X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOS - what to expect in New York?

Originally posted by Rete
    In my opinion NYC BCIS should be used exclusively for the five boroughs of Manhattan and Long Island and BCIS should use their federal powers to open an office to accommodate those of us in the outlying areas to use an office closer to home.
    Rete That's interesting to hear, Rete, I'd always thought NYC
    dealt only with the 5 city counties. Then again, when I did my EAD walk-
    in, there was a couple I got chatting to that had travelled down from
    Buffalo to get theirs!

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rete
      In my opinion NYC BCIS should be used exclusively for the five boroughs of Manhattan and Long Island and BCIS should use their federal powers to open an office to accommodate those of us in the outlying areas to use an office closer to home.
      Rete That's interesting to hear, Rete, I'd always thought NYC
      dealt only with the 5 city counties. Then again, when I did my EAD walk-
      in, there was a couple I got chatting to that had travelled down from
      Buffalo to get theirs!

--

Comment

Originally posted by mrsm
        White Plains already has immigrants in the area or hasn't the city noticed! It would be a great to have a BCIS office there or indeed in Rockland or Duchess county etc. But in recent years we have put up with the revitilization of downtown with "The Westchester", and recently the new movie theatre/Target, and of course the new fountain! Who do you they think will be using these amenities - immigrants (though the Westchester is a bit pricey for me)!
        My US husband says that the immigrants would probably build/ remodel an office in half the time it has taken for the construction work to be done in White Plains so far.

This past week in the local Journal News was the front page headline of
        average prices for homes in Westchester. A small home with limited
        property (50 by 100 lots) goes for $375,000. Coops (1 bedroom) for
        over $140,000. And if I remember correctly, condos for over $200,000.

Here in Westchester County and parts of Queens, Brooklyn, etc. you see
        many immigrants living five, six, eight in a one bedroom apartment so
        they can afford the rent. A single bedroom apartment will rent for
        approx. $1,000 a month and that is without amenities. No pool, yard,
        washer, dryer, utilities, etc.

That our County lawmakers and the City of White Plains, in particular,
        turned down the opening of a BCIS office in the county seat is laughable
        on the grounds they cited. These immigrants are floating this county
        with their earnings and spending while the rich in places like Bedford
        Hills, Scarsdale, Bronxville, etc. live with lower property taxes than a
        homeowner in a city with a high immigration population. White Plains is
        trying to turn itself into another Scarsdale but they will never rid
        themselves of the Section 8 projects, ramshackle multiple family homes
        and high low income population which is a large percentage of the White
        Plains population.

Rete

--

Comment

Originally posted by mrsm
          White Plains already has immigrants in the area or hasn't the city noticed! It would be a great to have a BCIS office there or indeed in Rockland or Duchess county etc. But in recent years we have put up with the revitilization of downtown with "The Westchester", and recently the new movie theatre/Target, and of course the new fountain! Who do you they think will be using these amenities - immigrants (though the Westchester is a bit pricey for me)!
          My US husband says that the immigrants would probably build/ remodel an office in half the time it has taken for the construction work to be done in White Plains so far.

This past week in the local Journal News was the front page headline of
          average prices for homes in Westchester. A small home with limited
          property (50 by 100 lots) goes for $375,000. Coops (1 bedroom) for
          over $140,000. And if I remember correctly, condos for over $200,000.

Here in Westchester County and parts of Queens, Brooklyn, etc. you see
          many immigrants living five, six, eight in a one bedroom apartment so
          they can afford the rent. A single bedroom apartment will rent for
          approx. $1,000 a month and that is without amenities. No pool, yard,
          washer, dryer, utilities, etc.

That our County lawmakers and the City of White Plains, in particular,
          turned down the opening of a BCIS office in the county seat is laughable
          on the grounds they cited. These immigrants are floating this county
          with their earnings and spending while the rich in places like Bedford
          Hills, Scarsdale, Bronxville, etc. live with lower property taxes than a
          homeowner in a city with a high immigration population. White Plains is
          trying to turn itself into another Scarsdale but they will never rid
          themselves of the Section 8 projects, ramshackle multiple family homes
          and high low income population which is a large percentage of the White
          Plains population.

Rete

--

Comment

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as
            'Re: AOS - what to expect in New York?' and 'Rete: tasty but deadly.'

FTR --- there are three District BCIS offices in New York State thathandle AOS. One is NYC, another is the Albany/Schneteday office and thethird is Buffalo. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate EAD on a walk inbasis when you first file. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate anentire AOS processing in six to eight months. And this is currenttimelines as well as past timeline.
            Can a resident of NY state file AOS at any of the three district
            offices irrespective of where he lives in NYS?

I.e. I live in Manhattan and filed AOS at NYC BCIS - could I have
            driven to Albany and filed there?

Thanks for the clarification,

Marco

Comment

FTR --- there are three District BCIS offices in New York State thathandle AOS. One is NYC, another is the Albany/Schneteday office and thethird is Buffalo. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate EAD on a walk inbasis when you first file. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate anentire AOS processing in six to eight months. And this is currenttimelines as well as past timeline.

Marco

Comment

Nope .. you are in the clutches of NYC BCIS. You might want to take an
                acting job in the Albany area and have your case transferred.

Rete

Originally posted by c

FTR --- there are three District BCIS offices in New York State that
                handle AOS. One is NYC, another is the Albany/Schneteday office and the
                third is Buffalo. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate EAD on a walk in
                basis when you first file. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate an
                entire AOS processing in six to eight months. And this is current
                timelines as well as past timeline.

Marco

--

Comment

Nope .. you are in the clutches of NYC BCIS. You might want to take an
                  acting job in the Albany area and have your case transferred.

Rete

Originally posted by c

FTR --- there are three District BCIS offices in New York State that
                  handle AOS. One is NYC, another is the Albany/Schneteday office and the
                  third is Buffalo. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate EAD on a walk in
                  basis when you first file. Both Buffalo and A/S will adjudicate an
                  entire AOS processing in six to eight months. And this is current
                  timelines as well as past timeline.

Marco

--

Comment

Working...
                  X