Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The apparent obsession with quoting other posters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The apparent obsession with quoting other posters?

Here's a pet peave of mine. Why is it that when an OP posts a very long story & question, people insist on responding by first including a quote of the entire post in their own post?

We usually know who you are responding to. There's really very little need to quote someone's entire post (especially when it's long). If there are multiple people posting in a thread, and you want to make it clear who you are responding to, just use their screen name.

For instance, if you respond to my post, don't quote the whole darn thing and then add your response, just say "TSCompliance, you're right, ..." or "TSCompliance, I disagree because..."

Has anyone else noticed this? Is the quoting function overused in your opinion? Why do people do this?

Mea culpa.

BTW, it is "peeve," not "peave."

I do try to edit my responses to include only the relevant parts of the post. Sometimes that is not easy.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The only time I do it is when I believe that the original poster is going to materially change the post.

Else, I will quote pieces.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by TSCompliance View Post
        Is the quoting function overused in your opinion? Why do people do this?
        The quoting function is probably overused on this website. Personally, I have used the quoting function as a reference to make my response stands as a stand-alone document. The quoting function keeps new readers of the thread who have not read every post from getting the wrong conclusion and/or taking the response out of context. In the future, I will personally try to minimize my useage of the quoting function. Thank you for bringing your concern to the attention of all users.
        Last edited by DrumMajorChange; 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM.
        I am not an attorney. My personal opinions are not legal advice.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." --- Franklin Roosevelt

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. --- Martin Luther King Jr.

A trap was set once upon a time; however, the designer fell in himself!!

Comment

Hey Scott, spelling errors are another one of my "peaves". Got me there!

I don't think I ever noticed you doing the "quoting a whole long post thing". I think I've seen you just partially quote people, which makes more sense.

Comment

Working...
          X