X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sara469
    started a topic step parent adoption

step parent adoption

i have two children ones 8 and i havent seen or heard from his dad for a year and a half and last time i got support was in july he lives in south dakota and i live in iowa he stopped communicating with my son when he was founded for child abuse i also have a daughter whos 3 and she has'nt seen her dad since she was 11 months old and no support for over 2 years he is also serving a 10 yr prison sentence well i plan on getting married and my fiancee would like to adopt my kids how long do we have to be married and does anyone know how much it would cost to get this done and also do my chances look good that their rights would be terminated please let me know thanks a bunch

• sara469
    replied
    step parent adoption

thank you just wanted to know i thought i sounded silly but you never know

Leave a comment:

• mom26
    replied
    It might be good to have such a list of items he has purchased for the child when procedding in an adoption but don't think it will really do any good,

Leave a comment:

• Suzy72
    replied
    Originally posted by sara469
    one of my friends told me one of her friends had her new husband adopt her children and she had to make a list of all the items the new father bought or paid for the kids is that true
    I have never heard of anything. Not sure if it would be even legal to do so.

Leave a comment:

• sara469
    replied
    step parent adoption

one of my friends told me one of her friends had her new husband adopt her children and she had to make a list of all the items the new father bought or paid for the kids is that true

Leave a comment:

• sara469
    replied
    step parent adoption

thank you very much that info was very helpful

Leave a comment:

• Suzy72
    replied
    First I want to point out that Michigan is the only state that has a Friend of the Court (FOC) and they work on current cases that are on the docket or have been ruled upon so this is not accurate in all states. Other states simply have the court clerk who cannot give any legal advice and in most cases cannot provide documents for others to sign such as this.

Here are some Iowa adoption statutes:

http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/general/l...rchresults.cfm

Here is the Iowa name change law in case you want it:

http://www.namechangelaw.com/states/ia/iowa.htm

Here is a site with Iowa TPR laws (however, I cannot state they are all correct as the one for Indiana is pretty accurate but a few things off):

http://library.adoption.com/terminat...le/8499/1.html

and another:

http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/programs/cb/...02/02adpt6.htm

Leave a comment:

• mom26
    replied
    I'm not sure maybe you could contact your local foc and ask them.

Leave a comment:

• sara469
    replied
    step parent adoption

i was wondering how do i find the guidelines for abandonment and step parent adoption in iowa thanks

Leave a comment:

• mom26
    replied
    If you have any other questions I would be glad to help to the best of my knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• mom26
    replied
    Yes you could go down to your local friend of the court and get a paper that both parent sign to stop child support and if you agree to forgive any past due child support if you were on any state assistance you will not be able to waive any of the state owed he must pay that, but you also can still recieve medicade. I live in michigan and I'm going through this sitituation right now my fiance's son is being adopted by his bio moms new husband and we just proceeded with these things.

Leave a comment:

• confusedinVA
    replied
    He would still owe all of the back child support, unless you forgave him of this debt. He would not however owe any future support. Also if you have ever been on state aid, cash assitance, they will go after bio dad to collect that as well.

Leave a comment:

• sara469
    replied
    step parent adoption

thank you but how do i find out the guide lines for the state of iowa and will they have to pay the back support or is it up to me all my kids get is medicaid thanks

Leave a comment:

• mom26
    replied
    You would have to check with your state guide lines but most states you have to be married 1 year. But usually you can start the adoption process at about 6 months of marriage. But you might want to see about getting a lawyer or something like that so everthing is done right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X