What do I show for that since the visa on the passport is expired? Will
    my I797 notice suffice?

Many thanks.

PS: If I cant get an updated card, can I still work with my old SSN ca-
    rd and my EAD?

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Maybe a dumb question

Hello All: I am going down to my Dallas Social Securit office to get a new card that does not say "Not Valid For Employment". I have an EAD and my 1-797 NOA notice for the I485 filing. However, the K1 on my passport is expired along with the I94 (August 29). I see on the SS form that I have to show proof of legal residency? What do I show for that since the visa on the passport is expired? Will my I797 notice suffice? Many thanks. PS: If I cant get an updated card, can I still work with my old SSN card and my EAD?
    I believe that you will have to wait till you have your green card to
    get an updated SSN card.
    In the meantime you can use your old SSN card and EAD.

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Hello All: I am going down to my Dallas Social Securit office to get a new card that does not say "Not Valid For Employment". I have an EAD and my 1-797 NOA notice for the I485 filing. However, the K1 on my passport is expired along with the I94 (August 29). I see on the SS form that I have to show proof of legal residency? What do I show for that since the visa on the passport is expired? Will my I797 notice suffice? Many thanks. PS: If I cant get an updated card, can I still work with my old SSN card and my EAD?
      Just go there and show them your EAD. Since immigrations have allowed
      you to work, you are here legally. A green card take years in some stat-
      es to get, and they wouldn't have given you an EAD if you weren't here
      legally. I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. Good luck.

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Just go there and show them your EAD. Since immigrations have allowed you to work, you are here legally. A green card take years in some st- ates to get, and they wouldn't have given you an EAD if you weren't here legally. I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. Good luck.
        You know, Helen, you shouldn't post if you don't have the right answer.

This poster is not eligible for a non-restrictive SS card since she is
        not yet a permanent resident. She is going there to get something done
        that is not going to happen.

Go when you have your green card in hand or at the very least the I-551
        in your passport after your AOS interview.

Rete

--
        I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

As others have said, you cannot get the legend removed until you get yo-
          ur I-551 stamp or green card, even though you have your EAD.

That's because the EAD isn't permanent, but will expire after some poin-
          t, and your work authorization will expire along with it. Once you have
          permanent residency, that work authorization has no expiration, so at
          that point you can get the legend removed.

~ Jenney

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

You know, Helen, you shouldn't post if you don't have the right answe- r. This poster is not eligible for a non-restrictive SS card since she is not yet a permanent resident. She is going there to get something do- ne that is not going to happen. Go when you have your green card in hand or at the very least the I-5- 51 in your passport after your AOS interview. Rete
            Ha ha, funny guy. Like everything everyone here writes is 100% correct.
            All I said to the OP was to go down there and try!!! Because that's the
            only way she'll now for sure if the card can be changed or not, no one
            here is able to give her a guarantee. She obviously already has a SS ca-
            rd, and in the state I live you just need to show an EAD to change the
            name or valid for employment. If she has an EAD, she is entitled to a
            SSC without the "not valid for employment" notice on it. I'm not saying
            it works that way in every other state, but in Colorado it does, because
            I have experienced that myself. I would post my opinion if I didn't know
            anything about or had personal experience in it. How many times have you
            changed the info or restrictions on your SSC?

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

It hasn't been completed yet. I was going to have a coming out party and you could have guess what part was coming out LOL But now my surp- rised is ruined.
              Oh lord...
              ::runs away::

lol

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Ha ha, funny guy. Like everything everyone here writes is 100% correc- t. All I said to the OP was to go down there and try!!! Because that's the only way she'll now for sure if the card can be changed or not, no one here is able to give her a guarantee. She obviously already has a SS card, and in the state I live you just need to show an EAD to chan- ge the name or valid for employment. If she has an EAD, she is entitl- ed to a SSC without the "not valid for employment" notice on it. I'm not saying it works that way in every other state, but in Colorado it does, because I have experienced that myself. I would post my opinion if I didn't know anything about or had personal experience in it. How many times have you changed the info or restrictions on your SSC?
                1) Rete is a woman, not a man.

2) She has been a member of this NG since April 2001. You'll see that,
                to date, she's made 8,122 posts.

You've been a member since.... this month. To date, you've made 14 post-
                s.

Gee -- who is more likely to have more experience and knowledge, direct
                or indirect, with this stuff?

That's NOT what you said. You said, "Since immigrations have allowed
                you to work, you are here legally. A green card take years in some st-
                ates to get, and they wouldn't have given you an EAD if you weren't
                here legally."

It has nothing to do with whether one is here legally. It has to do with
                the period of validity of the work authorization itself. An EAD is not
                permanent work authorization, it's only temporary. If the card expires,
                then so does the work authorization.

So you can't have the legend removed until there is no expiration date
                to the work authorization, and that comes either with permanent reside-
                ncy, or naturalization. That is FACT. The OP has neither, so it does
                him no good to waste his time and go to the SSA when they will just tu-
                rn him away.

If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe the SSA: http://www.ssa.g-
                ov/ssnumber/cards.htm

BTW, the OP is male, not female.

The Social Security Administration is a federal agency, not a state age-
                ncy. It is not like your state's Dept of Motor Vehicles. All the same
                rules apply to everyone, regardless of what state you're in. The SSA in
                Colorado doesn't work any differently than New York or Iowa or Alabama.

This is not true. As previously explained, only permanent residency or
                naturalization qualifies one to have a SS card without the legend on it.
                Again, you can read this for yourself on the SSA website: http://www.ss-
                a.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

Firstly, as already mentioned, the SSA is a FEDERAL agency, meaning it
                works on a national level. It does NOT vary state-by-state.

Secondly, how can you have already experienced this when in your first
                post you said, "Just go there and show them your EAD. ... I'm doing the
                same thing tomorrow." You only wrote that two hours ago, so unless you
                live in the future, I don't see how that's possible.

~ Jenney

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Tavana

Your SS Card does not only say "not valid for employment" if you got it
                  because of a K-1 visa. It says something more like "Not Valid for Empl-
                  oyment Without INS Permission".

Please verify this so the issue can be rectified and put to rest.

Rete

--
                  I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

1) Rete is a woman, not a man. 2) She has been a member of this NG since April 2001. You'll see that, to date, she's made 8,122 posts. You've been a member since.... this month. To date, you've made 14 posts. Gee -- who is more likely to have more experience and knowledge, dire- ct or indirect, with this stuff? That's NOT what you said. You said, "Since immigrations have allowed you to work, you are here legally. A green card take years in some st- ates to get, and they wouldn't have given you an EAD if you weren't here legally." It has nothing to do with whether one is here legally. It has to do with the period of validity of the work authorization itself. An EAD is not permanent work authorization, it's only temporary. If the card expires, then so does the work authorization. So you can't have the legend removed until there is no expiration date to the work authorization, and that comes either with permanent resid- ency, or naturalization. That is FACT. The OP has neither, so it does him no good to waste his time and go to the SSA when they will just turn him away. If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe the SSA: http://www.ssa- .gov/ssnumber/cards.htm BTW, the OP is male, not female. The Social Security Administration is a federal agency, not a state agency. It is not like your state's Dept of Motor Vehicles. All the same rules apply to everyone, regardless of what state you're in. The SSA in Colorado doesn't work any differently than New York or Iowa or Alabama. This is not true. As previously explained, only permanent residency or naturalization qualifies one to have a SS card without the legend on it. Again, you can read this for yourself on the SSA website: http://- www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm Firstly, as already mentioned, the SSA is a FEDERAL agency, meaning it works on a national level. It does NOT vary state-by-state. Secondly, how can you have already experienced this when in your first post you said, "Just go there and show them your EAD. ... I'm doing the same thing tomorrow." You only wrote that two hours ago, so unless you live in the future, I don't see how that's possible. ~ Jenney
                    Ok, I'm leaving the forum, since I'm wrong.

I live close by my local SSA and went over there after my inital post
                    and applied for a new SSC valid for work without a problem, by showing
                    them my EAD.

From SSA website:
                    Need to show proof of Alien status such as I-551, I-94, I-688B .....OR
                    I-766(EAD).

That was my personal experience.
                    I wish everyone all the best with their cases, and a great day.
                    Ciao

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

It hasn't been completed yet. I was going to have a coming out party and you could have guess what part was coming out LOL But now my surp- rised is ruined.
                      Can we still have a party though, even without anything coming out?

Hmmm I guess the party-icon doesn't work anymore... (maybe it wasn't au-
                      thorized?)

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Can we still have a party though, even without anything coming out? Hmmm I guess the party-icon doesn't work anymore... (maybe it wasn't authorized?)
                        Talk about confusing this dumb brit... what the 'eck is a I-766.. will I
                        get one of them on Thursday, I applied for a I-765.

Thanks

Jay

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Talk about confusing this dumb brit... what the 'eck is a I-766.. will I get one of them on Thursday, I applied for a I-765. Thanks Jay
                          Jason, you applied for the I-765 which is an EAD (employment authorizat-
                          ion document). Assuming you came in on a K1 visa and applied for an SSN,
                          then your SS card probably says "Not valid without DHS authorization"

Even when your I-765 gets approved, you cannot get this changed/removed
                          from your SS card. You can only get this removed from your card once yo-
                          ur I-485 has been approved and you have an I-551 stamp in your passport
                          proving that you are a Permanent Resident.

But my question is, since the I-551 expires, can you really get the card
                          changed at this point, or do you have to wait until you have the I-751
                          is approved to get the change?

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

Jason, you applied for the I-765 which is an EAD (employment authori- zation document). Assuming you came in on a K1 visa and applied for an SSN, then your SS card probably says "Not valid without DHS auth- orization" Even when your I-765 gets approved, you cannot get this changed/remov- ed from your SS card. You can only get this removed from your card on- ce your I-485 has been approved and you have an I-551 stamp in your passport proving that you are a Permanent Resident. But my question is, since the I-551 expires, can you really get the card changed at this point, or do you have to wait until you have the I-751 is approved to get the change?
                            I Think I figured it out now, does this sound right.. when you file the
                            I-765 paperwork, you get a EAD card which used to be a I-688B but with
                            recent changes it is now a I-766.

Talk about making things confusing... I know that the restrictions on my
                            SS card wont change for a while, however mine actually says "not valid
                            for employment" Im going to take all my new gumf into the SS office on
                            friday and get one that says "can work with ins/dhs......"

Jay

--

Comment

Maybe a dumb question

I think you guys are missing the point Helen was making.

There are 3 types of cards. She was referring to the cards that say "NOT
                              VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT". This is different than cards that say "VALID FOR
                              WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". All of you that chimed in to say she
                              was wrong mistakenly thought the was trying to remove restrictions on
                              the latter. Rather, she was referring to the former.

Here's what the SSA site says: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#types

Types of cards
                              We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name
                              and Social Security number.

The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and
                              lets you work without restriction. We issue it to:

U.S. citizens; and
                              People lawfully admitted to the United States with permanent DHS work
                              authorization.

The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR
                              WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” We issue this type of card to people
                              lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS
                              authorization to work.

The third type of card shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VALID
                              FOR EMPLOYMENT.” We issue it to people:

From other countries lawfully admitted to the United States without work
                              authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for needing a
                              Social Security number; and

Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security
                              number to get a benefit or service.

--

Comment

Working...
                              X