17 yr old wants to move in with Father--NE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 yr old wants to move in with Father--NE

We have a little problem here in Nebraska. My boyfriends daughter lives in South Dakota but they were divorced in Nebraska. The ex has custody of the kids. His youngest is now 17 and wants to move in with him which is more than okay with me. She has been told by her mother that if she leaves, she will be labeled as a run away and she would have her father arrested for kidnapping. Can't she petition the courts that she wants to live with her father and not her mother? Need some answers as soon as someone is able to give me one. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

AGES of children

Originally posted by EarlFromNE
    We have a little problem here in Nebraska. My boyfriends daughter lives in South Dakota but they were divorced in Nebraska. The ex has custody of the kids. His youngest is now 17 and wants to move in with him which is more than okay with me. She has been told by her mother that if she leaves, she will be labeled as a run away and she would have her father arrested for kidnapping. Can't she petition the courts that she wants to live with her father and not her mother? Need some answers as soon as someone is able to give me one. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.
    Hey hi im tricia from texas i can tell you thatonce a child has turned 12 years of age they are able to go to court and say where they want to reside. so it sounds like she is just fulling your head with bull i hope i helped
    TRICIA CRAWFORD

Comment

She is old enough to petition the court on her own, though it is not normal. Courts usually start to take into account where the child wants to be at age 14. BUt in this case, the resistence I think is more about money than anything else. Some mothers are reluctant to let kids leave due to financial considerations. More ideal, however, would be for the father to petition the court to modify custody and let the child speak to the court, explain why the move is in the best interest of the child. This does not sound unreasonable. Also, it may help if you were a wife, and not just a girlfriend since courts tend to look more favorably on kids living in legal situations in terms of parents being remarried over kids living with parents cohabitaing in an unmarried state. But it may not make a big difference in an urban environment, but in smaller places it can.

Comment

Working...
      X