forward the case to Vermont's Service Center. Should I refile? I'm
        afraid of what might go wrong (file being lost, not getting my NOA 2
        if I've moved to KY, etc.) and that I'd waste time.

        Does anyone have any experience in refiling K-1s in this fashion? Any
        input would be great.

        Thanks,
        Kristina


        My answer would be- YES, but be prepared to pay for an extra month's
        rent aaafter you move...and forward the mail during the "address
        change period"


        --
        Posted via http://britishexpats.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Q: Should I refile in Vermont?


          tweeky,



          The hassle was self-imposed. I should have thought things through
          better and filed at the VSC in the first place, even though I wasn't
          spending much time in the VSC state.



          I haven't contacted the consulate yet. As I posted previously, I'm
          going to give it another week or two. I want to make you suffer.



          Regards, JEff



          Originally posted by Hypertweeky
          Hey Jeff

          I did not know about all the hassle you went thru to tranfer service centers:scared:, I am so sorry!!.
          Did you ever call the embassy??, I am dying for an update!!, Hurry up!!
          Bottom line: Dont transfer service centers


          --
          Of course, the Internet also tells us that hot naked women want to befriend us, so we can't be 100% sure about everything we read there. (Dave Barry)


          Posted via http://britishexpats.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Q: Should I refile in Vermont?

            Ok, I'm NOT transferring from Nebraska to VT.
            Jeff, did you call the USCIS to ask them about refiling before sending
            a 2nd petition? If so, what did they tell you?

            Kristina


            [email protected] (Kristina) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
            I filed an I-129F for my fiance with NSC, NOA Dec. 16. I just learned I am moving to NJ for a few months for my new job. Then I will move to Kentucky with the company. (However, the company doesn't know when we will be moving to KY. We'll be in NJ until at least April.) I contacted USCIS: they said that Nebraska would take 3-4 weeks to forward the case to Vermont's Service Center. Should I refile? I'm afraid of what might go wrong (file being lost, not getting my NOA 2 if I've moved to KY, etc.) and that I'd waste time. Does anyone have any experience in refiling K-1s in this fashion? Any input would be great. Thanks, Kristina

            Comment


            • #7
              Q: Should I refile in Vermont?


              Originally posted by jeffreyhy
              tweeky,
              I want to make you suffer.

              Regards, JEff


              Hey!!! move your butt and call them now!!


              --
              Posted via http://britishexpats.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Q: Should I refile in Vermont?


                Kristina,



                Call the USCIS and ask them for advice?

                You're kidding, right?



                Seriously, there have been posts from our AILA members that say,
                essentially "why are you asking the advice of the enemy?" No, I should
                have known well enough not to do what I did without asking any one.
                But the experience did yield some insights into how efficient the CIS
                is and isn't.



                One thing I did ask the CIS, via my Congressman's immigration liaison
                - how about cancelling the 2 I-129fs, getting married, and starting
                over with an I-130. The advice was to not do it, it would just
                compound the problem.



                After consulting with my wife that's what we did anyway, because she and
                her family wanted us to be married. As it turns out, I don't think it
                caused additional problem because the I-129f was approved by the NBC
                within the typical window (it was 77 days).



                I think.....



                Regards, JEff



                Originally posted by Kristina
                Ok, I'm NOT transferring from Nebraska to VT.
                Jeff, did you call the USCIS to ask them about refiling before sending
                a 2nd petition? If so, what did they tell you?

                Kristina

                --
                Of course, the Internet also tells us that hot naked women want to befriend us, so we can't be 100% sure about everything we read there. (Dave Barry)


                Posted via http://britishexpats.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Q: Should I refile in Vermont?


                  tweeky,



                  OK, I did send an e-mail last night (which for them was this morning).



                  No response yet.



                  Regards, JEff



                  Originally posted by Hypertweeky

                  Hey!!! move your butt and call them now!!


                  --
                  Of course, the Internet also tells us that hot naked women want to befriend us, so we can't be 100% sure about everything we read there. (Dave Barry)


                  Posted via http://britishexpats.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X