HELP!! Emancipation for Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Emancipation for Utah

I am 16 years old. I will be 18 in 1 year and 7 months.
    I live in UT and am Currently in the custody of my Mother. (My Father gave up legal rights).
    Now with that out of the way.
    I am looking to get Emancipated.
    I am going to be having a child and getting Married. I have heard from diff. people and web sites about my options and just wanted a straight answer.
    I have been told that if I have a child in UT that I can go to a judge and get a court to marry me without my Mothers concent if the child is already born.
    I have also been told that once I have a child I am emancipated.
    I really don't want to have to wait to have my child to get Emancipated. I would like to be able to move out as soon as possible.

I have worked for 3 years. I have held my current job for 4 months now and with it being summer I can work full time. I have transpertation and I have a 3.9 GPA
    I am planning on starting college classes this fall to get my associates by the time I am 18. I will also be getting my GED when I turn 17 or waiting until the end of my Junior year. That way I will be able to go to college full time and get grant money.

My Mother is a very fit parent and has done a good job rasing me.. there would be no way to prove her otherwise and I wouldn't plan on that being the reason I am Emancipated. I would like to be out on my own considering the Pregnancy circumstance. I can afford an apartment on my own if I needed but I would rather plan one sharing (cost of rent and utility's) one with my boyfriend.
    I also cannot move out on my own to prove that I can because my mother will now allow it.

The only thing I could see holding me back is that I ran away 2 years ago and got locked up in a girls program because they had to treat me for my Bi-Polar.. which is now under control with medication.
    I am not sure but if my Therapist would write up a statement saying he would recomend me being Emancipated would that help?

I know that Governor Huntsman just signed a 'lost boys' emancipation bill but I don't know how or if that would apply to me considering.

Thank you, your help and advice would be great.. you can also email me about it. I would love to hear other similar stories and what the out come was. [email protected]

P.S. my boyfriend also has a 3 year old Daughter (he is 18) and we want to get custody.. would that help in the process at all?
    Last edited by r_defined; 06-04-2006, 07:49 PM.

Originally posted by r_defined
    I live in UT and am Currently in the custody of my Mother. (My Father gave up legal rights).
    Unless your fatherís rights were terminated by a court, he still has rights.

I have been told that if I have a child in UT that I can go to a judge and get a court to marry me without my Mothers concent if the child is already born.
    Generally speaking, you can ask the court for anything you want, but that doesnít mean youíll get it. In my own state (which is not UT) if a minorís parents object to them marrying, then the chances of a court granting permission over the parents objections is very, very, very rare even in a case that involves pregnancy/childbirth. The courts do not like to override a parents rights and will not do so without a very compelling reason. The view of the court here, is that a pregnancy (or the birth of a child) alone does not automatically mean that marriage is in the best interest of the minor. Numerous years ago things were different because there used to be a stigma attached to being an unwed mother/child born out of wedlock, but today that's no longer true. Now, as I said, thatís how things are in own state, which isnít UT, but I would imagine that many (most?) states hold a similar view.

I have also been told that once I have a child I am emancipated.
    You were told wrong. Being pregnant/having a child does not emancipate a minor.

I really don't want to have to wait to have my child to get Emancipated. I would like to be able to move out as soon as possible.

I have worked for 3 years. I have held my current job for 4 months now and with it being summer I can work full time. I have transpertation and I have a 3.9 GPA
    I am planning on starting college classes this fall to get my associates by the time I am 18. I will also be getting my GED when I turn 17 or waiting until the end of my Junior year. That way I will be able to go to college full time and get grant money.

My Mother is a very fit parent and has done a good job rasing me.. there would be no way to prove her otherwise and I wouldn't plan on that being the reason I am Emancipated. I would like to be out on my own considering the Pregnancy circumstance. I can afford an apartment on my own if I needed but I would rather plan one sharing (cost of rent and utility's) one with my boyfriend.
    I also cannot move out on my own to prove that I can because my mother will now allow it.

The only thing I could see holding me back is that I ran away 2 years ago and got locked up in a girls program because they had to treat me for my Bi-Polar.. which is now under control with medication.
    I am not sure but if my Therapist would write up a statement saying he would recomend me being Emancipated would that help?

I know that Governor Huntsman just signed a 'lost boys' emancipation bill but I don't know how or if that would apply to me considering.
    Based on the information youíve provided you are not going to be granted emancipation, in large part because you lack a valid reason. Pregnancy is not a valid reason.

Based on your other posts, it doesn't sound like you're pregnant yet, youíre simply planning on becoming pregnant. WAIT! It sounds like you have a good education plan in place. See it through! Then get married and have kids. Donít be to so impatient to have all those adult responsibilities.

P.S. my boyfriend also has a 3 year old Daughter (he is 18) and we want to get custody.. would that help in the process at all?
    Will it help in what regard? You being emancipated/being allowed to marry or him obtaining custody? Basically, it wonít help with either.

Comment

you have to be at least 17 and be able to prove you can make it on your own and ya it is a long process but sometimes it's worth it

Comment

Given that this post is from almost three years ago, it is likely that her situation is resolved by now. Please look at the dates before you post.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X