Confused about child support in Vermont

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about child support in Vermont

My husband and his ex-wife have joint physical and legal custody (every other week) of my step-son. My husband began paying child support as soon as she moved out of the house. I am presently homeschooling him five days a week so he is here more than 50 percent of the year. I have a few questions regarding the support guidelines.

1. There is a place where my husband can include my three children in the worksheet. Does this mean only if they are not receiving support from their real father?

2. My husband has had an increase in wages since the divorce was finalized, but the ex-wife has gone from making $40k a year to $25k. Will the courts ask her why she is now underemployed? She has been fired from several jobs in the past 4 years. We also pay for his health insurance, as she is supposed to, but there have been lapses in coverage. We don't want him to be uninsured.

3. If we have him more than 50% of the time, we pay for the health insurance and she is underemployed, is it possible that the child support will decrease for her?

Thank you!

Can anyone answer the questions above? I cannot find anything intelligible online about the Vermont Statutes.

Thank you!

Comment

Your situation is very personal, thus not really something appropriate to be answered on this site. You need to consult a local professional, as the site does not exist as a substitute for you getting professional advice for detailed personal situations.

Comment

If you took the time to take a good look around you, you would notice that my post is keeping in line with EVERY OTHER post on this site. I have consulted an attorney, but was looking for additional advice/help with those questions. Perhaps you can explain to me what this forum is about if you can't post questions about your situation?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know how Vermont works. In general, I may have the answer to your 1st questin. My understanding is that if your 3 children are recieving support, then no, your husband cannot claim to be supporting them, too. You and your ex do.

This attempt at your second answer is purely gut feeling, so take it with a grain of salt. In regards to the mother's working situation, I would think that it is something that your husband would have to bring up in court with documentation to back his claims up. As to what the judge would do, I have no way of knowing that.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

same situation

Let me relay my situation and advice to you...my situation is almost the same as you...my step-daughter is with us 50% of the time ...week/week situation...
            We still have to pay 525.00 a month in CS to her mother.......due to the fact that our week/week agreement is not in writing ..original decree has us with every thursday and every other weekend...mom agreed to shared visitation but not decreased CS...........
            we went to a lawyer and he advised us to document that we have her 50% of the time but if we went to court that the judge would not grant us 50% and we would have to go back to the original decree............SOOOOOOOOO we continue to have my step-daugther 50% of the time and we continue to pay CS....I feel like we are paying mom for her to grant us 50/50 and if we went back to court and lost mom would yank the liberal visitation and go back to only seeing her everyother weekend.....this would be fine with me but not with my husband.........so just b/c you have your stepson 50% of the times doesn't mean that CS will or should go down, in the eyes of the laws In the eyes of common sense it should...but for everyone that has dealt with family law would probably agree ..common sense has no place in the law

Comment

Update

I just wanted to update you on this case. The court imputed the ex-wife's income and it turns out that my husband will only owe $20 more a month! Thank you all for you help!

Comment

Originally posted by JCTSMOM
                I just wanted to update you on this case. The court imputed the ex-wife's income and it turns out that my husband will only owe $20 more a month! Thank you all for you help!
                What happened with the tax question? Did you ever get a definitive answer? I am glad that the support issue worked the way it was supposed to.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

Sorry, I'm not sure what tax question you're referring to. I'm kinda' slow that way!

Comment

Originally posted by JCTSMOM
                    Sorry, I'm not sure what tax question you're referring to. I'm kinda' slow that way!
                    That's because I had a blonde moment and asked you about someone else's situation. Duh.
                    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                    (unique up on him)
                    (same way)

Comment

Working...
                    X