Utah Emancipation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Emancipation

Can a 17 year old try to go through the emancipation process in the state of Utah? What would be the steps to do this?

Originally posted by hi12345
    Can a 17 year old try to go through the emancipation process in the state of Utah? What would be the steps to do this?
    Utah didn’t have an emancipation statute, however, I believe (if I'm remembering correctly!) the Utah recently passed an emancipation bill and it has been signed into law by the governor. I think it's pretty much the same basic requirements as most states…the minor has to be 16, have a valid reason it would be in their best interest, must be capable of supporting themselves, etc.

Google Utah house bill 30 and see what you can find. I think it was house bill '30' but I could be wrong. At the moment I don't have time to look it up, but I'm sure you can do your own research now that you have a starting point I think the media’s been calling this the "lost boys" bill (something about some religious sect that's supposedly been kicking out the young boys, so one of the reasons for the bill was to allow these kids a way to be emancipated) so you might add that into your goggle search also.

Comment

Originally posted by pty
      Utah didn’t have an emancipation statute, however, I believe (if I'm remembering correctly!) the Utah recently passed an emancipation bill and it has been signed into law by the governor. I think it's pretty much the same basic requirements as most states…the minor has to be 16, have a valid reason it would be in their best interest, must be capable of supporting themselves, etc.

Google Utah house bill 30 and see what you can find. I think it was house bill '30' but I could be wrong. At the moment I don't have time to look it up, but I'm sure you can do your own research now that you have a starting point I think the media’s been calling this the "lost boys" bill (something about some religious sect that's supposedly been kicking out the young boys, so one of the reasons for the bill was to allow these kids a way to be emancipated) so you might add that into your goggle search also.
      You are correct in that it is Utah H.B. 30. I couldn't find if it had been signed into law, but the disclaimer at the end did state that it had a very low probability of being found to be unconstitutional. So, I would think there is a good chance it was signed.

OP, google Utah H.B. 30. It will come up and give you the info you need.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

thank you so much for the information. what would be the first step to begin the emancipation process?

Comment

Originally posted by hi12345
          thank you so much for the information. what would be the first step to begin the emancipation process?
          If you read through the info, it will tell you how the process can be begun. I think (but am not an atty, so can't say for sure) that in Utah, you can petition for yourself. The best advice is to find an atty that can at least point you in the right direction, if you can't afford for the atty to handle all of it for you. Many attys. have free or reduced rate consultations.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

link to HB30

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2006/bill...enr/hb0030.htm

Comment

Working...
            X