X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW
    started a topic What is a "tag"?

What is a "tag"?

What is a tag and when is it supposed to be used? And maybe who is supposed to use it?

• fokkerlit
    replied
    i know this is old, but I was doing some research and found that there is a mod (software modification) for vbulletin that will automatically tag threads based on their title. This may or may not be useful, but it will also update your historical threads too. You can configure it as well, but I don't know to what extent.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    This is the info for tags under FAQ on this forum.

What are tags?

Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This compliments the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.

To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).

This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.

Who adds the tags?

Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.

How do I use tags?

Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'

This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.

Leave a comment:

• fokkerlit
    replied
    I'm a programmer/DBA, I read this site faithfully everyday, it's the least i can do to help.

Feel free to ask any questions, anytime.

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    You're it!

Leave a comment:

• ScottB
    replied
    Originally posted by joec
    I still don't know how to use the a lot of the already existing options.
    JoeC
    It is kinda like me and user manuals. I figure I know how to do it and, if there is something that isn't working, I will check to see what else I can do. I don't look for bells and whistles that I don't want or need.

Leave a comment:

• fokkerlit
    replied
    no problem, it was the least i can do.

Joe, if you have any more questions let me know.

Or anyone for that matter...

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Anything in particular, Joe? I haven't explored all the options myself but if you have a question about a particular one I'll tell you anything I know.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Thanks indeed. I hadn't had time to do any experimenting even though another forum I moderate also upgraded to include tags this past week.

Appreciate your help!

Leave a comment:

• fokkerlit
    replied
    Tags are keywords that you can assign to something, in this case a thread, that will allow you to easily find related threads on the forums.

On this thread there are two tags assigned, "answer" and "question". If you click on say "question" it will find all the other threads tagged with the word question.

This way you don't have to use the search feature to find other threads related to your topic and weed through ones that might not be related. As an example in the "Wage & Hour Laws" forum you could tag all threads related to employee breaks with "breaks", and easily find threads related to that word.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    There's a bunch of info under FAQ - (user profile features) re the new forum setup.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Haven't figured it out yet entirely. I'll let you know when I do.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    It's a way of identifying threads by topic, so you can find easily other threads about the same general question.

Leave a comment:

• silkwood
    replied
    ?

Originally posted by joec
    No this site, all the sudden at the end of every post there is a box that says tag. It was never there before.
    JoeC
    I never so it before today either.

Leave a comment:

• silkwood
    replied
    tag

Originally posted by DAW View Post
    What is a tag and when is it supposed to be used? And maybe who is supposed to use it?
    Tag is when you walk aroung in a circle and point to someone to tag.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X