absent father Virginia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• absent father Virginia

I'm 15 and I live with my mother in VA. My father is in jail in Texas. I've wrote him but haven't talked to him in over a year. I talk to my grandpaents, my uncles, my aunts, and my cousins on his side. He owes over $10,000+ (I'm not sure) in child support. My mom has got remarried but is getting a devorice. I want to know how to get his rights taken away if something should happen to my mom. And how can I change my last name to my mother's birth last name. Help please.

Originally posted by kennybear413 View Post
    I'm 15 and I live with my mother in VA. My father is in jail in Texas. I've wrote him but haven't talked to him in over a year. I talk to my grandpaents, my uncles, my aunts, and my cousins on his side. He owes over $10,000+ (I'm not sure) in child support. My mom has got remarried but is getting a devorice. I want to know how to get his rights taken away if something should happen to my mom. And how can I change my last name to my mother's birth last name. Help please.

This is frankly not your legal matter. You have no standing to do anything, legally speaking.

If your Mom wishes to, she can petition the court to have your name changed and perhaps assign standby guardianship in case anything happens to her. The court may or may not honor this request depending on the circumstances.

But until and unless a court terminates his rights, this guy is and will remain your father.

Comment

Well me and my mom have talked about this bu i want to know if we have get a lawyer or is this something we can do on our own.

Comment

When will he be released from jail and what was his charge?
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by kennybear413 View Post
          Well me and my mom have talked about this bu i want to know if we have get a lawyer or is this something we can do on our own.

I'd strongly recommend an attorney.

Comment

Working...
          X