Tricked out of Child Custody

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricked out of Child Custody

I have a son 1.5 year that I just found out about . I was told I was the third or fourth person that had been asked to take a DNA...I love my son and am providing child support. The mother asked me to go to court for custody. At the time I did not have a stable or suitable home. Living in a dump of a house in a bad neighborhood, making little money in lawn care. The mother was living in a nice house in Portsmouth with her aunt and uncle... said she wanted full custody and I could have him on the week end. I was so shocked about having a son by this person (one night stand Halloween party) I agreed. I truly loved this little boy the first I saw him. I thought I was doing the right thing and went along with her attorney . They seemed so nice and I wanted to do what was best for my son. The moment and I do mean the exact moment we came out of court and she had full custody... The mother turned to me and announced I would never have anything to do with "her " child... Latter she announce to me she was a lesbian and her girl friend would be considered the father of my child....She post on face book pictures of my son with this person and the words Daddy. I don't see him...And have become very upset about the situation. I don't know what I can do and do not have money to hire a lawyer... I feel tricked by this person... I feel she got pregnant on purpose to have a child for her and her female lover...I know I am responsible, I am trying to beef up my business to make enough money to move to a nicer house that would pass inspection by the state child people...She has been reported to child protective services on two separate times by her family and the hospital when he taken in for medical problems. She won’t let my mom or grandmother see him either... What can I do?
    Last edited by btracey7; 05-11-2010, 05:51 AM. Reason: remove a name

You need an attorney. Dont say you cant afford one because if you want to be in that child's life, you need someone to represent your interests..NOW.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What do I do? I truly don't know where to start?
      Originally posted by btracey7 View Post
      I have a son 1.5 year that I just found out about . I was told I was the third or fourth person that had been asked to take a DNA...I love my son and am providing child support. The mother asked me to go to court for custody. At the time I did not have a stable or suitable home. Living in a dump of a house in a bad neighborhood, making little money in lawn care. The mother was living in a nice house in Portsmouth with her aunt and uncle... said she wanted full custody and I could have him on the week end. I was so shocked about having a son by this person (one night stand Halloween party) I agreed. I truly loved this little boy the first I saw him. I thought I was doing the right thing and went along with her attorney . They seemed so nice and I wanted to do what was best for my son. The moment and I do mean the exact moment we came out of court and she had full custody... The mother turned to me and announced I would never have anything to do with "her " child... Latter she announce to me she was a lesbian and her girl friend would be considered the father of my child....She post on face book pictures of my son with this person and the words Daddy. I don't see him...And have become very upset about the situation. I don't know what I can do and do not have money to hire a lawyer... I feel tricked by this person... I feel she got pregnant on purpose to have a child for her and her female lover...I know I am responsible, I am trying to beef up my business to make enough money to move to a nicer house that would pass inspection by the state child people...She has been reported to child protective services on two separate times by her family and the hospital when he taken in for medical problems. She won’t let my mom or grandmother see him either... What can I do?

Comment

I'm in Virginia....Who are the Good lawyers for this kind of case...What do I do? I truly don't know where to start?
        Originally posted by btracey7 View Post

Comment

This forum does not provide attorney referrals.

You start by picking up the phone and dialing. If you need referrals, you can contact the state bar association, local legal aid, or any law schools in your area. But the only way to find a lawyer is to start calling, and keep calling till you find one. No one is going to volunteer to take the case, or to do the work of finding an attorney for you.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Start here http://www.nolo.com/products/child-custody/ and educate yourself as much as possible, THEN go to the lawyer - you'll have fewer questions and keep the costs down. You can purchase books and download them and start immediately. It will even help you file on your own, if you truly can't afford a lawyer. But for that to work, you'll need to learn how to talk like a lawyer, stick to the facts relevant to the case (keep emotions, attacks on mom, etc. out of it).

Not many family law cases are open to the public, but if you can find some, go watch how the court operates a few times. A court clerk might be able to help you identify which cases will be open to the public. They won't be involving kids, but some divorces might be open.

Also check out legal aid in your area, you might be able to find free or low cost help. And finally, I'm loathe to suggest this, but check out some Dad's rights groups - DON'T get caught up in the sexism, anger and self-righteous obnoxious victim pathology, that won't help you AT ALL in court, but it might hook you up to some resources.

And if you can't afford an attorney, start thinking of ways to increase your income, so that you can improve your environment should you eventually need to go for full custody, as well as being able to afford the attorney. At the minimum the court should give you visitation, I don't see how they can deny that unless mom can prove you're unfit.

One more thing, keep a log of all contact with the mom, with dates, and what she says to you. Virginia appears to be (double check yourself on this) a 'one party state' meaning you can record phone calls with other's within the same state. If she's giving you a bunch of crap, you might want to do that as well, but that's something you need to check with a laweyer first, or do enough research on your own to make sure you aren't violating the law.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Start with those books, it will make help you a lot.
            I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Working...
            X