This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single mother wants son to have contact with siblings Virginia

I am a single mother of a little boy who has 2 younger sisters by his dad and his new wife. She however doesn't want her children to have any contact with their brother. The problem is we are here in VA and they are all the way in CA getting ready to move to NJ does my son have any rights when it comes to having contact with them if so what do I need to do?

Originally posted by jesika31 View Post
    I am a single mother of a little boy who has 2 younger sisters by his dad and his new wife. She however doesn't want her children to have any contact with their brother. The problem is we are here in VA and they are all the way in CA getting ready to move to NJ does my son have any rights when it comes to having contact with them if so what do I need to do?
    This is up to Dad. If he wants his children to all have a relationship, then he can make that happen.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

there's absoluety nothing i can do?

Comment

There's no law you can invoke to force the issue, no.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

No, your son does not have a legal right to have contact or a relationship with his siblings. You also do not have any legal right to force the parents of another child to allow that child to have a relationship with your child.

Basically, you are asking if you can force another woman to let her children be around your child. Put yourself in her shoes, and what would YOU want. You likely wouldn't want someone trying to tell you how to raise your kids.

What does Dad have to say about the issue?

Comment

Yes that is the difference between my and the rest of the sorry excuses for moms and dads out there in the world that have babies by different people. I would want my son to be afforded the knowledge of his other family. You people are making it seem like I am the bad one. I am not I just think that it's unfair to my son morally and somehow legally wrong. Wrong would be year down the road and they start having a relationship now then it's legally wrong who would be to blame then the kids... Right? I never said anything about raising anybody's children. Just that they know each other. So If you guys are going to bash ME for trying to do the best for my son please don't even bother.

Comment

I don't think anyone here is making you out to be the bad guy. They're stating that fact that no, you can't force his other family to want to have contact with your son. It's unfortunate that his sibling's mother doesn't want your son to know his sisters, but that's her right. The situation can't be a forced and the law can't make her change her mind.
              And no one said anything about you raising the other woman's children. They were just saying...how would you feel if someone was forcing you to make your son know his sisters?
              You and your son just happen to be in an unfortunate situation. Hopefully, it will work out for you and your son.
              Last edited by SKI16; 07-23-2009, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Yes that is the difference between my and the rest of the sorry excuses for moms and dads out there in the world that have babies by different people. I would want my son to be afforded the knowledge of his other family. You people are making it seem like I am the bad one. I am not I just think that it's unfair to my son morally and somehow legally wrong. Wrong would be year down the road and they start having a relationship now then it's legally wrong who would be to blame then the kids... Right? I never said anything about raising anybody's children. Just that they know each other. So If you guys are going to bash ME for trying to do the best for my son please don't even bother.

Why don't you go ahead and simmer down there, huh?

Sure, you would WANT your son to have contact with his siblings. But that wasn't the question. The question was, how would you feel about it if someone DEMANDED it, or if it was court ordered without your consent? Or if someone named you in a lawsuit as the respondent becuase they want your kids to do something that you object to?

No one made you out to ne the bad one, just asked you to put the shoe on the other foot. You are a mother. You know what it is like to be fiercely protective of your children. For whatever reason, good or bad, right or wrong, this mother feels it is not in her childrens' best interest to know your child. Trying to engage in legal action that would tell this woman that her children MUST do something that she does not want them to do is, in fact, telling her how to raise her children, at least in that aspect.

No one is bashing you for trying to do what's best for your son. No one bashed you period. You trying to do what's best for your son doesn't trump her ability to decide what's best for HER children. YOU don't get to choose who HER children associate with, even if it is their own half-sibling.

Unfair to your son? Sure. Immoral? I don't know that I would go that far, but it does strike me as not right in some way. Illegal? Absolutely not.

Why not just talk to Dad about it? Does he have anything to say about the issue?

Frankly, if that is the kind of response you give to a bunch of strangers who gave you sound LEGAL advice, then I can see why this mom may have issues with you.

Comment

I've been doing it this long so it really doesn't bother me. Yes someone did say about raising just look at mommyofboys post. I found away around all of it anyway. My son's dads mother and I are really close and she already put in the paperwork for grandparents rights. There is always a way you just have to find it and it may not always be easy but it's there. Thank you for you help in any case.

Comment

I've been doing it this long so it really doesn't bother me. Yes someone did say about raising just look at mommyofboys post. I found away around all of it anyway. My son's dads mother and I are really close and she already put in the paperwork for grandparents rights. There is always a way you just have to find it and it may not always be easy but it's there. Thank you for you help in any case.
                    Yes, I sure did.

Telling another woman that she HAS to allow her children to have contact with your child, even though she OBJECTS to it (and apparently, Dad is on board with that), is, in fact, TELLING her how to raise her children. You are saying to her, hey lady, I know you don't want this for your children, but I want it for mine, so tough, I win, you lose.

So let me get this straight.

You are going to allow your kids to see their paternal grandmother, in an effort to do an end run around the wishes of the mother and father, the LEGAL GUARDIANS of other children, to disregard their wishes for how to raise their children, all so you can get your own way.

Wow. Just wow.

You have a LOT of nerve calling someone else out for their moral behavior when you would so casually disregard the wishes of another mother simply to satisfy yourself.

Yes, I suppose there is "always a way" to break the law.

Good luck. And don't be suprised when you and Grandma are the recipients of a restraining order.
                    Last edited by MomofBoys; 07-23-2009, 06:38 AM.

Comment

You advise is not sound you had the balls to attack a mother about her child. Who wouldn't get mad and simmer down you sound like the one that needs to like you are taking it personal as if you are the one I'm talking about. So get off your high hourse. Like I said I am different from the rest of these people out here who have 4 kids by 4 differnt bab daddy's and in turn those 4 different daddy's have more kids. It's an ugly cycle that does not include me. I was just asking if there was anything I could do for him that years down the road nobody can say I didn't atleast try.

Comment

By the way, what makes you think that the childrens' Grandmother has any rights to see those children at all, either?

No court is going to give her visitation of her granddaughters so that she can allow them to see her grandson against the wishes of the childrens' parents, ESPECIALLY if those parents are married. Your exes mother currently has no standing to apply for "Grandparents rights" for her other grandchildren.

I certainly hope this mother takes legal action against you adn Grandma if you two actually attempt this sceme. She doens't want her kids to know yours. END.OF.STORY. While it seems cold of her to not allow your children to know eachother, your actions are equally as bad. Shame on you for so flippantly disregarding the wishes of another parent.

Comment

Obviously you need either go to law school or a refresher course because you don't know too much. I feel sorry for the peopla actually taking your advice. She has just as much right to see her grandchildren and if that happens while my son is there then what's the problem. Plus she can't take leagal action against me, I have a RO against her. If you haven't noticed I said MY son. I have never talked about me being in the picture. Like I said I could careless about them.

Comment

Let me help you out momofboys T.C.A. 36-6-306 google it beause you don't know jack about law. You are only giving advice because of your situation. I have read your previous posts from other people.

Comment

And from what law school did you get your law degree from?

The law you just invoked is a Tennessee law which means it is meaningless in Virginia.
                              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
                              X