This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a dumb question

I think you guys are missing the point Helen was making. There are 3 types of cards. She was referring to the cards that say "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT". This is different than cards that say "VA- LID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". All of you that chimed in to say she was wrong mistakenly thought the was trying to remove rest- rictions on the latter. Rather, she was referring to the former. Here's what the SSA site says: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.ht- ml#types Types of cards We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your na- me and Social Security number. The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. We issue it to: U.S. citizens; and People lawfully admitted to the United States with permanent DHS work authorization. The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” We issue this type of card to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work. The third type of card shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VAL- ID FOR EMPLOYMENT.” We issue it to people: From other countries lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for need- ing a Social Security number; and Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
    Nope didn't miss it that's why I asked for clarification from tavanna.
    But now I need to know is tavanna really Jason? And if so, then T/J di-
    dn't get her SSN on a the K-1 but some other way.

--
    I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Jason, you applied for the I-765 which is an EAD (employment authori- zation document). Assuming you came in on a K1 visa and applied for an SSN, then your SS card probably says "Not valid without DHS auth- orization" Even when your I-765 gets approved, you cannot get this changed/remov- ed from your SS card. You can only get this removed from your card on- ce your I-485 has been approved and you have an I-551 stamp in your passport proving that you are a Permanent Resident. But my question is, since the I-551 expires, can you really get the card changed at this point, or do you have to wait until you have the I-751 is approved to get the change?
      You're entitled to a legend free ssc the moment you are approved for re-
      sidency and have that elusive I-551 stamp in your passport. The expira-
      tion of the stamp is meaningless. You get the new card based on your
      status which does not expire even if it is conditional. The conditions
      can be either removed by the USCIS or the status terminated. But while
      you are waiting for the I-751 decision you are still a resident and ent-
      itled to the legend free card.

Rete

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Nope didn't miss it that's why I asked for clarification from tavanna. But now I need to know is tavanna really Jason? And if so, then T/J didn't get her SSN on a the K-1 but some other way.
        I'm pretty sure Tavanna and Jason are two different people.

Rene

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

I'm pretty sure Tavanna and Jason are two different people. Rene
          I can assure you we are.. I dont know who Tavanna is.. but Im Jason who
          used to be Gaylord.

Its hard enough being me without being anyone else

Jay

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

> Hello All:
            I am going down to my Dallas Social Security office to get a new card that does not say "Not Valid For Employment". I have an EAD and my 1-797 NOA notice for the I485 filing. However, the K1 on my passportn is expired along with the I94 (August 29). I see on the SS form that I have to show proof of legal residency?
            What do I show for that since the visa on the passport is expired? Will my I-797 notice suffice? Many thanks. PS: If I can't get an updated card, can I still work with my old SSN card and my EAD?
            OK if you were issued a card that has “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT” printed on
            it and have a valid EAD card you can go apply for a replacement card and
            that card should have “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION” printed
            on the card. I would highly suggest that you do this since SSA reports to
            immigration when wages are reported for a non-work authorized SSN. Even
            though you have the EAD card and are authorized to work you could avoid
            some explaining later on.

If you have either of the legends shown above printed on the card and are
            issued an I-551 stamp or card (including the 2 year conditional card) you
            can go to the SSA office to apply for a replacement card that has no
            restrictions printed on the card.

RM 00203.570 Actions Required When Lawfully Admitted Alien's Status Changes

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203570

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Tavana Your SS Card does not only say "not valid for employment" if you got it because of a K-1 visa. It says something more like "Not Valid for Employment Without INS Permission". Please verify this so the issue can be rectified and put to rest. Rete
              Hello Rete:

My SS Card says "Not Valid For Employment" - I got it in 1988 when I fi-
              rst arrived in the US as a student.

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Hello Rete: My SS Card says "Not Valid For Employment" - I got it in 1988 when I first arrived in the US as a student. Also I am Tavana - different from Jason. Sorry for opening a whole can of worms with this thread
                Not a problem Tavana ... worms are good for gardens and fishing ;-)

Now explain why you did not change the social security card when you got
                here on a K-1. You were entitled to do so without having an EAD card.

Anyway ... hope you get it done soon.

Rete

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Not a problem Tavana ... worms are good for gardens and fishing ;-) Now explain why you did not change the social security card when you got here on a K-1. You were entitled to do so without having an EAD card. Anyway ... hope you get it done soon. Rete
                  I guess I was spooked by the SSA and wanted to do it after I got my EAD
                  - I am on the expedited DORA pilot program in Dallas.

Anways, I went down to the SSA today and I am still not in the SAVE sys-
                  tem - 3 months - is that normal? The lady said that she will send in
                  for manual verification and if everything comes back ok I can have the
                  card that says "Valid for Employment with INS Auth" or something like
                  that. She also said that if I get my green card in the 6-8 weeks I sho-
                  uld take it down to the office and she can use the reference number (th-
                  at was generated today) to amend the SS card request.

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Hello Rete: My SS Card says "Not Valid For Employment" - I got it in 1988 when I first arrived in the US as a student. Also I am Tavana - different from Jason. Sorry for opening a whole can of worms with this thread
                    I got my SS card when I came in 2000 (on an F-1 visa) and mine says "va-
                    lid to work only with INS authorization" probably because we got it at a
                    different time ?

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

I got my SS card when I came in 2000 (on an F-1 visa) and mine says "valid to work only with INS authorization" probably because we got it at a different time ?
                      I got mine way back in 1988 when things were quite different - a rep fr-
                      om the local SSA office came to our school and helped all the Internati-
                      onal students fill out the form and take the completed forms back to the
                      office with him. 1 week later we all had our cards - my first one did
                      not say anything on it and like an idiot I lost it - when I got a repla-
                      cement that same year it had the "Not Valid For Employment". Not that
                      it mattered...I was under no illusion that I could work anywhere with
                      the "clean" card.

The SSA office took a copy of my 797 - thought they cannot accept that
                      as proof of legal residency. Can this create problems for me since my
                      actual K1 is expired? Worry, worry, worry. Gosh, I have lost half my
                      hair since this whole K1 saga began. What we do for love!

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

tutor4tavana wrote:
                        Not a problem Tavana ... worms are good for gardens and fishing ;-) Now explain why you did not change the social security card when you got here on a K-1. You were entitled to do so without having an EAD card. Anyway ... hope you get it done soon. Rete Anyways, I went down to the SSA today and I am still not in the SAVE sys- tem - 3 months - is that normal?
                        Not normal, but possible.
                        The lady said that she will send in for manual verification
                        Was this three months after you applied that the SSA office finally got
                        around to sending in the G-845 or you waited three months before applying?
                        and if everything comes back ok I can have the card that says "Valid for Employment with INS Auth" or something like that.
                        “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION”

Comment

Working...
                        X