Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible O/T: Can anyone recommend good shippers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible O/T: Can anyone recommend good shippers?

Hey everyone,

Now that I have my immigrant visa, and about to move from England to the
    US, can anyone recommend a particular shipping company that you may have
    used in the past? Obviously cost is a factor, but my main criteria is
    reliability and honesty.

Also if anyone could give me a rough estimate (I don't even know where
    to begin) about how much I can expect to be charged to ship over boxes
    of possessions, that would be great. I won't be moving any furniture or
    anything large, but simply boxes of photos, books, CDs, few items of
    clothing, etc.

Thanks guys!

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Hey everyone, Now that I have my immigrant visa, and about to move from England to the US, can anyone recommend a particular shipping company that you may have used in the past? Obviously cost is a factor, but my main criteria is reliability and honesty. Also if anyone could give me a rough estimate (I don't even know where to begin) about how much I can expect to be charged to ship over boxes of possessions, that would be great. I won't be moving any furniture or anything large, but simply boxes of photos, books, CDs, few items of clothing, etc. Thanks guys!
    I'm copying this post to the USA forum. With so many people from the UK
    now living in the US and the marriage-based being from all countries,
    the USA forum is far more likely for you to obtain a reliable reply.
    Also this has been talked to death and a search of the archives should
    yield you good results.

Rete

--
    I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!

Comment

Hey everyone, Now that I have my immigrant visa, and about to move from England to the US, can anyone recommend a particular shipping company that you may have used in the past? Obviously cost is a factor, but my main criteria is reliability and honesty. Also if anyone could give me a rough estimate (I don't even know where to begin) about how much I can expect to be charged to ship over boxes of possessions, that would be great. I won't be moving any furniture or anything large, but simply boxes of photos, books, CDs, few items of clothing, etc. Thanks guys!
      I'm copying this post to the USA forum. With so many people from the UK
      now living in the US and the marriage-based being from all countries,
      the USA forum is far more likely for you to obtain a reliable reply.
      Also this has been talked to death and a search of the archives should
      yield you good results.

Rete

--
      I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!

Comment

I'm copying this post to the USA forum. With so many people from the UK now living in the US and the marriage-based being from all countries, the USA forum is far more likely for you to obtain a reliable reply. Also this has been talked to death and a search of the archives should yield you good results. Rete Moderator
        Thank you, Rete.

--

Comment

I'm copying this post to the USA forum. With so many people from the UK now living in the US and the marriage-based being from all countries, the USA forum is far more likely for you to obtain a reliable reply. Also this has been talked to death and a search of the archives should yield you good results. Rete Moderator
          Thank you, Rete.

--

Comment

Get at least 3 quotes, including Cadogan Tate. Then get CT to match
            the median of the other quotes. Worked for us - they were very helpful
            and reliable.

Just wanted to add: make sure that whoever you decide to use are members
            of the Association of International Removers (or whatever the official
            body is called). I've heard some horror stories about international
            removal companies...

--

Comment

Get at least 3 quotes, including Cadogan Tate. Then get CT to match
              the median of the other quotes. Worked for us - they were very helpful
              and reliable.

Just wanted to add: make sure that whoever you decide to use are members
              of the Association of International Removers (or whatever the official
              body is called). I've heard some horror stories about international
              removal companies...

--

Comment

I used EuroUSA from Mildenhall. VERY good, and very helpful. I dealt
                with a very nice lady called Louise.

--

Comment

I used EuroUSA from Mildenhall. VERY good, and very helpful. I dealt
                  with a very nice lady called Louise.

--

Comment

I used EuroUSA from Mildenhall. VERY good, and very helpful. I dealt with a very nice lady called Louise.
                    Bad form to reply to one's own posts, but I shipped across around half a
                    container, and it cost about UKL1500 including insurance. If you are
                    shipping books, make sure that you get a quote by volume, rather than
                    weight. I think I had about 400 cu ft. Also, I did half the packing.
                    They wouldn't insure stuff I packed myself against damage due to poor
                    packing, natch.

--

Comment

I used EuroUSA from Mildenhall. VERY good, and very helpful. I dealt with a very nice lady called Louise.
                      Bad form to reply to one's own posts, but I shipped across around half a
                      container, and it cost about UKL1500 including insurance. If you are
                      shipping books, make sure that you get a quote by volume, rather than
                      weight. I think I had about 400 cu ft. Also, I did half the packing.
                      They wouldn't insure stuff I packed myself against damage due to poor
                      packing, natch.

--

Comment

Get at least 3 quotes, including Cadogan Tate. Then get CT to match the median of the other quotes. Worked for us - they were very helpful and reliable. Just wanted to add: make sure that whoever you decide to use are members of the Association of International Removers (or whatever the official body is called). I've heard some horror stories about international removal companies...
                        Hi,
                        Membership in the association does not necessarily mean that the company
                        is reputable, responsible, or reliable. Been there, done that and had a
                        serious accident because of negligence on the part of an associated
                        firm. Still living the horror story. To the OP: PM me and I'll
                        give you the name and a brief description of the issue, if you are
                        interested.

~SecretGarden

--

Comment

Get at least 3 quotes, including Cadogan Tate. Then get CT to match the median of the other quotes. Worked for us - they were very helpful and reliable. Just wanted to add: make sure that whoever you decide to use are members of the Association of International Removers (or whatever the official body is called). I've heard some horror stories about international removal companies...
                          Hi,
                          Membership in the association does not necessarily mean that the company
                          is reputable, responsible, or reliable. Been there, done that and had a
                          serious accident because of negligence on the part of an associated
                          firm. Still living the horror story. To the OP: PM me and I'll
                          give you the name and a brief description of the issue, if you are
                          interested.

~SecretGarden

--

Comment

We used Deliver USA out of Baltimore. Fox Shipping in the UK affiliates
                            with them. Aside from a hiccup when Ken's goods got over here (we were
                            charged a $74 US Customs fee-shipper claimed all containers coming into
                            Port of Baltimore were charged), they were great, courteous and
                            reasonable rates.

Comment

We used Deliver USA out of Baltimore. Fox Shipping in the UK affiliates
                              with them. Aside from a hiccup when Ken's goods got over here (we were
                              charged a $74 US Customs fee-shipper claimed all containers coming into
                              Port of Baltimore were charged), they were great, courteous and
                              reasonable rates.

Comment

Working...
                              X