Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible O/T: Can anyone recommend good shippers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, Now that I have my immigrant visa, and about to move from England to the US, can anyone recommend a particular shipping company that you may have used in the past? Obviously cost is a factor, but my main criteria is reliability and honesty. Also if anyone could give me a rough estimate (I don't even know where to begin) about how much I can expect to be charged to ship over boxes of possessions, that would be great. I won't be moving any furniture or anything large, but simply boxes of photos, books, CDs, few items of clothing, etc. Thanks guys!
    If you haven't got a lot why not try UPS and taking extra cases when you
    fly? I sent 7 huge boxes via UPS for 250 quid and it took 5 days to get
    there. Better than waiting months for your stuff. They were great and
    everything is door to door with no extra charges. I also took an extra
    case which cost around 60 quid.

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

Hey everyone, Now that I have my immigrant visa, and about to move from England to the US, can anyone recommend a particular shipping company that you may have used in the past? Obviously cost is a factor, but my main criteria is reliability and honesty. Also if anyone could give me a rough estimate (I don't even know where to begin) about how much I can expect to be charged to ship over boxes of possessions, that would be great. I won't be moving any furniture or anything large, but simply boxes of photos, books, CDs, few items of clothing, etc. Thanks guys!
      If you haven't got a lot why not try UPS and taking extra cases when you
      fly? I sent 7 huge boxes via UPS for 250 quid and it took 5 days to get
      there. Better than waiting months for your stuff. They were great and
      everything is door to door with no extra charges. I also took an extra
      case which cost around 60 quid.

--

Comment

If you haven't got a lot why not try UPS and taking extra cases when you fly? I sent 7 huge boxes via UPS for 250 quid and it took 5 days to get there. Better than waiting months for your stuff. They were great and everything is door to door with no extra charges. I also took an extra case which cost around 60 quid.
        I used: Southampton Freight Forwarding Ltd, in Southampton and they were
        pretty good. I shipped about 12 boxes and it cost me around $1200-1300
        if I can remember. That included insurance (which i did independently)
        and the costs on the US side. Someone did tell me using a freight
        forwarding company as opposed to a shipping company could be cheaper but
        I might be wrong.

I shipped my stuff over in February 2004 so a year ago!!

Good Luck.

--

Comment

If you haven't got a lot why not try UPS and taking extra cases when you fly? I sent 7 huge boxes via UPS for 250 quid and it took 5 days to get there. Better than waiting months for your stuff. They were great and everything is door to door with no extra charges. I also took an extra case which cost around 60 quid.
          I used: Southampton Freight Forwarding Ltd, in Southampton and they were
          pretty good. I shipped about 12 boxes and it cost me around $1200-1300
          if I can remember. That included insurance (which i did independently)
          and the costs on the US side. Someone did tell me using a freight
          forwarding company as opposed to a shipping company could be cheaper but
          I might be wrong.

I shipped my stuff over in February 2004 so a year ago!!

Good Luck.

--

Comment

Hey!
            If you only want to send a few boxes you might want to consider air
            freight. By sea it can actually be a lot more expensive if they want to
            charge you for a full container or even for a part of one. Not to talk
            about the difference in time both take. I used to work for a company
            that did both and when it was time for me to move I asked both
            departments for a quote, air was about $200 and sea $900 both door to
            door. By air it took 4 days from pick-up at my home in Germany till
            delivery in Iowa. Not bad. I did pack the boxes myself and my company
            packed them on a small pallet. Everything arrived in great shape.
            I don't get paid for saying this but the company is called BAX Global
            and they have offices all over the world. You might want to check for
            companies that are around your nearest airport or habour. It is
            definetly worth comparing prices.
            Isa

--

Comment

Hey!
              If you only want to send a few boxes you might want to consider air
              freight. By sea it can actually be a lot more expensive if they want to
              charge you for a full container or even for a part of one. Not to talk
              about the difference in time both take. I used to work for a company
              that did both and when it was time for me to move I asked both
              departments for a quote, air was about $200 and sea $900 both door to
              door. By air it took 4 days from pick-up at my home in Germany till
              delivery in Iowa. Not bad. I did pack the boxes myself and my company
              packed them on a small pallet. Everything arrived in great shape.
              I don't get paid for saying this but the company is called BAX Global
              and they have offices all over the world. You might want to check for
              companies that are around your nearest airport or habour. It is
              definetly worth comparing prices.
              Isa

--

Comment

My husband used McGimpsey's http://www.mcgimpseys.com/ and they were
                fantastic. They were very professional and even the guy in the US that
                dropped off the skids of boxes was great.

Philip shipped delicate items including electronics and the only problem
                was some damage to his PC, which he insured for separately for 1500.
                We had to take the PC to a store here for a damage estimate and when
                McGimpsey's received it, they paid us without hesitation.

It actually ended up covering the entire cost of the shipping and left
                us enough to replace the PC in US funds.

So, all in all, they were great even though we had a some damage in
                shipping, which ultimately wasn't their fault, of course.

Best of luck to you.

Jen

--

Comment

My husband used McGimpsey's http://www.mcgimpseys.com/ and they were
                  fantastic. They were very professional and even the guy in the US that
                  dropped off the skids of boxes was great.

Philip shipped delicate items including electronics and the only problem
                  was some damage to his PC, which he insured for separately for 1500.
                  We had to take the PC to a store here for a damage estimate and when
                  McGimpsey's received it, they paid us without hesitation.

It actually ended up covering the entire cost of the shipping and left
                  us enough to replace the PC in US funds.

So, all in all, they were great even though we had a some damage in
                  shipping, which ultimately wasn't their fault, of course.

Best of luck to you.

Jen

--

Comment

Working...
                  X