Question in South Carolina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question in South Carolina

My husband and I have had our grandchild with us since birth. She is now 8. We have had legal custody since she was about 2. We have had full financial responsibility for the child. Her mother visits and likes to call herself mom. She has another child that she is a good mother to. My question is what obstacles might we encounter when going to court to make this an adoption rather than a "custodial" situation? Any help would be appreciated as we plan to attempt this without legal counsel if it will be cut and dry.

I suggest that you leave it alone. If you pursue adoption, I suspect that the mother will fight it and go back to court and seek to take the child away and back into her custody since she is a good mother wiht another child and able to care and be a mother to the child. And based on what you say, the mother will probably be successful in getting the custody back to her. Since she calls herself Mom and still has contact with the daughter, there is no abandonment. If you pursue support monies, I suspect the same thing will happen.
    I woudl advise against adoption at this point and even suggest that you support the child reunifying with the mother if you cannot leave the situation alone.
    I suggest consulting a local attorney to get their take on things.

Comment

Working...
    X