New to South Carolina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to South Carolina

I am new to the area so don't know much about the laws here so was wondering if someone could help? If a person is paying child support and the child drops out of school at the age of 17 and is pregnant do you still have to pay support on that child?

Originally posted by terry123
    I am new to the area so don't know much about the laws here so was wondering if someone could help? If a person is paying child support and the child drops out of school at the age of 17 and is pregnant do you still have to pay support on that child?

Pregnancy does not automatically stop support. The only way court ordered support can stop is generally through another court order (i.e modification). The fact the child is not in school could favor things in that direction but it's not a guarentee. You say you are new to the state... however, the court in which the order was made in remains the court with jurisdiction (things based on their law) until jurisdiction is legally changed.

Comment

Read the support order. IF the child is emancipated before age 18 and the child's pregnancy may be grounds to apply for emancipation, apply for termination. Otherwise, it is usually age 18 or until high school is over so long as regular progress is being made. At any rate, you need to get an order to terminate the support obligation.

Comment

Working...
      X