Child support Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support Utah

My husband has 2 kids living with the ex in Utah. I know that in the state we live, PA, if you pay more than 50% of the support, you can claim the children as dependents. Does anyone know if that also applies to Utah? His ex does not work and the cs he pays constitutes 100% of her income.

Originally posted by KAW1962
    My husband has 2 kids living with the ex in Utah. I know that in the state we live, PA, if you pay more than 50% of the support, you can claim the children as dependents. Does anyone know if that also applies to Utah? His ex does not work and the cs he pays constitutes 100% of her income.
    Does the CS order have any stipulations as to who claims children on taxes? If it does, then whatever the order states is the way it is until the order is modified.

Since his ex doesn't work, she most likely doesn't file returns, so unless the order states otherwise, your husband should be able to claim them on his taxes. Check to see what the order says, he can go to court to have it modified if he needs to since she doesn't work.
    Xena

My brain must not be working, I just realized that you might be asking about filing STATE tax returns. The info I gave is for FEDERAL tax returns. If you are asking about a state return, I'm sorry I really don't know. Xena

Comment

Xena:

Thanks for your reply.

My question was in reference to federal tax returns.

My husband will see what it says on the order.

Comment

Originally posted by KAW1962
        Xena:

Thanks for your reply.

My question was in reference to federal tax returns.

My husband will see what it says on the order.
        For federal returns, unless your CO states otherwise, the CP generally has the right to claim them, even if she doesn't work. He would have to get mom to sign the proper IRS form allowing him to use the kids as a deduction. It's not fair, but with the millions of tax returns the IRS receives, they can't really look at each situation individually. The majority of the time the CP is the one that provides the majority of support for the kids. It's the "screw over a few for the sake of the majority" rule.

Comment

Working...
        X