Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

21 dating a 17 year old in texas

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 21 dating a 17 year old in texas

    I started dating this girl that is 17 years old and well am a lil concern about her age. she has been wanting me to meet her parents, she says that they are very strict. would i get in some kind of trouble with the laws if they dont accept our relationship. i am just a lil scared about it. i just got a real good job and scared to lose it over that. (is it unlawful if we me and her have sex)

  • #2
    ***TEXAS LAW***

    There are no laws restricting age limits on dating. Therefore, you may, as a 21 year old, date your 17 year old girlfriend. Also, the "unwritten" law for the age of consent for deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact is 17, making your girlfriend "of age" and competence to make any such decision.

    You might encounter one problem - if your girlfriend's parents dissapprove of the relationship, there is nothing you and your girlfriend can do. Until she reaches the age of majority or is recognized as a capable adult through the termination of parental rights, her parents have the statutory right to physical possession of their child and the duty of control and reasonable discipline. Therefore, what they say goes.

    Let me know what happens...

    Comment


    • #3
      I do not know how close to age 18 she is, but there is no law against dating, and just to be sure, I suggest not having sex until she is age 18. It may not be criminal, but if she wants to introduce you to her family, I think you should respect her desire to not do anything without their approval and that you should try to wait and see where the relationship is going before going that far into the relationship. Also, if she lives with her parents, they do have a right to control her movements on dating issues.

      Comment


      • #4
        just a question

        what does texas state law say about a 19 year old going out with a person who is under 18 ?

        Comment


        • #5
          There are no laws that place age limits on dating.

          Let me know if you have any questions...

          Comment


          • #6
            what is the Tennessee law?

            Hi. I am 14 and will be 15 in November. I was wondering about the law for Tennessee. Is it the same as the law for Texas? I am dating a 23 year old and I was just wondering if it was against the law. We arent having sexual intercourse and we do really care about each other. If you can help, I would be much abliged! Thank you so much!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Celest
              Hi. I am 14 and will be 15 in November. I was wondering about the law for Tennessee. Is it the same as the law for Texas? I am dating a 23 year old and I was just wondering if it was against the law. We arent having sexual intercourse and we do really care about each other. If you can help, I would be much abliged! Thank you so much!
              Read this whole thread, pay attention to my posts in it- with you being 15 it is VERY important that you pay attention to my son's plight. And BTW- if anyone- your parents, teacher, friend, police, etc. were to claim that there has been sexual contact- even "petting" , they will be believed and your BF will end up like my son and hundreds of others.

              Click on this link for the thread I'm referring to http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=76432

              xena

              Comment


              • #8
                dating younger girl

                YOu need to check the penal code. I know if she were younger, they could file statutory rape charges, but with her so close to adult, I am just not sure. The Texas Penal Code is on line, and you can double check there.

                As for other states, same thing. Go check out the Penal Code for your states to see what the law is in your state. But generally, if you are a minor, and he is 3 or more years older, it is considered statutory rape, which is old lingo for sexual abuse of a child. I know below 14 is a bigger deal in Texas, but I've known more than one guy to get into serious trouble for having sex with 16 year old girls. Two of them are in the pen right now. Even when they get out, they will be registered sex offenders.

                Sharon

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know this thread is about 7 months old. But, I just wanted to clear something up. The age of consent in TX is 17. For this purpose, a minor DOES NOT include a 17-year-old. It includes a child UNDER 17 (16 or under).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by confused232
                    I know this thread is about 7 months old. But, I just wanted to clear something up. The age of consent in TX is 17. For this purpose, a minor DOES NOT include a 17-year-old. It includes a child UNDER 17 (16 or under).
                    In Texas, any person under 18 is a minor for ALL purposes. Being able to consent to having sex does not change their minor status. It only means that they can consent to having sex.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ceara
                      In Texas, any person under 18 is a minor for ALL purposes. Being able to consent to having sex does not change their minor status. It only means that they can consent to having sex.
                      Umm...no for the purposes of the Alcoholic Beverage Code a minor is a person under 21 actually. For the purposes of estates, a minor is a person under 21.

                      For the purposes of the criminal justice system, a minor is a person 10-16 years of age and an adult is a person 17 years of age or older.

                      While the age of majority is 18, certain individual statutes define a "minor" differently.

                      Basically what I was trying to clear up was that a 17 year old can consent to having sex.
                      Last edited by confused232; 06-18-2006, 08:36 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ACc083
                        Also, the "unwritten" law for the age of consent for deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact is 17, making your girlfriend "of age" and competence to make any such decision.
                        Also, this is wrong. It is not "unwritten." It is very clearly stated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by confused232
                          Umm...no for the purposes of the Alcoholic Beverage Code a minor is a person under 21 actually. For the purposes of estates, a minor is a person under 21.

                          For the purposes of the criminal justice system, a minor is a person 10-16 years of age and an adult is a person 17 years of age or older.

                          While the age of majority is 18, certain individual statutes define a "minor" differently.

                          Basically what I was trying to clear up was that a 17 year old can consent to having sex.
                          A person 21 and over are "of age" to legally consume alcohol. Persons between 18-20 are NOT "of age", but they are still a LEGAL adult.

                          A 17 year old MINOR is "of age" to consent to having sex.

                          There are many things that a MINOR (anyone under the age of majority for any given state) can be "of age" for the purpose of making decisions for themselves without parental consent. It does NOT change their status as a minor. Being charged "as an adult" for a crime does not automatically make the minor a legal adult.

                          When explaining certain things to a layperson that is not well versed in legal terminology, it is common to use phrases like "a minor would be considered an adult for the purpose of.....". However, phrases such as this are not actually LEGALLY correct.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ceara
                            A person 21 and over are "of age" to legally consume alcohol. Persons between 18-20 are NOT "of age", but they are still a LEGAL adult.
                            The alcoholic beverage code actually EXPLICITLY defines a minor as a person "under 21 years of age" and an adult as a person "21 years of age or older."

                            Originally posted by ceara
                            A 17 year old MINOR is "of age" to consent to having sex.
                            Indecency with a child EXPLICITLY defines a child to be a person "under 17 years of age."

                            Originally posted by ceara
                            When explaining certain things to a layperson that is not well versed in legal terminology, it is common to use phrases like "a minor would be considered an adult for the purpose of.....". However, phrases such as this are not actually LEGALLY correct.
                            The Juvenile Justice Code EXPLICITLY defines a minor as being "under 17 years of age" and an adult as being "17 years of age or older."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ACc083
                              There are no laws that place age limits on dating.

                              Let me know if you have any questions...
                              hey i know this from along time ago but lets say a guy(19) is going out with a girl(14),and there a friend of hers involved ( more or less wants the two to stop dating) and i was just wondering what i should do . i mean everything is going okay expect for the fact that the friend keeps butting in to the relationship and making threats to the guy , i mean the major kind . so i was just wondering if anyone had any advice for my friend on what he should do . he really does'nt want to break up with her but he kinda believes the friend may go though with threats and is worried to the piont were he can't get a ounce of sleep .i forgot to mention that there is NOTHING going on as sex or such .
                              Last edited by soulsteal56; 09-08-2006, 11:08 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X