Dating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating

I Am Almost 20 And I Am Am Getting Ready To Try To Date My Girlfriend Who is Going To Be 18 In 8 Weeks And Her Dad Don't Like Me One Bit And Is Threating Me To Stop Seeing Her What Are The Laws On Dating Her Can Anyone Help Me.

As has been said many times before, there are no laws regarding DATING. Only who may have sexual contact.

However:

As long as she is under 18, what Dad says goes.

As long as she is living under Dad's roof, regardless of her age, what Dad says goes.

When she is 18, she can legally move out if she wishes and if she can support herself. If she does, then she no longer has to live by Dad's rules. As long as she is a minor (and she is a minor as long as she is 17 years, 364 days or younger) then if Dad says no, then it's no. Period. If she is over 18 but still expects Dad to support her, then it's his house, his rules.

When she is over 18 AND living on her own, then she can do what she wants.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

As a father of a teenager, let me give you some pointers.

1. BE A MAN. To be a man, you need to go to the door, and introduce yourself to the father. Ask to speak with him (politely) about his daughter. Use words such as "Sir, please, and thank you. Explain your interest in starting a relationship with his daughter, and be prepared to answer questions about such thinks as; Your goals in life, your plans in life, Your educational status, as well as your plans and current activities towards becoming a person that can provide a quality life for his daughter.

2. Dress like a man. Do not wear pants that hang down past your underwear or bits of metal on various places in your face. You are introducing yourself to the person who just might be involved in your life for 50 years. This person loves his daughter more than life itself, so if he needs to go to prison for killing you, it is a part of his family duty. In prison they treat that crime with great respect.

3. Stand up for yourself. Do not whine, snivel, or yell. A firm handshake and a steady gaze will earn you points. Be extremely respectful. You are being interviewed for a spot in that family.

4. For some reason, the father already dislikes you. By being a man, and facing your greatest fear, you will show him, and your potential life mate, that you are a person that can overcome adversity. You must have done some stupid things in your young life. Be ready to explain that it is behind you. it had better be, or his friends will let him know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickson121 View Post
        I Am Almost 20 And I Am Am Getting Ready To Try To Date My Girlfriend Who is Going To Be 18 In 8 Weeks And Her Dad Don't Like Me One Bit And Is Threating Me To Stop Seeing Her What Are The Laws On Dating Her Can Anyone Help Me.
        How exactly do you "get ready" to "try to date" your "girlfriend?"

Also, for what it is worth, I am with cbg on her response 110%!
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

ok as far of doing something stupid i have never been in trouble with the law never got in to drugs or anything like that and as far as saying sir and thank you that is the way i was raised so i already do that and i have met her dad face to face and and sense i meet him all he dose is judge me and i do't have tattoos or any kind of earrings and i on;y have the up most respect for his family so i dont know what his problem is

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
            How exactly do you "get ready" to "try to date" your "girlfriend?"

Also, for what it is worth, I am with cbg on her response 110%!

And I Mean That She Is My Girlfriend But I Cant Date Her Because Of Her Dad

Comment

ok as far of doing something stupid i have never been in trouble with the law never got in to drugs or anything like that and as far as saying sir and thank you that is the way i was raised so i already do that and i have met her dad face to face and and sense i meet him all he dose is judge me and i do't have tattoos or any kind of earrings and i on;y have the up most respect for his family so i dont know what his problem is
              These types of questions are very much a slippery slope in my opinion. The general post reads like this:

I'm over 18, she's not, parents hate me for no reason, how can I get away with dating her?

The answer is the same EVERYTIME! Wait until she turns 18 and is a consenting adult.
              Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Also, if you go on to his territory, and speak to him as a man, he will respect that, and be more inclined to act kindly to you.

It is a fathers job to terrify any young male away from his children.

If you must, wait 2 months before speaking with him. Show respect for the reasons I mentioned.

I will post the letter I gave my daughters to hand to any perspective boys.

Comment

As I have a preteen girl I would LOVE to see that letter!

Comment

Ten Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter
                    Rule One
                    My daughters are my reasons for living. I will make sure that they are ready for dating before I will allow them to go out on one. You may think that dating is a regular part of teenage life. You are an idiot. My girls do not date idiots. They will be going to college and obtaining a degree in their chosen field. They will not date until I say they can. The law is on my side.
                    Rule Two
                    I will meet your parents first. I will also run a criminal check on your entire family. I have ways of getting things done. Never, ever lie to me or her! The man she will marry will be a Godly man. He will also at least be the equal of her father in education.
                    Rule Three
                    I have no doubt that you are a popular fellow, with opportunities to date other girls. This is not fine with me or my daughter. Once you've gone out with my little girl you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry harder.
                    Rule Four
                    If you pull into my driveway and honk, you better be delivering a pizza because you're sure not picking anything up. EVER! You will be a perfect gentleman at all times. You will come to the door and ring ONCE. You will have a small bouquet of flowers for my daughter, and a large one for my wife.
                    Rule Five
                    As you stand in my hallway waiting for my daughter to appear, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time you should not be dating my daughter. She is doing her hair, putting on make-up, or whatever; a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like change the oil in my car. You will wait patiently and quietly for my daughter to make her appearance.
                    Rule Six
                    Current thinking is that in order for you and me to get to know each other, we should talk politics, sports, and other issues. Do not do this. Your ignorance and stupidity will only serve to anger me. The only information I require of you is when you will have my daughter home. To this end, you only need two words: "early" and "sir."

Rule Seven
                    Do not touch my daughter. You may glance at her adoringly, so long as you do not peer at anything below the neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off my daughter I will remove them. If you ever strike her, you will vanish. I'm sure you've been told that sex in today's world without a "barrier device" can kill you. Let me elaborate: I am the barrier, and I will kill you. Anything more than a goodnight kiss on the cheek is out.
                    Rule Eight
                    I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off of your hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are idiots. If you show up at my home with your pants falling down I will be forced to ensure that they do not come off during the course of your date with my daughter by taking my pneumatic nail gun and fastening the pants directly to your waist. You will be dressed properly for a date with my daughter.
                    Rule Nine
                    You will only take her to an approved place for your date. The following places are not appropriate places to take my daughter: places with beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool - places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight - places that are dark or poorly lit - places where there is dancing, holding hands, or excessive happiness - places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka zipped up to her throat. Hockey games are okay, old folks homes are better, my church is best. You may picnic at my gun club.
                    Rule Ten
                    Do not ever lie to me. I may appear to someone like you, to be a middle-aged, dim-witted has-been, but on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and the entire backwoods of Missouri. Do not trifle with me.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming over a sand dune in Afghanistan. When my PTSD starts kicking in, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean guns and knives as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into driveway, you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Note the camouflaged face in the window is mine. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, return to your car. Then leave.

Comment

Gee, GotSmart, are you sure you didn't leave anything out?
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I don't think so.

I got that from a Marine web site, and adjusted it for a speech for my communications degree. The guys were silent, the girls were giggling, and the teacher fell off of his chair laughing.

My daughters would bring it to school to show their friends that they had the most insane father. Even today, the guys that went to school with my daughters call me Sir. Come to think of it, I never had any trouble when I was a substitute teacher in the High School. HMMM.

Comment

And I Mean That She Is My Girlfriend But I Cant Date Her Because Of Her Dad
                          Then you just have to not date her until her dad says yes or until she is over 18 AND no longer living with Dad. The law is on Dad's side here, not yours.
                          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

cbg's info is correct. That's the way it is.
                            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

When it comes to my daughters, and the men they date, I try to make sure that it is a man, and not a boy. A man should teach his daughters to have high standards in the people they associate with. The last thing they need is to be around someone that is scared to stand up for them.

It is too bad that the current crop of boys is maturing late.

Comment

Working...
                              X