X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN Idiocy !!!!

Went and applied for a SSN last week and the lady at the counter tells
    me that I should get a number within 30-60 days.

Which is all well and good - except - that I am on a K1 Visa and have
    to get married within 90 days and cannot get a marriage license without
    a SSN !!!!

This is cutting it all a bit fine and makes a mockery of getting married
    within 90 days.

I have been reading previous posts about SSN's and the like and I will
    have to go back to the office and check out what is going on.

Did anyone else have to have a SSN before they could get a
    marriage license ?

Thanks..

~Sean

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Originally posted by SeanH
    ...snip

Did anyone else have to have a SSN before they could get a marriage license ?

Thanks..
    ~Sean

Nope, had nothing but the K-1 when I got married. Is this an Iowa law???
    Sounds crazy to me.

Hope someone from Iowa can help.

Regards

-=-

Scarlett

--
    Scarlett Hill

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

...snip

Thanks..
      ~Sean

Nope, had nothing but the K-1 when I got married. Is this an Iowa law???
      Sounds crazy to me.

Hope someone from Iowa can help.

Regards

-=-

Scarlett

--
      Scarlett Hill

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Sean,

Your problem is not with the Social Security Administration - it's with
        the State of Iowa.

Regards, JEff

Went and applied for a SSN last week and the lady at the counter tells me that I should get a number within 30-60 days.

Which is all well and good - except - that I am on a K1 Visa and have to get married within 90 days and cannot get a marriage license without a SSN !!!!

This is cutting it all a bit fine and makes a mockery of getting married within 90 days.

I have been reading previous posts about SSN's and the like and I will have to go back to the office and check out what is going on.

Thanks..
        ~Sean

--

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Sean,

Your problem is not with the Social Security Administration - it's with
          the State of Iowa.

Regards, JEff

Went and applied for a SSN last week and the lady at the counter tells me that I should get a number within 30-60 days.

Which is all well and good - except - that I am on a K1 Visa and have to get married within 90 days and cannot get a marriage license without a SSN !!!!

This is cutting it all a bit fine and makes a mockery of getting married within 90 days.

I have been reading previous posts about SSN's and the like and I will have to go back to the office and check out what is going on.

Thanks..
          ~Sean

--

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

I think the law only require you provide your SSN only to IRS. All other
            request is against the law.

"SeanH" <[email protected]_expats.com> wrote in message
            news:[email protected]
            Went and applied for a SSN last week and the lady at the counter tells me that I should get a number within 30-60 days. Which is all well and good - except - that I am on a K1 Visa and have to get married within 90 days and cannot get a marriage license without a SSN !!!! This is cutting it all a bit fine and makes a mockery of getting married within 90 days. I have been reading previous posts about SSN's and the like and I will have to go back to the office and check out what is going on. Did anyone else have to have a SSN before they could get a marriage license ? Thanks.. ~Sean -- Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

I think the law only require you provide your SSN only to IRS. All other
              request is against the law.

Went and applied for a SSN last week and the lady at the counter tells me that I should get a number within 30-60 days. Which is all well and good - except - that I am on a K1 Visa and have to get married within 90 days and cannot get a marriage license without a SSN !!!! This is cutting it all a bit fine and makes a mockery of getting married within 90 days. I have been reading previous posts about SSN's and the like and I will have to go back to the office and check out what is going on. Did anyone else have to have a SSN before they could get a marriage license ? Thanks.. ~Sean -- Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Check out

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/

for marriage license requirements. Most of the states allow 2 other
                forms of ID as proof. Passport, certified birth certificate etc,.

The instructions for Iowa downloaded from here

]http://www.johnson-
                county.com/countyrecorder/pdf/marriageInstructions.pdf[/url]

state: "Applicants are NOT required to be U.S. citizens; however

all parties must provide satisfactory proof of identification

to the notary public upon signing their application to

marry."

If one county is giving you trouble try the next one over. The first
                link under Iowa lists all the County Recorders and Phone #s. It can not
                be more than 30-40 miles to the next county seat as counties in Iowa are
                fairly small.

Good Luck

tcat

--

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Check out

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/

for marriage license requirements. Most of the states allow 2 other
                  forms of ID as proof. Passport, certified birth certificate etc,.

The instructions for Iowa downloaded from here

]http://www.johnson-
                  county.com/countyrecorder/pdf/marriageInstructions.pdf[/url]

state: "Applicants are NOT required to be U.S. citizens; however

all parties must provide satisfactory proof of identification

to the notary public upon signing their application to

marry."

If one county is giving you trouble try the next one over. The first
                  link under Iowa lists all the County Recorders and Phone #s. It can not
                  be more than 30-40 miles to the next county seat as counties in Iowa are
                  fairly small.

Good Luck

tcat

--

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Most states say you need an SSN to get married but when you look at the
                    small print it says if you don't have one you can sign a form to say you
                    don't have one. At least one state (I think it was N. Carolina) had a silly
                    amendment to that that said if you had applied for an SSN you needed to have
                    it.

Andy.

--
                    I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Most states say you need an SSN to get married but when you look at the
                      small print it says if you don't have one you can sign a form to say you
                      don't have one. At least one state (I think it was N. Carolina) had a silly
                      amendment to that that said if you had applied for an SSN you needed to have
                      it.

Andy.

--
                      I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

blank wrote:
                        I think the law only require you provide your SSN only to IRS. All other request is against the law.
                        The Social Security number (SSN) was originally devised to keep an accurate
                        record of each individual's earnings, and to subsequently monitor benefits
                        paid under the Social Security program. However, use of the SSN as a general
                        identifier has grown to the point where it is the most commonly used and
                        convenient identifier for all types of record-keeping systems in the United
                        States.

Specific laws require a person to provide his/her SSN for certain purposes.
                        While we cannot give you a comprehensive list of all situations where an SSN
                        might be required or requested, an SSN is required/requested by:

· Internal Revenue Service for tax returns and federal loans
                        · Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes
                        · States for the school lunch program
                        · Banks for monetary transactions
                        · Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number
                        · Department of Labor for workers’ compensation
                        · Department of Education for Student Loans
                        · States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle or
                        drivers license law within its jurisdiction
                        · States for child support enforcement
                        · States for commercial driver's licenses
                        · States for Food Stamps
                        · States for Medicaid
                        · States for Unemployment Compensation
                        · States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
                        · U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

The Privacy Act regulates the use of SSNs by government agencies. When a
                        Federal, State, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his
                        or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform
                        the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting
                        the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will
                        be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to
                        provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to
                        give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for
                        which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other
                        services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a
                        credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.
                        Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number
                        directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your
                        number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the
                        consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you
                        decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...php?p_faqid=78

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

blank wrote:
                          I think the law only require you provide your SSN only to IRS. All other request is against the law.
                          The Social Security number (SSN) was originally devised to keep an accurate
                          record of each individual's earnings, and to subsequently monitor benefits
                          paid under the Social Security program. However, use of the SSN as a general
                          identifier has grown to the point where it is the most commonly used and
                          convenient identifier for all types of record-keeping systems in the United
                          States.

Specific laws require a person to provide his/her SSN for certain purposes.
                          While we cannot give you a comprehensive list of all situations where an SSN
                          might be required or requested, an SSN is required/requested by:

· Internal Revenue Service for tax returns and federal loans
                          · Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes
                          · States for the school lunch program
                          · Banks for monetary transactions
                          · Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number
                          · Department of Labor for workers’ compensation
                          · Department of Education for Student Loans
                          · States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle or
                          drivers license law within its jurisdiction
                          · States for child support enforcement
                          · States for commercial driver's licenses
                          · States for Food Stamps
                          · States for Medicaid
                          · States for Unemployment Compensation
                          · States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
                          · U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

The Privacy Act regulates the use of SSNs by government agencies. When a
                          Federal, State, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his
                          or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform
                          the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting
                          the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will
                          be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to
                          provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to
                          give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for
                          which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other
                          services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a
                          credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.
                          Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number
                          directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your
                          number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the
                          consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you
                          decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...php?p_faqid=78

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Can you move the wedding to Minnesota? My husband and I got married
                            here in MN without him having a SS#. When I applied for the marriage
                            license, I just had to sign a little form that said he didn't have a
                            SS#.

And, now that I'm thinking about it, I recall that we looked around at
                            the different courthouses in different counties because some did not
                            allow us to apply for the license without two SS#'s. So you might try
                            in other counties in Iowa, as well.

Jodi

Comment

SSN Idiocy !!!!

Can you move the wedding to Minnesota? My husband and I got married
                              here in MN without him having a SS#. When I applied for the marriage
                              license, I just had to sign a little form that said he didn't have a
                              SS#.

And, now that I'm thinking about it, I recall that we looked around at
                              the different courthouses in different counties because some did not
                              allow us to apply for the license without two SS#'s. So you might try
                              in other counties in Iowa, as well.

Jodi

Comment

Working...
                              X