This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gripe about posting

It's Friday, and I just wanted to post this to vent. Respond if you like, if you feel the same way or if you disagree.

I HATE when people post a huge story with all sorts of irrelevant details, especially when they neglect to separate their dissertation into paragraphs.

Do they really think people want to wade through all of that to answer their questions?

Did they ever make it through sixth grade English class? You know, when you learn to construct a paragraph, how to lead with your main idea then follow-up with supporting details, etc.

I'm not looking for Shakespeare, but come one, string together a few coherent lines already!

I've vented before about poor grammar and incorrect word usage, and I know there are those who say that since the forum is informal, those things are okay or at least not a big deal. So I've learned to ignore the things that peeve me and just deal with it.

But I don't understand when people complain that people won't answer their posts, or they complain that we misunderstood them, when their "facts" are buried under hundreds of unrelated details in a huge monolithic paragraph without a hint of white space.

Anyway, I feel better now.

Well, now you may go forth and enjoy your weekend.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I ususally try to at least get a gist of what is being asked. If I feel the person is just lost as to what to post, I ask them to break it up, cut it down, etc. (there have been a few times when I have felt the person truly needed help that I have just quoted the post and edited it for them). For some others (like the one I am sure you are referencing ) I just ignore.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Well, don't look to me to disagree. I was rude the other day with a "Manager of Receptionist" because her spelling and grammar did not live up to what I would expect out of any manager.

I know of one post (you posted there) that had three paragraphs. One short, one not too bad and one that had to be at least 750 words. It contained lots of irrelevant details.

You cannot force the posters here to be succinct. You can only try to get them to give the relevant details and respond to those.

Contrast that overly long post with "Should I be getting overtime if I work more than 80 hours in my two week pay period?" That question raises lots of others about the work week, the industry and more.

T'aint easy offering free advice.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Also, there is nothing that says that you have to read all of the posts or respond to all of the posts. If you only answer one post a day, but it is a good answer, then you have done your duty for the day.

I sort of assumed that by responding to people with very long posts or creative use of fonts and grammer or those who want to howl at the moon, that you are just encouraging the practice. I figure that I have only a certain amount time each day that I am willing to spend answering questions and that I will spend that time where it might actually do some good. I have no problem with these 1,500 word posts or the ranters because I never read more then the first few lines anyhow. I figure that everytime someone tells about how his/her 3rd grade teacher was mean to them, that this is just a cheap alternative to therapy and not someone looking for an actual answer.

Don't get mad, just try to find a post where you can actually help someone. People who actually want to get an answer will eventually figure out that the rules of the forum apply to them too. And people who just went to vent will keep doing that also, but they do not need (or want) anyone's help.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I deal with the verbal equivalent of the loooooong post every day at work. One of my roles is to interview potential clients who call the firm where I work and and do the initial evaluation of their claims.

I can ask a question like,"When was your employment terminated?" and if I let it happen, get a fifteen minute response that usually begins something like, "Well five years ago when blah blah blah and then she said yada yada so I said drone drone drone," when the answer is actually, "last Thursday."

I've gotten very good at cutting people off without offending them and making them answer with yes or no. Too bad there isn't an editor available when people are constructing their posts.

Comment

speaking for myself

Hi... well i have come to this site fr advice I'm having alot of problems right now and need help.

One post I had replied to me was rude and I didn't appreciate it when I was being polite and needing all of you senior members, members, or super operators.

I have done what annoys you guys without realizing it makes it harder for you and I'm sorry.

But please be more respectful to members who are showing respect even though it is hard for them to understand the first time.

I'm not saying all of you do it just some.

Comment

thanks

thanks for understanding JoeC. But also thank all of you who help on this site I appreciate you.

Comment

Originally posted by SILENTDEATHSLOVER View Post
                Hi... well i have come to this site fr advice I'm having alot of problems right now and need help.

One post I had replied to me was rude and I didn't appreciate it when I was being polite and needing all of you senior members, members, or super operators.

I have done what annoys you guys without realizing it makes it harder for you and I'm sorry.

But please be more respectful to members who are showing respect even though it is hard for them to understand the first time.

I'm not saying all of you do it just some.
                I have read all of your posts and all of the replies. NOBODY was rude to you.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                (unique up on him)
                How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                (same way)

Comment

Working...
                X