This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random question about some posters

I see this all the time, I just saw it again today, and I really just have to ask about it....

Very often a poster will capitalize the first letter of every word in their post. Then several people come in and tell them not to do it.

My question is, where does this habit come from? Are there any languages or work settings in which it is normal to Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word?

I know that some people accidentally type in all caps because they had "caps lock" turned on because of using certain computer programs on the job. We always tell these folks that all caps equals shouting, and they either didn't know, or they explain that they had caps lock on. So with all caps, I get it, no problem.

But I never saw a situation in which it was appropriate to capitalize the first letter of each word. I'm really just curious, so figured I'd ask.
    Does anyone know where this comes from?

I tend to be a "grammar Nazi" and I totally admit to and own that. But in this case I'm just really perplexed and curious.

Please shed some light on this, or I'm inclined to just decide that these people are just extremely stupid

I have tended to work for some pretty large employers, and you tend to see all types. Even in a rigid corporate environment where the nail that stands out tends to get pounded back into place, you see a lot of "random" behavior that does not make a lot of sense. How many times have we all seen someone who publically trashes their boss and then are apparently surprised when they are fired? The internet is somewhat liberating because everyone uses fake names and there is (normally) no downside to acting out. I do not see the point to agressive use of strange grammer and punctuation and profanity but I always assumed that it had a certain "acting out" element to it. There also seems to be a smaller group of people who seem to be looking for someone to fight with under the guise of asking a question.

I am pretty much a "who cares" kind of guy. If someone wants to use "ransom note" fonts or write long polemic tracts that do not use vowels or puncuation, fine by me, since I have no intention of reading it anyhow. The same thing with posters who want to howl at the moon. Cheap form of therapy, I guess. And better they do that then go shoot up school yards.

I answer only the questions where I think my answer will actually mean something and ignore the rest. IMO, no one has to respond to all (or most questions). Just answer the ones where you can make a difference. If you give one good answer a day, then you are doing just fine. We do what we can. And no good comes from telling a loon that they are a loon.
    Last edited by DAW; 04-10-2008, 06:43 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Hey DAW, thanks for responding.

Wow, I thought you were female! Funny how we all get mental images of members...

Anyway, I really don't think the capitalizing thing is an attempt to act out; I've considered it. If it were, it's a really bizarre way of doing so when cursing and other behavior is so much more effective!

One of my mantras is "don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain" (I got it in a fortune cookie once). So I'm inclined to believe it's either stupidity or a strange cultural thing I've never heard of. I just wanted to check out the culture idea before I deem these folks complete idiots.

Hmm, I disagree with this, to some extent:
      "no good comes from telling a loon that they are a loon"

In my field (mental health) we call it "reality orientation" and sometimes it's effective for people with a loose grasp on reality.

And sometimes it is just effective in just making those of us "non-loons" let off some steam!

I really wasn't feeling like I was compelled to answer these folks, or anyone really. I read many, many more posts than I ever respond to. This was more of an observation (like those two old guys in the Muppets that sit in the balcony and make fun of everyone!)

Comment

I like pointing out the loony. It makes me feel better about my tin foil hat.

I am, by the way, intentionally blunt with these folks. This is in the hopes that they will see how nuts they are sounding about some aspect of their case or presumed case and stop before they trot out their theories to the "straights".

I try to be the wake up call. I will agree that it almost never works. However, I am hoping that the next fruit loop will read it and say, "Um, yeah... maybe it isn't my employer's fault that my wife left me."

And yes, we have had that question.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
          I am, by the way, intentionally blunt with these folks.
          Who knew?
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
            Who knew?
            Hey, I didn't want you folks to think I cross the street just so that I can kick old people.

I just don't suffer fools very well.

Especially those that play the "what if THIS" game.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
              Hey, I didn't want you folks to think I cross the street just so that I can kick old people.

I just don't suffer fools very well.

Especially those that play the "what if THIS" game.
              And anyone who doubts you just has to read the next thread...

Comment

wHat iS tHe mAtter wIth yOu pEople?
                “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by JulieBean View Post
                  And anyone who doubts you just has to read the next thread...
                  Hey, at least I can never be accused of being ambiguous (sic)!

Comment

Working...
                  X