Happy Holidays and Ham

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Holidays and Ham

Ok, here is the ham saga, and I have to share for snerk value. I'm an adoptee,
    I simply can't help myself. LOL Oh, and happy holidays all!

It's long, but it's kind of entertaining. ;-)

First of all, I despise hot ham. That big chunk of pink pork, possibly coated
    in a mustard sauce, or some crunchy honey/sugar crust. Or studded with cloves.
    And fatty edges. I don't know exactly why, because I like ribs and bacon.
    Puke with Canadian Bacon. I don't like that either.

Anyway, 2 years ago, my hubby, kids and I traveled to Denver, to have Xmas
    dinner with my family. Except that it was the day AFTER Xmas, because of
    snow/dog concerns (our 14-year-old dog was ill, and we live in the mountains
    about 2 hours away).

I shared this story before to the regs at the time, but it's integral to the
    current ham situation, so bear with me. LOL

So my mom and her hubby had an original Xmas dinner with my brothers. We all
    got together the next day.

Let me enter that we offered to take EVERYBODY out to dinner, but mom insisted
    that we eat what she had cooked.

So, first off, she had made a HAM! gurk. No worries, there were plenty of
    other stuff I could have.

There were scalloped potatoes. With big chunks of HAM!

Oh, and there was green bean casserole. Supplemented with big chunks of PORK!!

She had some coleslaw and fruit salad (with whipped cream) she made on Xmas
    day. She was afraid that there wouldn't be enough for everybody the next day
    when we got together, so she decided to mix them together. And throw in nuts.
    ????!!!!!!!

I was sitting there, at dinner, struggling between laughing my *** off
    (thinking about reporting this horrible amom concoction) and being hungry
    because it was all really REALLY puky. LOL Oh, and wondering if this was some
    weird passive/aggressive thing on her part, because she knows I don't eat ham.

Stupid me, I made a comment to my younger brother a week or so later, which got
    passed on to Mom, and she got really offended.

So LAST Xmas, for her "big" present, she asked if hubby and I would cook Xmas
    dinner when we came. She had invited a father and son from her church group to
    join us, and asked if we could have dinner ready by 6pm.

We had a huge prime rib delivered in advance----we weren't going to be there
    until about 1 or 2pm (we're 2+ hours away), and she put in the oven at 7am to
    slow cook for the day.

We got there at 2:30, and they were all having this HUGE Xmas meal. Ham (GAK!)
    stuffing, potatoes, pies, the works. Hubby (who had spent like 75 bucks on the
    prime rib) was bent out of shape.

Anyway, dinner was on time, nothing was left, everybody enjoyed it and we were
    all happy. Whew

This year, we're going up there the day after Xmas. Mom is cooking a turkey.
    Hubby said if there is another ham fiasco, he's never going back.

Last night, there was a huge package at our front door, from my bmom. I mean
    HUGE!

It's from Smithfield's Hams in Virginia. It said "refrigerate immediately".

Hubby laughed his head off. Bmom had heard the "saga of the hams" and he was
    certain she used a box as a joke. I wasn't so sure. Hubby said, let's put it
    under the tree, and I said, no, we better open it, just to be careful. LOL

There was a ham in there, that I swear----it's bigger and pinker than one of
    Michael Moore's butt cheeks. It's larger and as long as my 14-year-old's
    thigh. That ****** is over 20 lbs.

Talked to bmom today to let her know it got here.

She said, I SENT you an email telling you that there would be a seperate
    package that was just for hubby!

For the last 2 years, for Xmas, she sent him some liberal books, which he kind
    of browsed in a puzzled manner, but never really read.

She decided that this year, after the election, knowing that she'll never
    convert him, to send him a gigantic hunk of PORK! LOL

-------------------------
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friend will
    be sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"
    -----Unknown

Happy Holidays and Ham

LOL! I love the ham story. This year my youngest has decided that she is
    going to prepare Christmas dinner. She has decided on roast stuffed chicken
    as she does not like ham. The chicken is cowering in the fridge and the rest
    of us wait in fear and trepidation. My daughter is a wiz at many things but
    she can burn water. It will be interesting but it won't be ham.

Raymond

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

"sylak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]
      LOL! I love the ham story. This year my youngest has decided that she is going to prepare Christmas dinner. She has decided on roast stuffed chicken as she does not like ham. The chicken is cowering in the fridge and the rest of us wait in fear and trepidation. My daughter is a wiz at many things but she can burn water. It will be interesting but it won't be ham. Raymond
      Heehee - I actually LOVE ham, but always associate it more with Easter than
      with Christmas. Roast chicken actually is pretty easy. Is it one of those
      oven-stuffer roasters with the pop-up thing? That definitely takes out a
      bit of the guesswork as to if it's done or not. A nice touch (and will make
      the kitchen smell wonderful) is to mix some herbs (poultry seasoning, thyme,
      fresh chopped garlic, etc.) with a little bit of olive oil to make a paste
      and then coat the chicken with that before roasting. Good luck!

We were going to attempt to cook a goose this year for Christmas dinner, but
      prime rib was on sale. Yum!
      --
      ---------
      Robyn
      Resident Witchypoo

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

Heehee - I actually LOVE ham, but always associate it more with Easter than with Christmas. Roast chicken actually is pretty easy. Is it one of those oven-stuffer roasters with the pop-up thing? That definitely takes out a bit of the guesswork as to if it's done or not. A nice touch (and will make the kitchen smell wonderful) is to mix some herbs (poultry seasoning, thyme, fresh chopped garlic, etc.) with a little bit of olive oil to make a paste and then coat the chicken with that before roasting. Good luck! We were going to attempt to cook a goose this year for Christmas dinner, but prime rib was on sale. Yum! --
        Actually, the chicken came out very well. It would seem that my youngest has
        been spending some of her time learning to cook. My favorite ham story
        involves a rather flaky friend of my spouse who was attending the wedding of
        a very nice muslim couple. She volunteered to bring the ham. Someone pointed
        out to her than Moslems don't eat pork. Her response was; "so, what if I get
        a kosher ham?" Goose is a lot of work for not much meat. Prime rib is good.
        Happy Holidays!!

Raymond

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

"sylak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          Heehee - I actually LOVE ham, but always associate it more with Easter than with Christmas. Roast chicken actually is pretty easy. Is it one of those oven-stuffer roasters with the pop-up thing? That definitely takes out a bit of the guesswork as to if it's done or not. A nice touch (and will make the kitchen smell wonderful) is to mix some herbs (poultry seasoning, thyme, fresh chopped garlic, etc.) with a little bit of olive oil to make a paste and then coat the chicken with that before roasting. Good luck! We were going to attempt to cook a goose this year for Christmas dinner, but prime rib was on sale. Yum! --
          Actually, the chicken came out very well. It would seem that my youngest has been spending some of her time learning to cook.
          Excellent. Glad not to hear a cooking disaster story

My favorite ham story
          involves a rather flaky friend of my spouse who was attending the wedding of a very nice muslim couple. She volunteered to bring the ham. Someone pointed out to her than Moslems don't eat pork. Her response was; "so, what if I get a kosher ham?"
          Oh NO! I sincerely hope she was diswayed from getting the ham!
          Goose is a lot of work for not much meat. Prime rib is good.
          Ohmigod, it was fantastic! Nice cracked peppercorn/herb/fresh garlic crust
          and cooked to perfection. My husband also made a wonderful red wine au jus
          sauce to go with it. It was, without a doubt, the BEST prime rib I've ever
          had. He's definitely the man.

Happy Holidays to you and yours
          --
          ---------
          Robyn
          Resident Witchypoo

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

> Oh NO! I sincerely hope she was diswayed from getting the ham!

Finally, yes.
            Ohmigod, it was fantastic! Nice cracked peppercorn/herb/fresh garlic crust and cooked to perfection. My husband also made a wonderful red wine au jus sauce to go with it. It was, without a doubt, the BEST prime rib I've ever had. He's definitely the man. Happy Holidays to you and yours

Yumm, and the best to y'all.

Raymond

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

Top Post : I like your bmom. LOL ! Merry Christmas to all!
              Windforest
              -----------------------------------------------------------

Happy Holidays and Ham

Group: alt.adoption Date: Sat, Dec 25, 2004, 5:36am (MST+7) From:
              [email protected] (LilMtnCbn)
              Ok, here is the ham saga, and I have to share for snerk value. I'm an
              adoptee, I simply can't help myself. LOL Oh, and happy holidays all!
              It's long, but it's kind of entertaining. ;-)
              First of all, I despise hot ham. That big chunk of pink pork, possibly
              coated in a mustard sauce, or some crunchy honey/sugar crust. Or studded
              with cloves.
              **And fatty edges. I don't know exactly why, because I like ribs and
              bacon. Puke with Canadian Bacon. I don't like that either.
              Anyway, 2 years ago, my hubby, kids and I traveled to Denver, to have
              Xmas dinner with my family. Except that it was the day AFTER Xmas,
              because of snow/dog concerns (our 14-year-old dog was ill, and we live
              in the mountains about 2 hours away).
              I shared this story before to the regs at the time, but it's integral to
              the current ham situation, so bear with me. LOL
              So my mom and her hubby had an original Xmas dinner with my brothers. We
              all got together the next day.
              Let me enter that we offered to take EVERYBODY out to dinner, but mom
              insisted that we eat what she had cooked.
              So, first off, she had made a HAM! gurk. No worries, there were plenty
              of other stuff I could have.
              There were scalloped potatoes. With big chunks of HAM!
              Oh, and there was green bean casserole. Supplemented with big chunks of
              PORK!!
              She had some coleslaw and fruit salad (with whipped cream) she made on
              Xmas day. She was afraid that there wouldn't be enough for everybody the
              next day when we got together, so she decided to mix them together. And
              throw in nuts.
              ????!!!!!!!
              I was sitting there, at dinner, struggling between laughing my *** off
              (thinking about reporting this horrible amom concoction) and being
              hungry because it was all really REALLY puky. LOL Oh, and wondering if
              this was some weird passive/aggressive thing on her part, because she
              knows I don't eat ham.
              Stupid me, I made a comment to my younger brother a week or so later,
              which got passed on to Mom, and she got really offended.
              So LAST Xmas, for her "big" present, she asked if hubby and I would cook
              Xmas dinner when we came. She had invited a father and son from her
              church group to join us, and asked if we could have dinner ready by 6pm.
              We had a huge prime rib delivered in advance----we weren't going to be
              there until about 1 or 2pm (we're 2+ hours away), and she put in the
              oven at 7am to slow cook for the day.
              We got there at 2:30, and they were all having this HUGE Xmas meal. Ham
              (GAK!) stuffing, potatoes, pies, the works. Hubby (who had spent like 75
              bucks on the prime rib) was bent out of shape.
              Anyway, dinner was on time, nothing was left, everybody enjoyed it and
              we were all happy. Whew
              This year, we're going up there the day after Xmas. Mom is cooking a
              turkey. Hubby said if there is another ham fiasco, he's never going
              back.
              Last night, there was a huge package at our front door, from my bmom. I
              mean HUGE!
              It's from Smithfield's Hams in Virginia. It said "refrigerate
              immediately".
              Hubby laughed his head off. Bmom had heard the "saga of the hams" and he
              was certain she used a box as a joke. I wasn't so sure. Hubby said,
              let's put it under the tree, and I said, no, we better open it, just to
              be careful. LOL
              There was a ham in there, that I swear----it's bigger and pinker than
              one of Michael Moore's butt cheeks. It's larger and as long as my
              14-year-old's thigh. That ****** is over 20 lbs.
              Talked to bmom today to let her know it got here.
              She said, I SENT you an email telling you that there would be a seperate
              package that was just for hubby!
              For the last 2 years, for Xmas, she sent him some liberal books, which
              he kind of browsed in a puzzled manner, but never really read.
              She decided that this year, after the election, knowing that she'll
              never convert him, to send him a gigantic hunk of PORK! LOL
              -------------------------
              A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true
              friend will be sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"
              -----Unknown

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

Some wag once defined eternity as "a ham and two people."

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

>
                  "sylak" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
                  Actually, the chicken came out very well. It would seem that my youngest has been spending some of her time learning to cook.
                  Excellent. Glad not to hear a cooking disaster story My favorite ham story
                  involves a rather flaky friend of my spouse who was attending the wedding of a very nice muslim couple. She volunteered to bring the ham. Someone pointed out to her than Moslems don't eat pork. Her response was; "so, what if I get a kosher ham?"
                  Oh NO! I sincerely hope she was diswayed from getting the ham!
                  Ohmigod, it was fantastic! Nice cracked peppercorn/herb/fresh garlic crustand cooked to perfection. My husband also made a wonderful red wine au jussauce to go with it. It was, without a doubt, the BEST prime rib I've everhad. He's definitely the man.Happy Holidays to you and yours -----------RobynResident Witchypoo#1557

I've read just about enough of great Christmas meals. We spent the day driving
                  325 miles to see my m-i-l. Didn't see an open restaurant anywhere, so we ate
                  what we could find at a gas station along the interstate. Mmmmmmmm. Nothing
                  like a "Charbroil" full of textured vegetable protein and cheese food, with a
                  side of gourmet white popcorn, a bottle of diet soda and a handful of beef
                  jerky.

When we arrived at our destination we were greeted with warmed up ham,
                  potatoes, etc., all of which somehow managed to taste alike.

Almost worse than the year we split a pastrami on rye and a bowl of dirty rice
                  for our Christmas meal.

J.

Reply to jmhjmd at aol.

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

In article <[email protected]>,
                    [email protected]ostible (J.) wrote:

I've read just about enough of great Christmas meals. We spent the day driving 325 miles to see my m-i-l. Didn't see an open restaurant anywhere, so we ate what we could find at a gas station along the interstate. Mmmmmmmm. Nothing like a "Charbroil" full of textured vegetable protein and cheese food, with a side of gourmet white popcorn, a bottle of diet soda and a handful of beef jerky. When we arrived at our destination we were greeted with warmed up ham, potatoes, etc., all of which somehow managed to taste alike. Almost worse than the year we split a pastrami on rye and a bowl of dirty rice for our Christmas meal.

You either need to move much closer to your m-i-l, or much further away
                    :-)

steve

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

>
                      In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]ostible (J.) wrote:
                      I've read just about enough of great Christmas meals. We spent the day driving 325 miles to see my m-i-l. Didn't see an open restaurant anywhere, so we ate what we could find at a gas station along the interstate. Mmmmmmmm. Nothing like a "Charbroil" full of textured vegetable protein and cheese food, with a side of gourmet white popcorn, a bottle of diet soda and a handful of beef jerky. When we arrived at our destination we were greeted with warmed up ham, potatoes, etc., all of which somehow managed to taste alike. Almost worse than the year we split a pastrami on rye and a bowl of dirty rice for our Christmas meal.
                      You either need to move much closer to your m-i-l, or much further away:-)steve
                      There's a good chance she'll be here by next Christmas, probably sooner. She
                      turns 90 in February and her surviving daughters live here and in southwestern
                      South Dakota.

J.

Reply to jmhjmd at aol.

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

"J." <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        "sylak" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
                        > Heehee - I actually LOVE ham, but always associate it more with Easter> than> with Christmas. Roast chicken actually is pretty easy. Is it one of> those oven-stuffer roasters with the pop-up thing? That definitely
                        takes
                        > out a bit of the guesswork as to if it's done or not. A nice touch
                        (and
                        > will make the kitchen smell wonderful) is to mix some herbs (poultry> seasoning, thyme, fresh chopped garlic, etc.) with a little bit of
                        olive
                        > oil to make a paste and then coat the chicken with that before
                        roasting.
                        > Good luck! >> We were going to attempt to cook a goose this year for Christmas
                        dinner,
                        > but prime rib was on sale. Yum! > -- Actually, the chicken came out very well. It would seem that my
                        youngest
                        has been spending some of her time learning to cook.Excellent. Glad not to hear a cooking disaster story My favorite ham story
                        involves a rather flaky friend of my spouse who was attending the
                        wedding
                        of a very nice muslim couple. She volunteered to bring the ham. Someone pointed out to her than Moslems don't eat pork. Her response was; "so, what if I get a kosher ham?"Oh NO! I sincerely hope she was diswayed from getting the ham!
                        Ohmigod, it was fantastic! Nice cracked peppercorn/herb/fresh garlic
                        crust
                        and cooked to perfection. My husband also made a wonderful red wine au
                        jus
                        sauce to go with it. It was, without a doubt, the BEST prime rib I've
                        ever
                        had. He's definitely the man.Happy Holidays to you and yours -----------RobynResident Witchypoo#1557 I've read just about enough of great Christmas meals. We spent the day
                        driving
                        325 miles to see my m-i-l. Didn't see an open restaurant anywhere, so we
                        ate
                        what we could find at a gas station along the interstate. Mmmmmmmm.
                        Nothing
                        like a "Charbroil" full of textured vegetable protein and cheese food,
                        with a
                        side of gourmet white popcorn, a bottle of diet soda and a handful of beef jerky. When we arrived at our destination we were greeted with warmed up ham, potatoes, etc., all of which somehow managed to taste alike. Almost worse than the year we split a pastrami on rye and a bowl of dirty
                        rice
                        for our Christmas meal. J.

LOL and here I was thinking we were a little 'off' having Christmas dinner
                        at a Chinese restaurant (due to a major kitchen/bath remodel). The thing I
                        was most thankful for this X-mas was that the guy installing the shower was
                        actually willing to finish installing it on Christmas Eve day. We had been
                        without it since Sunday night and he was determined that we would have one
                        for Christmas.

Kathy 1

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

>
                          "J." <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
                          "sylak" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]>>> Heehee - I actually LOVE ham, but always associate it more with Easter>> than>> with Christmas. Roast chicken actually is pretty easy. Is it one of>> those oven-stuffer roasters with the pop-up thing? That definitely
                          takes
                          >> out a bit of the guesswork as to if it's done or not. A nice touch
                          (and
                          >> will make the kitchen smell wonderful) is to mix some herbs (poultry>> seasoning, thyme, fresh chopped garlic, etc.) with a little bit of
                          olive
                          >> oil to make a paste and then coat the chicken with that before
                          roasting.
                          >> Good luck! >>>> We were going to attempt to cook a goose this year for Christmas
                          dinner,
                          >> but prime rib was on sale. Yum! >> -->> Actually, the chicken came out very well. It would seem that my
                          youngest
                          > has been spending some of her time learning to cook.Excellent. Glad not to hear a cooking disaster story My favorite ham story> involves a rather flaky friend of my spouse who was attending the
                          wedding
                          > of a very nice muslim couple. She volunteered to bring the ham. Someone> pointed out to her than Moslems don't eat pork. Her response was; "so,> what if I get a kosher ham?"Oh NO! I sincerely hope she was diswayed from getting the ham!>Goose is a lot of work for not much meat. Prime rib is good.Ohmigod, it was fantastic! Nice cracked peppercorn/herb/fresh garlic
                          crust
                          and cooked to perfection. My husband also made a wonderful red wine au
                          jus
                          sauce to go with it. It was, without a doubt, the BEST prime rib I've
                          ever
                          had. He's definitely the man.Happy Holidays to you and yours -----------RobynResident Witchypoo#1557 I've read just about enough of great Christmas meals. We spent the day
                          driving
                          325 miles to see my m-i-l. Didn't see an open restaurant anywhere, so we
                          ate
                          Nothing
                          with a
                          side of gourmet white popcorn, a bottle of diet soda and a handful of beef jerky. When we arrived at our destination we were greeted with warmed up ham, potatoes, etc., all of which somehow managed to taste alike. Almost worse than the year we split a pastrami on rye and a bowl of dirty
                          rice
                          LOL and here I was thinking we were a little 'off' having Christmas dinnerat a Chinese restaurant (due to a major kitchen/bath remodel). The thing Iwas most thankful for this X-mas was that the guy installing the shower wasactually willing to finish installing it on Christmas Eve day. We had beenwithout it since Sunday night and he was determined that we would have onefor Christmas.Kathy 1
                          Jane and I gutted a 110 year-old house in the late '70s. I demolished the
                          existing bath on the 4th of July. By the time I had excavated a crawl space,
                          poured footings and re-supported the house, extended the plumbing to the new
                          bathrooom and installed the new water heater, it was Christmas Eve - exactly
                          when I had promised her it would be in.

J.

Reply to jmhjmd at aol.

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

"J." <[email protected]> wrote in message

I've read just about enough of great Christmas meals. We spent the daydriving
                            325 miles to see my m-i-l. Didn't see an open restaurant anywhere, so
                            we
                            ate
                            Nothing
                            with a
                            side of gourmet white popcorn, a bottle of diet soda and a handful of
                            beef
                            jerky. When we arrived at our destination we were greeted with warmed up ham, potatoes, etc., all of which somehow managed to taste alike. Almost worse than the year we split a pastrami on rye and a bowl of
                            dirty
                            rice
                            LOL and here I was thinking we were a little 'off' having Christmas
                            dinner
                            at a Chinese restaurant (due to a major kitchen/bath remodel). The thing
                            I
                            was most thankful for this X-mas was that the guy installing the shower
                            was
                            actually willing to finish installing it on Christmas Eve day. We had
                            been
                            without it since Sunday night and he was determined that we would have
                            one
                            for Christmas.Kathy 1 Jane and I gutted a 110 year-old house in the late '70s. I demolished the existing bath on the 4th of July. By the time I had excavated a crawl
                            space,
                            poured footings and re-supported the house, extended the plumbing to the
                            new
                            bathrooom and installed the new water heater, it was Christmas Eve -
                            exactly
                            when I had promised her it would be in. J.
                            Yikes! Keep those stories coming - I'm feeling better all the time I
                            hope it wasn't your only bath. The carpenter tried to talk us into adding a
                            second bath before we remodeled but alas that was not feasible. Our home is
                            a very strange concoction of building materials and add-ons. The main
                            living area is poured concrete walls - not concrete block - actual poured
                            concrete (covered with drywall). The bath is built partially on a cement
                            block and partially on a wood frame. Unfortunately where the shower is
                            located is on the cement portion so the plumbing is on top of the cement
                            which necessitated a raised platform for the shower. The furnace (fuel oil)
                            is also located in the bathroom so we thought it would be a good idea to
                            replace it (with a propane) while the bathroom was torn up since it must be
                            at least 30 years old and we just had a $300 repair bill two weeks ago. Not
                            to mention I could get central air That is also on the cement portion.
                            They thought the shortest easiest way would be to cut a strip through the
                            kitchen floor to the back of the house and run the pipe that way. When they
                            took up that section of the floor, underneath there was a cement slab about
                            3" down that is about 6" deep. They knew that and were planning to run the
                            pipe on top of it. What they weren't expecting was a heat duct running
                            across a portion of it. So now they have spent the last two days chipping
                            away a path underneath the heat duct. I had hoped to get it installed
                            before I had to get more fuel oil but no such luck. I had to get 100
                            gallons which we will now have to drain when we get rid of the tank beside
                            the house. And so it goes. . . . I'm sure that's more than you ever cared
                            to know but I feel better after kvetching

Kathy 1

Comment

Happy Holidays and Ham

>
                              "J." <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
                              > I've read just about enough of great Christmas meals. We spent the daydriving> 325 miles to see my m-i-l. Didn't see an open restaurant anywhere, so
                              we
                              ate> what we could find at a gas station along the interstate. Mmmmmmmm.Nothing> like a "Charbroil" full of textured vegetable protein and cheese food,with a> side of gourmet white popcorn, a bottle of diet soda and a handful of
                              beef
                              > jerky.>> When we arrived at our destination we were greeted with warmed up ham,> potatoes, etc., all of which somehow managed to taste alike.>> Almost worse than the year we split a pastrami on rye and a bowl of
                              dirty
                              rice> for our Christmas meal.>> J.LOL and here I was thinking we were a little 'off' having Christmas
                              dinner
                              at a Chinese restaurant (due to a major kitchen/bath remodel). The thing
                              I
                              was most thankful for this X-mas was that the guy installing the shower
                              was
                              actually willing to finish installing it on Christmas Eve day. We had
                              been
                              without it since Sunday night and he was determined that we would have
                              one
                              for Christmas.Kathy 1 Jane and I gutted a 110 year-old house in the late '70s. I demolished the existing bath on the 4th of July. By the time I had excavated a crawl
                              space,
                              poured footings and re-supported the house, extended the plumbing to the
                              new
                              bathrooom and installed the new water heater, it was Christmas Eve -
                              exactly
                              when I had promised her it would be in. J.
                              Yikes! Keep those stories coming - I'm feeling better all the time Ihope it wasn't your only bath. The carpenter tried to talk us into adding asecond bath before we remodeled but alas that was not feasible. Our home isa very strange concoction of building materials and add-ons. The mainliving area is poured concrete walls - not concrete block - actual pouredconcrete (covered with drywall). The bath is built partially on a cementblock and partially on a wood frame. Unfortunately where the shower islocated is on the cement portion so the plumbing is on top of the cementwhich necessitated a raised platform for the shower. The furnace (fuel oil)is also located in the bathroom so we thought it would be a good idea toreplace it (with a propane) while the bathroom was torn up since it must beat least 30 years old and we just had a $300 repair bill two weeks ago. Notto mention I could get central air That is also on the cement portion.They thought the shortest easiest way would be to cut a strip through thekitchen floor to the back of the house and run the pipe that way. When theytook up that section of the floor, underneath there was a cement slab about3" down that is about 6" deep. They knew that and were planning to run thepipe on top of it. What they weren't expecting was a heat duct runningacross a portion of it. So now they have spent the last two days chippingaway a path underneath the heat duct. I had hoped to get it installedbefore I had to get more fuel oil but no such luck. I had to get 100gallons which we will now have to drain when we get rid of the tank besidethe house. And so it goes. . . . I'm sure that's more than you ever caredto know but I feel better after kvetching Kathy 1
                              It was a one-bath to begin with. You don't want to know the details of how we
                              got around that.

Your project sounds remarkably similar to ours. Our house had begun life as a
                              one-room, squared-log miner's cabin, with walls a bit over 5 feet high.
                              Somewhere along the line, they added two rooms to the south. Then two rooms to
                              the east of those. Then, about the time city sewer and water became available,
                              they built west from the original room, into the base of the mountain. The
                              kitchen and bath went there, between the original cabin and a root cellar cut
                              into the hillside. The walls were 18" thick native stone.

At some point, an owner decided it should all look alike outside and added a
                              brick veneer. Decades later, I suspect, someone else didn't like the brick and
                              stuccoed over that. The thinnest exterior wall in the house was on the order
                              of 10" thick, while the thickest were over 2'. We had some amazing window
                              sills when we were done, but I burned out more than one saw chain trying to
                              cut doorways through mortar-chinked logs that has seasoned for more than one
                              hundred years.

J.
                              Permanently retired from the remodeling game.

Reply to jmhjmd at aol.

Comment

Working...
                              X