Emancipation In Utah At 16--

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation In Utah At 16--

I need help with the information reguarding getting emancipated. I will be 16 in August and I want to move to Texas from Utah. I would be living in the same City as my mom but not the same house. If my sister were my roomate; I would still be supporting myself. She is 19, Would that be ok? My dad doesn't want me to be emancipated because he is a control-freak, but my mom is cool with it. Unfortunately he has custody of me and my younger brother thru default. Can you help answering my questions?

Originally posted by shynobi

I need help with the information reguarding getting emancipated. I will be 16 in August and I want to move to Texas from Utah. I would be living in the same City as my mom but not the same house. If my sister were my roomate; I would still be supporting myself. She is 19, Would that be ok? My dad doesn't want me to be emancipated because he is a control-freak, but my mom is cool with it. Unfortunately he has custody of me and my younger brother thru default. Can you help answering my questions?
    There is no statute for emancipation in Utah. Even if there were, you would not be emancipated so that you could move out of state at the age of 16. You must be able to show that you are fully supporting yourself, have the means to continue supporting yourself, and have the maturity and responsibility to conduct your affairs in the manner expected of adults. You must also show that remaining in your home is detrimental to you, and that you are better off being on your own. You haven't stated ONE thing that will support that. But, like I said, there is no statute in Utah for emancipation of a minor.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

No statue whatsoever?
      The problem is this he is emotionaly and psycologically abusive. He is a sociopath and doesn't really care about his kids. I have tried to draw legal attention to the situation but no one cares. I'm stressed out and I can't stand living there. I am responsible and go to an early college high school. Isn't there something about a 'lost boys' bill or something or does that only apply to certain people?

Comment

No statue whatsoever?
        The problem is this he is emotionaly and psycologically abusive. He is a sociopath and doesn't really care about his kids. I have tried to draw legal attention to the situation but no one cares. I'm stressed out and I can't stand living there. I am responsible and go to an early college high school. Isn't there something about a 'lost boys' bill or something or does that only apply to certain people?
        NO statute at this time for emancipation of a minor, in general. If you are dealing with abuse, you need to report it to CPS. You can also ask your mother to file to modify custody. You are old enough to express your wishes, and I think you would have a much better shot at going to live with your mom than you will at trying to live on your own. I'm sorry, but emancipation is NOT going to happen. On top of everything else, you are talking about becoming emancipated to go live in a different state, in the same city as your mother. The judge will wonder why you can't just go live with your mom. You don't give a good reason for that. And you still have not addressed the MAJOR issue of how you support yourself financially. You can't go into court with a "plan" to get a job. You must have steady, established employment at the time that you ask to be granted emancipation.

The lost boys bill is intended for homeless youth (usually that have escaped their polygamous communities or that have been kicked out) that have no recourse when it comes to securing education, medical treatment and housing. It is not for kids that want to get out of their family. You have a mother and a father. You are not living on your own, and you have not been abandoned. This bill does not apply to you.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        (unique up on him)
        (same way)

Comment

I understand that you are not meaning to attack me personally but as this is a very desperate and personal issue to me, I ask that you be a little more emotionally supportive.

I understand that I sound like one of the millions of teen who want to go and do their own thing but I'm not. I have always wanted to live with my mother since my parents divorce in 2000. They had an ongoing dispute over custody until three years ago. My dad has more connections than my mother and has a bigger income. He could afford to have an all out legal war but unfortunatly my mother can't. Its almost unreasonable for there to be any hint of refiling for custody. My sister and I have both attempted suicide, talked with every avaliable councelor, phycaiatrist, ect. availiable. Its mental and emotional so unfortunately all bruises are under the skin. No one will do anything because they still insist that this place is best for us.

My mother always kept us fed, with a roof over our head, we went to school, got all our shots, weren't wearing rags, had pets, had friends, had good grades, ect. She never did drugs or drank, she wasn't a *****. She has had three boyfriends in the course of five years which is hardly normal. Nothing illegal was done and yet she still lost custody. Justify that.

Comment

I understand that you are not meaning to attack me personally but as this is a very desperate and personal issue to me, I ask that you be a little more emotionally supportive.

I understand that I sound like one of the millions of teen who want to go and do their own thing but I'm not. I have always wanted to live with my mother since my parents divorce in 2000. They had an ongoing dispute over custody until three years ago. My dad has more connections than my mother and has a bigger income. He could afford to have an all out legal war but unfortunatly my mother can't. Its almost unreasonable for there to be any hint of refiling for custody. My sister and I have both attempted suicide, talked with every avaliable councelor, phycaiatrist, ect. availiable. Its mental and emotional so unfortunately all bruises are under the skin. No one will do anything because they still insist that this place is best for us.

My mother always kept us fed, with a roof over our head, we went to school, got all our shots, weren't wearing rags, had pets, had friends, had good grades, ect. She never did drugs or drank, she wasn't a *****. She has had three boyfriends in the course of five years which is hardly normal. Nothing illegal was done and yet she still lost custody. Justify that.
            I did not attack you. I gave you the truth. If you are not emotionally stable (and if I go by your post, you are not) that is another thing against you getting what you want. Not to mention that the world is not emotionally supportive, so you need to toughen up a bit. I gave you exactly the truth. I had nothing to do with the custody hearing, I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened. Frankly, I don't need to know. I will say this one more time...IF you are in an abusive situation, contact CPS. Mental abuse and torture are recognized as legitimately as physical abuse. Otherwise, you will be able to move when you are 18.

Just because you recieve information that you do not want to hear does not mean that anyone (least of all me) is attacking you. But, I'm not going to lie to you just to support your emotional well being.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

If you're moving from TX to UT, TX allows emancipation (removal of the disabilities of minority) for a minor 16 years of age or older. You might be able to be emancipated in TX and then move to UT, though I'm not sure if it would transfer between states.

And, mommyof4, while I know that UT did not offer emancipation until a few years ago, if I remember correctly, a statute was added. It was designed specifically for a group of kids called the "lost boys" or something like that if I remember. So, you could theoretically also get emancipated in UT if that is the case (and I'm pretty sure it is).

But, you could not leave home in TX without your father's permission if he has custody. That's why I'm saying it might be better to try in TX first.

Comment

Originally posted by confused232
                If you're moving from TX to UT, TX allows emancipation (removal of the disabilities of minority) for a minor 16 years of age or older. You might be able to be emancipated in TX and then move to UT, though I'm not sure if it would transfer between states.

And, mommyof4, while I know that UT did not offer emancipation until a few years ago, if I remember correctly, a statute was added. It was designed specifically for a group of kids called the "lost boys" or something like that if I remember. So, you could theoretically also get emancipated in UT if that is the case (and I'm pretty sure it is).

But, you could not leave home in TX without your father's permission if he has custody. That's why I'm saying it might be better to try in TX first.
                First, he's not in TX, he's in UTAH wanting to move to TX. Second, the OP does NOT meet the criteria for the lost boys bill. If you read through my answer, you will see that I specifically addressed that. In order to become legally emancipated in Utah under this bill, you have to be living on your own BEFORE you petition for emancipation. It is designed for the boys (and 1 girl) that were on their own because they either ran away from their poygammous community or the community disowned them, had no where else to go, no way to get an education, could not get a place to live, and had no access to medical care. OP has a father (for good or bad) that he lives with and a mother that CAN petition for custody modification. Utah will not emancipate a minor to let that minor move across state lines to a city where the mother is already living.

I will say it for the last time. If there is abuse, report it. If you don't like the rules, wait until you are 18. Your mother CAN petition for a custody modification, but it is up to HER to do so.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                  The lost boys bill is intended for homeless youth (usually that have escaped their polygamous communities or that have been kicked out) that have no recourse when it comes to securing education, medical treatment and housing. It is not for kids that want to get out of their family. You have a mother and a father. You are not living on your own, and you have not been abandoned. This bill does not apply to you.
                  Here is the post that I addressed the lost boy bill.
                  HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                  (unique up on him)
                  (same way)

Comment

Dear_shynobi

Dear shynobi,

It may not seem real, but I sort of understand your position. I have been searching the web for emancipation in Utah. I am also 16, but my situation is a little different. I did not meet my "father" until I was five years old. For many years he has been very mentally and emotionally abusive to me. My mother and I have been to court many times to try to get this settled to either make him stop or get me away from him, but nothing has worked. I have been in counsling for 2 1/2 years. Only 1 with him. He just does not understand. I know that you have to have a stable job, a place to live, and showing of responsibility. But I am not sure what is requiredc to go out of state. It is true that there is no statue in Utah, but it is possible to get emancipated. One thing that would be needed to do is to send petition to the court. All of the time that I have finally stood up to him and tried to find a way away from him I have been told the same things that Momof4 told you, but I am tired of listening to that and realized that I must be strong on my own. Momof4 is why I posted a reply, I am probabally just as lost as you trying to get emancipated, but I don't think that you need to listen to the kind of things that she was saying. Not having a dad that cares, and having a great mother that doesn't have all the money in the world is a very emotional thing and I am going through it too. You need to keep searching, and find the people that will help you, don't listen to the ones that discourage. If you need anything, or just want to talk, or you find out more information contact me at [email protected] or just post another reply.

Sincerely

Malynda

Comment

Originally posted by DanceIsLife
                      Dear shynobi,

It may not seem real, but I sort of understand your position. I have been searching the web for emancipation in Utah. I am also 16, but my situation is a little different. I did not meet my "father" until I was five years old. For many years he has been very mentally and emotionally abusive to me. My mother and I have been to court many times to try to get this settled to either make him stop or get me away from him, but nothing has worked. I have been in counsling for 2 1/2 years. Only 1 with him. He just does not understand. I know that you have to have a stable job, a place to live, and showing of responsibility. But I am not sure what is requiredc to go out of state. It is true that there is no statue in Utah, but it is possible to get emancipated. One thing that would be needed to do is to send petition to the court. All of the time that I have finally stood up to him and tried to find a way away from him I have been told the same things that Momof4 told you, but I am tired of listening to that and realized that I must be strong on my own. Momof4 is why I posted a reply, I am probabally just as lost as you trying to get emancipated, but I don't think that you need to listen to the kind of things that she was saying. Not having a dad that cares, and having a great mother that doesn't have all the money in the world is a very emotional thing and I am going through it too. You need to keep searching, and find the people that will help you, don't listen to the ones that discourage. If you need anything, or just want to talk, or you find out more information contact me at [email protected] or just post another reply.

Sincerely

Malynda
                      Right, but as you do have a mother that is capable of providing for you, you are not eligible for emancipation in Utah, either. You don't have to believe me. Feel free to look up your state statutes, as I took the time to look them up for you. As you are 16, your mother can file pro se in court to try to modify the custody/visitation order and allow you to speak in your own behalf. At sixteen a court will take your wishes into consideration. Not to mention that it actually a viable option, as emancipation is not. You want to keep fighting? Fine, I support you 100%. Just know that you have to fight it legally. I don't make the laws for Utah, or any other state for that matter. I just look them up for people (like you) that need the information. If you want to be pissed, be pissed at the man that is abusing you.
                      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                      (unique up on him)
                      (same way)

Comment

Dear Momof4,

I have been to court three times now with my mother trying to modify visitation. We have reported the mental abuse. We have requested to have be able able to speak to the judge and he has said no. We have requested for me to testify in court, he again said no. Mental abuse is not considered as strong as physical abuse in Utah I have been told that by lawyers judges, and social services and the christmas box house. What other option do you suggest that I do? I have been going through this for years! I have dealt with it. He has made me have panic attacks, become depressed, want to hurt myself. He takes everything away from me, school everything. I am going to start college this summer and he just says oh. He doesn't support me in anything and all he does is punish for any little thing. God, If He leaves the cap off the toothpaste it gets blamed on me and I get punished it is things that are that rediculous. I can't handle staying with him any more. I have to go for a month this weekend and I have been in turmoil ever it for weeks. I don't know how I will make it through. Yes, my mother is wonderful. She is a great mother, but I have to do something to get away from him. We have even thought of having my step dad adopt me, but me fater would never go for it.
                        Reply please
                        Malynda

Comment

Working...
                        X