17 year old allowed to move out, can they force her back? Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 year old allowed to move out, can they force her back? Utah

About a month ago my sister in law allowed my niece to move in with us, there was no stated "trial period" or anything, she had to stay in school of course and such, which she has, even gotten her credits for graduating early and completed all of their graduation requirements. Now my sister in law is prone to "fits" we will call them, gets very disagreeable etc, anyways, she's now telling her (as "punishment" for something we have yet to figure out) that she has to come back there right now or she's going to call the cops. I know Utah law is very clear about being unable to move out until you are 18 years old. She is currently 17, and I was curious seeing she was given permission and granted the ability to move out by her parents, can they by law force her to move back. I don't want to see her miserable, but also don't want to break any laws as well. As by reading this you may have noticed, time is somewhat of the essence. Thank everyone for their speedy replies.

By law they sure as heck can. Until she is 18 she lives where her parents say she lives, and there isn't any law anywhere that says they're not allowed to change their mind. If they said she could move out, and now they say she comes home, then she comes home.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree; until she is 18, she lives where her parents say. Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X