No announcement yet.

Dating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a father of an almost 18 year old daughter, I can relate. I've dropped this little note in a few of her boyfriends' facebook accounts over the years. It's obviously tounge in cheek but I think it gets the point across;

I am very dedicated to my work. I wear firefighter shirts every day, even when I'm not on duty. The fire department is my second home, and my second family. It often seems as if my life revolves around the fire department, but it means nothing compared to my little girl. I am normally a very friendly person, but if you hurt my little girl you will make me mad. I know my little girl is growing up, even if I don't like it. She seems to like you, so I'll tolerate you dating her, but here are a few things for you to think about while you're with her:

First of all, I go into burning buildings to save people that I've never even seen before, you can't imagine how protective I am of my little girl.

I once broke a man's sternum by accident while doing CPR to save his life. If that's how I help people what do you think I do when I'm pissed off?

I investigate arson fires. I know exactly what clues to look for to prove it was arson, so I also know how to make sure nobody can tell how a fire started... and I know where you live. Remember Backdraft?

I've worked more car accidents than you'll ever see, the sight of blood doesn't bother me one little bit.

It's normal for me to carry chainsaws, axes, and various other extremely sharp tools in my car..touch my little girl and me and you take a little ride.

When we burn down a house for training, nobody ever looks in the closets.

I use the jaws of life to tear doors off wrecked cars. They cut though solid metal like a hot knife through butter. So watch your paws or get the jaws.

Sirens and air horns can really muffle the sounds of someone screaming.

Most of my friends are cops, paramedics, or firefighters. WE ARE 911. If you make me mad who do you think you're going to call for help?

I have access to explosives.

I am well trained in emergency medicine. I know exactly which arteries are the easiest to sever and which ones bleed the most. (remember all the sharp tools?)

Even though my little girl insists that you are a "nice guy" and not like most other guys, I know better. I was once your age, I know EXACTLY what you're thinking. Because of that I already have plenty of reasons to not like you. It wouldn't take much at all to push me over the edge, and I just sharpened my axe.

So if you want to date my little girl you better keep these things in mind. Fireman are protective by nature, and there is nothing we are more protective of than our little girls. Whenever you're alone with her, you better remember that someday you may be alone with me!
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

GotSmart, my daughters are not allowed to date yet. However I have told them when they are their dates must wear their pants at appropriate levels. I also like a line from the movie Clueless when the father tells a date "I have a 45 and a shovel. No one will miss you".

My brother in law is a police officer. He likes men with low riding pants because he said it makes them easier to catch when they run

Comment

You guys are funny.

I will point out, as a former 17-can't-wait-for-18 hussy, that the police aren't actually going to hunt down and arrest Junior for taking a 18-year-old young woman on a date without Dad's approval, no matter how unhappy Dad is about it. Dad's only legal recourse at that point is to remove financial support and tell his little angel to find somewhere else to live. Recourse involving shotguns and pointy things is equally illegal and equally tempting regardless of which side of 18 the young lady is on.

Comment

Depending on who he knows, there are plenty of other "legal" resources available. Kidnapping charges is a distinct possibility.

Like I said, if the OP would man up, problems would be much less.

Would you have rather dated someone that has enough guts to speak to your father like a man?

Comment

Frankly, no. I always felt that my relationship with my dad was my own responsibility.

Comment

I did that to my children s grandfather, and we still have a great relationship. I divorced his daughter 8 years ago. Respect is what it is all about. A man should respect his girl enough to be honest with her family.

I have a daughter that is living with a weasel.

No guts, drivers license, diploma, motivation, job, or front teeth. He hides when ever her family comes around. She is 5 months pregnant, and working 2 jobs. Soon I will have to take care of his child, as she will understand that one sided love does not work.

Comment

Working...
              X