This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Deer Warnings Pennsylvania

This is really off topic and not really a legal issue. Actually, no its not a legal issue at all. But there are a lot of intelligent people and views on here than I know of anywhere else on the net. So I was hoping someone could help me out with a quick question. I also apologize for being Off Topic.

Early this evening I almost was involved in a serious Highway accident when I was driving down I-78 in Pa. I was going about 75mph and all of a sudden these two deer are out in front of me, however I didn't notice it until they were about 10 feet from my car, I was able to swerve however loosing complete control of my car. Luckily, no one was hurt. Well, except for the deer that got hit by the semi behind me.

I have seen those deer whistles in the stores and I was wondering if they were effective at all? I live in an area where deer roaming out to the street is very common and its my biggest fear of night driving. If anyone has any opinions on those things, or something that will help with the driving I'd appreciate it. I really do not want to hit a deer ever, nor wreck my car and possibly injure myself by hitting one.

Thanks, and I apologize again. You just cannot find a forum with so many mixed opinions and such intelligent people.

-Blake

I just moved to NW PA (about 30 miles NW of Pittsburgh) and I'm up even further north and east (up I-79 and east on I-80) relatively often. It hasn't happened to me yet, but nearly everyone I know in this area (and I know quite a few) has hit a deer at least once.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'm in Georgia but for whatever reasons, deer travel in pairs. You rarely see one alone. If one crosses the road, always watch for the 2nd one. Lots of people get caught by the 2nd.

Dont know about the whistles. I know several people have them but not sure if they are effective.
      I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have seen them all over the roads also. I was usually more cautious when driving on the back roads and other darker roads it was the first time I ever encountered one on the highway. The scary part of that is you really cannot hit the brakes because the traffic behind you wont have the time to stop either. I guess all you can really do is honk your horn insanely which doesn't do anything they just stare at you and swerve and pray you make it .

A woman in Luzerne County swerve one evening a few days ago to avoid a deer and ended up in a ditch it took 2 hours till emergency teams found her and got her out.

Comment

I'm in southeastern PA. Hit a deer back in '93 (well actually it hit me).

Super traumatic...deer lying there still alive...troopers shot it, said it fed folks at homeless shelters...over 3000 in damages in 1993 dollars...nightmares for weeks....

I bought the whistles right after and had them, and the car until, 2002, and never hit another deer. Coincidence? Whistle Effectiveness? Who knows? But worth the $40 or something I spent.

Though, to me the most effective thing has been the ability to see their eyes reflecting at night. Every time I see two reflective spots, I slow down, and wow, several deer cross the road, then I go..

Comment

I realize that this topic is getting rather long in the tooth---but I recognize the posters as being those often on the forum. And, as I have been a hunter for a “few years”: The most active time for big game is from one hour before dark until one hour after first light. Of these times, the most dangerous time for drivers is right at first or last light; big game will put the “move on” during these times. In the South, where dogs are allowed to run deer, the most dangerous times would be anytime that hunters would be in the woods. Too say, especially weekends. Any wooded area near the road and is bordered by open mesa in the western states and spruce “thickets” approaching the road in the eastern states are exceptions to the “time” to watch---these one needs to watch at any time of the day or night.

Moose, because of their height above the roadway are the most dangerous; they tend to crash through the windshield. Elk, if hit during their “bound” will do the same; and the same is possible with mule deer. Of the big game, to the best of my knowledge, only a bear`s eyes do not reflect light (they are nearly as “blind” as us humans at night). Whitetail deer, by the way, will as easily run into you, as you into them.

And do NOT drive from Springerville to Alpine, Arizona at night. Unless you wish to commit suicide.

Comment

Working...
            X