Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Driving License and SSN Exempt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL.. well my experience here in the US has been that without a car you do not get very far LOL. First thing tomorrow I will call them and see what is the rules and if I can get a learner permit without a SSN and even maybe a full driving license once I pass the practical test. Patrick
    Let me know....you know how bad I want it :-)

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

Let me know....you know how bad I want it :-)
      You will be the first to know
      BTW , don't remember, have you already filed your AOS?
      Patrick

--
      inquisitive40

Comment

You will be the first to know BTW , don't remember, have you already filed your AOS? Patrick
        Nah...still getting papers together, I needed an sponsor and right now
        we are in the process of getting the tax returns together. But as soon
        that is done I will be at my lawyers office to sign the paperwork and
        make my appointment to the Fresno immigration office.

You will know and understand that it's still a nerve wrecking
        time for me...

--

Comment

Nah...still getting papers together, I needed an sponsor and right now we are in the process of getting the tax returns together. But as soon that is done I will be at my lawyers office to sign the paperwork and make my appointment to the Fresno immigration office. You will know and understand that it's still a nerve wrecking time for me...
          Well I am PRETTY sure that without being legally in the country you will
          not be allowed to get a driving license, the require documentation to
          show you are legally here.

Patrick

--
          inquisitive40

Comment

Nah...still getting papers together, I needed an sponsor and right now we are in the process of getting the tax returns together. But as soon that is done I will be at my lawyers office to sign the paperwork and make my appointment to the Fresno immigration office. You will know and understand that it's still a nerve wrecking time for me...
            Patrick,

I found this posting on this issue

berga
            King of the Mountain

----------------------------------------------------------------------
            ----------

Quote:
            Originally posted by Gina
            Hi everyone... you all don't know me, but I feel like I know you because
            I
            come looking here to find all my information whenever I have
            questions...
            and usually a search helps me out. So hello and thank you!

I'm hoping someone has tried to get a California drivers license
            recently,
            so they tell me if they had to take a drive test or not.

My dilemma is this. Last month I finally sucked it up and sat at the
            stupid
            DMV, talked to someone about getting my license. I'm an Australian
            national,
            I have an Australian license. The staff at the DMV were really nice and
            it
            seemed very simple. They said all I need to do is pass a written test
            and I
            would be issued a CA license.

The fact is, I'd been in there several times and each time I'd been told
            I
            didn't need to take a drive test, all I needed to do was take a written
            test. Which last month I finally did and they said my license was in the
            mail.

I ended up moving earlier than anticipated and I know government mail
            isn't
            supposed to be forwarded (although lord knows all my INS stuff has
            always
            been forwarded no matter how much they say it won't be). So I called
            because
            I was worried about my license being returned to the DMV.

The rep says I need a drive test. I questioned his information and he
            got
            all defensive saying "how can you expect to come to this country and
            have us
            just recognize your license like that? you need a drive test"...
            Ehhhh...Excuse me buddy, I don't "expect" anything, I'm going by what
            YOU
            PEOPLE told me, on numerous occaisons... get it right.

OK, he refuses to get me a supervisor, my husband calls back to complain
            and
            so do I... Both reps are adamant that I DO NOT need a drive test. The
            second
            rep I talk to looks up the status and tells me my license is "in
            process"
            and is just awaiting for my SSN and associated info I provided to
            validate... she then transfers me to a supervisor and the supervisor
            backs
            up the rude rep and says I need a drive test too.

I know I went off on a tangent there (apologies... venting)... but I'm
            hoping someone here has been through this process here in California and
            can
            tell me whether they needed a drive test or not. I'm so busy. I work
            full-time, I go to school, the next time DMV is open on a saturday is 3
            weeks away... If I don't have to take a drive test, I don't wanna, just
            because some crusty old f___ at DMV wants to make my life a little more
            difficult. I don't think thats unreasonable of me. If I have to take it
            though, I have no problem with that either... I just want the right
            information, thats all.

I searched and I found lots of DMV experiences, but none very recent or
            specifically for California... Again, I really appreciate your help. I
            don't
            know where I'd be without this forum! Maybe I should post my AOS
            experience/timeline so that I can give back a bit and contribute some...

Regards, Gina

Hi Gina
            I got my DL last autumn, the test is not that hard actually
            but I had to take both. However they issued a interim DL while I was
            waiting for my SS number and so that I could take the behind the wheel
            test.
            Good luck
            D
            14-Apr I130 approved online
            2-Dec SSN in mail
            25-Nov Applied for SSN
            24-Nov EAD in mail
            18-Nov I-765 approved online
            4-Oct Biometrics appointment
            27-Sept 1st NOA for EAD arrived in mail
            24-Sept 1st NOA for EAD online
            21-Sept Sent EAD application
            23-Sept passed CA written driverstest
            18-Sept FINALLY WITH MY LOVE
            21-July FINALLY I GOT THE K3 VISA
            1-July I now have all the papers needed for the interview
            13-June Got the Interview date scheduled the 21 July, notified by mail
            11-June Sent the checklist to the Embassy
            6-June Police Cert and Birth Cert arrived in mail
            5-June Medical Exam Finished
            2-June Military Records in mail
            --
            Started gathering Info they need
            --
            23-May Sent back the first papers they needed
            20-May Package in my mail
            19-May Sent to me from embassy
            17-May At the embassy
            14-May NVC passed it on to Stockholm, Sweden
            12-May NVC received our case
            9-May approval in mail I-129F
            5-May approval I-129F online (K3)
            18-April 1st NOA I-129F (K3)
            24-March 1st NOA I-130 (California)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
            ----------
            Last edited by berga : Apr 21st 2004 at 12:15 pm.

--

Comment

Patrick, I found this posting on this issue berga King of the Mountain offline Joined: May 2003 Location: Sweden Posts: 111 Re: California Driver's License? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- Quote: Originally posted by Gina Hi everyone... you all don't know me, but I feel like I know you because I come looking here to find all my information whenever I have questions... and usually a search helps me out. So hello and thank you! I'm hoping someone has tried to get a California drivers license recently, so they tell me if they had to take a drive test or not. My dilemma is this. Last month I finally sucked it up and sat at the stupid DMV, talked to someone about getting my license. I'm an Australian national, I have an Australian license. The staff at the DMV were really nice and it seemed very simple. They said all I need to do is pass a written test and I would be issued a CA license. The fact is, I'd been in there several times and each time I'd been told I didn't need to take a drive test, all I needed to do was take a written test. Which last month I finally did and they said my license was in the mail. I ended up moving earlier than anticipated and I know government mail isn't supposed to be forwarded (although lord knows all my INS stuff has always been forwarded no matter how much they say it won't be). So I called because I was worried about my license being returned to the DMV. The rep says I need a drive test. I questioned his information and he got all defensive saying "how can you expect to come to this country and have us just recognize your license like that? you need a drive test"... Ehhhh...Excuse me buddy, I don't "expect" anything, I'm going by what YOU PEOPLE told me, on numerous occaisons... get it right. OK, he refuses to get me a supervisor, my husband calls back to complain and so do I... Both reps are adamant that I DO NOT need a drive test. The second rep I talk to looks up the status and tells me my license is "in process" and is just awaiting for my SSN and associated info I provided to validate... she then transfers me to a supervisor and the supervisor backs up the rude rep and says I need a drive test too. I know I went off on a tangent there (apologies... venting)... but I'm hoping someone here has been through this process here in California and can tell me whether they needed a drive test or not. I'm so busy. I work full-time, I go to school, the next time DMV is open on a saturday is 3 weeks away... If I don't have to take a drive test, I don't wanna, just because some crusty old f___ at DMV wants to make my life a little more difficult. I don't think thats unreasonable of me. If I have to take it though, I have no problem with that either... I just want the right information, thats all. I searched and I found lots of DMV experiences, but none very recent or specifically for California... Again, I really appreciate your help. I don't know where I'd be without this forum! Maybe I should post my AOS experience/timeline so that I can give back a bit and contribute some... Regards, Gina Hi Gina I got my DL last autumn, the test is not that hard actually but I had to take both. However they issued a interim DL while I was waiting for my SS number and so that I could take the behind the wheel test. Good luck D __________________ __________2003________________ ---------Sweden to California------------- +++Timeline I-130 and K3 (I-129F)+++ 14-Apr I130 approved online 2-Dec SSN in mail 25-Nov Applied for SSN 24-Nov EAD in mail 18-Nov I-765 approved online 4-Oct Biometrics appointment 27-Sept 1st NOA for EAD arrived in mail 24-Sept 1st NOA for EAD online 21-Sept Sent EAD application 23-Sept passed CA written driverstest 18-Sept FINALLY WITH MY LOVE 21-July FINALLY I GOT THE K3 VISA 1-July I now have all the papers needed for the interview 13-June Got the Interview date scheduled the 21 July, notified by mail 11-June Sent the checklist to the Embassy 6-June Police Cert and Birth Cert arrived in mail 5-June Medical Exam Finished 2-June Military Records in mail -- Started gathering Info they need -- 23-May Sent back the first papers they needed 20-May Package in my mail 19-May Sent to me from embassy 17-May At the embassy 14-May NVC passed it on to Stockholm, Sweden 12-May NVC received our case 9-May approval in mail I-129F 5-May approval I-129F online (K3) 18-April 1st NOA I-129F (K3) 24-March 1st NOA I-130 (California) ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- Last edited by berga : Apr 21st 2004 at 12:15 pm.
              Well that looks encouraging for getting the test with no SSN.
              I have no idea why those reps told her she did not need a practical
              driving test. It is in black and white on the DMV web site that anyone
              from outside the US MUST take both written and practical exam.

Maybe they thought her country was just a US state , remember US
              geography at school is one of the worst in the world

Patrick

--
              inquisitive40

Comment

Well that looks encouraging for getting the test with no SSN. I have no idea why those reps told her she did not need a practical driving test. It is in black and white on the DMV web site that anyone from outside the US MUST take both written and practical exam. Maybe they thought her country was just a US state , remember US geography at school is one of the worst in the world Patrick
                I know...when my husband came over to see me for the first time in the
                Netherlands he booked an airline ticket to London, thinking that it
                would only be an hour drive to Amsterdam. When I told him that there is
                a North Sea in between and that it took more than an hour drive he did
                not know what I was talking about. When I told him the geographic
                information we had a long laugh, and it still brings smiles to my face
                till this day!! :-)

--

Comment

I know...when my husband came over to see me for the first time in the Netherlands he booked an airline ticket to London, thinking that it would only be an hour drive to Amsterdam. When I told him that there is a North Sea in between and that it took more than an hour drive he did not know what I was talking about. When I told him the geographic information we had a long laugh, and it still brings smiles to my face till this day!! :-)
                  Sadly US High School students don't even have a grasp of the geography
                  of their own country let alone another country
                  Patrick

--
                  inquisitive40

Comment

Hi Hyper! I don't know about the illegal ones, but my friend's husband is definitely legal, and he got one without the SSN. LOL You aren't around much lately! How's your job search coming along? Rene
                    I am on but I don't know the answer to many questions.. so I bet
                    remind quiet
                    I have decided to forward the job search for when I come back
                    from Spain, It's hard to get a job when I am gonna be gone from
                    Dec 22-Jan 8..
                    Boom boom!

--

Comment

LOL.. well my experience here in the US has been that without a car you do not get very far LOL. First thing tomorrow I will call them and see what is the rules and if I can get a learner permit without a SSN and even maybe a full driving license once I pass the practical test. Patrick
                      Got that right!! I can't even go to the grocery store without getting
                      in the car!!
                      Let us know what happens!!

--

Comment

You will be the first to know BTW , don't remember, have you already filed your AOS? Patrick
                        What? I though I was gonna be the first to know!!

--

Comment

Hi Bella,

I just heard from a friend of mine going through Fresno, that as of
                          October 10, 2004, Fresno is working on AOS applicants from August of
                          2004!!! That's so FAST!!! Lucky you!

Rene

--

Comment

Hi Bella, I just heard from a friend of mine going through Fresno, that as of October 10, 2004, Fresno is working on AOS applicants from August of 2004!!! That's so FAST!!! Lucky you! Rene
                            Darn that is fast, hey Rene shall we move there??

--

Comment

Hi Bella, I just heard from a friend of mine going through Fresno, that as of October 10, 2004, Fresno is working on AOS applicants from August of 2004!!! That's so FAST!!! Lucky you! Rene
                              Hi Rene,

My lawyer that does the paperwork for me, told me that I could have my
                              greencard (valid for 10 years) as early as feb 2005. Well...lets see
                              what happens, one of the officers may have a bad day and send me home, I
                              am going to believe it when I see it and when I have that letter
                              or....the card!

Belinda

--

Comment

Sorry...typo on this post of mine. I meant to say "as of November 10,
                                2004".

Rene

--

Comment

Working...
                                X