Marriage Question in Utah.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi12345
    started a topic Marriage Question in Utah.

Marriage Question in Utah.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for nearly 2 years. She is 17 and I will be turning 18 soon. Recently we got caught doing something we weren't supposed to and her parents tryed to force us to break up, we have been dating in secret for the past 2 months now. We have been planning to move out with eachother when she turns 18 but recently found out that in the state of Utah you have to be 18 and graduated from high school to become independent from your parents.

My questions are, is there anyway that when she turns 18, if we get married, she can legally leave home? Can we even legally get married when she turns 18? If we can, and we did, would her parents be able to do anything about it?

Thank you in advance.

• hi12345
    replied
    Originally posted by mommyof4
    JMHO:

If two people feel the need to date, marry, or whatever in secret, that is a HUGE sign that this is not a good situation. A marriage started in secrecy and lies does not provide a good foundation for the future of the relationship. If two people are strong enough to endure marriage, they should be strong enough to weather opposition to the marriage.

The thing is, it is not OUR decision to date in secret. It is being forced upon us and we were told, after 18 months of dating that we were to cut off every source of communication and never to even look at eachother, which is a laughable and abusive requirement to put on anybody. I want to keep the details of our situation to a minimum, as stated above, I'm not looking for personal advice, just advice on what the law says. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• hi12345
    replied
    Elklaw, I appreciate your concern, but I did not come to the forum for personal advice. I came for legal advice and if you could answer that it would help greatly. Even if we do make the decision to marry, it's still 9 months away. I dont want to be naive and stupid (as it seems many of the people seeking advice here are) I just want to know what is legal and what I COULD do. I'm not saying that we have already made the decision, but that we are pondering it, and want to know if it is even legally possible for us to do. I understand that anything could happen between now and then, that is why I am not making any guarantees on anything, I just want to know whats possible.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    JMHO:

If two people feel the need to date, marry, or whatever in secret, that is a HUGE sign that this is not a good situation. A marriage started in secrecy and lies does not provide a good foundation for the future of the relationship. If two people are strong enough to endure marriage, they should be strong enough to weather opposition to the marriage.

Leave a comment:

• elklaw
    replied
    I think you both need to slow down some here. Marriage is a big step, not to be entered into because of parental objections. I think they are thinking about Vegas because it is close and maybe the concern also is that the people locally would call the parents and maybe they want to do this in secret and private and no questions would be asked in Vegas if they present the proper identification and birth certificates.
    Last edited by elklaw; 03-27-2006, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    The only info I found (if someone knows more, please post) stated that you need to be 18 to marry in Utah without parental permission. Once a person is legally wed, they most certainly can live with their spouse. If it is legal for her to marry in Utah when she is 18, why would you need to go to Vegas to get married? I suppose you could, I couldn't find anything that stated otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• hi12345
    replied
    okay, thank you. now may i offer a scenario and see if it is legally possible?

would the two of us be able to leave utah after she has turned 18 and marry in nevada?

also, say that we were married but she was still living in her household at the time of our marriage. after we married, would she legally be able to move out, while still in high school?

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    according to Utah's marriage requirements, yes she can marry when she is 18. GENERALLY, when a person marries it is considered emancipation if he or she has moved out of parents home and is being supported in the marriage. There are exceptions to this, but would probably not apply in this case. The flip is that her parents will have absolutely no obligation to provide for her education or anything else she may need.

Now, may I offer you a personal word of advice? I believe you are in love with each other, but please remember that you are both very young to be contemplating marriage. Slow down and take your time. If you are meant to share your lives, you will. Sounds trite, I know, but the truth usually does.

Leave a comment:

• hi12345
    replied
    she has this year and the next.

Leave a comment:

• ladyflame
    replied

GED maybe? how much longer will she be in school?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X