This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoting others

Okay, I'm not new, but I have kind of a rookie question.
    How the heck do you quote other people in those nifty boxes?

I've tried hitting the "quote" symbol on bottom right of the post I want to quote, and it looks like it's gonna quote the person's whole post. I only want to quote a sentence or two, so I go in and delete the stuff I don't want to quote, leaving the weird stuff at the beginning and end, but then when I post, it just comes up with [quote] at the beginning and end, but no cute funky blue box with the person's quote inside. The result is essentially like I copied and pasted, which is what I usually do.

I know I've complained in the past about the over-use of quoting other people, especially when the person writes a novel. But now I'm seeing the value in partially quoting someone, in case they go back in and edit their post later.

I did check the FAQa (not there) and did a search (but the stupid search function never gives me what I want).

Help?

Here's what happens when I hit the quote icon but don't cut stuff out. Lets see how it works.

[QUOTE=TSCompliance;1076391]Okay, I'm not new, but I have kind of a rookie question.
    How the heck do you quote other people in those nifty boxes?

I've tried hitting the "quote" symbol on bottom right of the post I want to quote, and it looks like it's gonna quote the person's whole post. I only want to quote a sentence or two, so I go in and delete the stuff I don't want to quote, leaving the weird stuff at the beginning and end, but then when I post, it just comes up with
    at the beginning and end, but no cute funky blue box with the person's quote inside. The result is essentially like I copied and pasted, which is what I usually do.

I know I've complained in the past about the over-use of quoting other people, especially when the person writes a novel. But now I'm seeing the value in partially quoting someone, in case they go back in and edit their post later.

I did check the FAQa (not there) and did a search (but the stupid search function never gives me what I want).

Help?

Comment

It always ends up looking weird like in that last post.
      I got part of a blue box, but part was funky looking.

Comment

Here goes again:

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
        It always ends up looking weird like in that last post.

Comment

Now I'll try the partial quote:

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post

Comment

So why did it work that time, but not the other times?

BTW, What it that "multi quote" thing and how does that work?

{Thanks for putting up with my experimentation to try to figure this out. Maybe this will help others in my boat.}
            Last edited by TSCompliance; 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X