Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Carolina Dismiss Support Payments Q&A?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Dismiss Support Payments Q&A?

I have always paid my child support obligations as listed under my Divorce Decree. Now my children are 18 years old and older. My support continues to be paid thru my employer. It's my understanding that I must have a Motion to Dismiss Support Payments filed in Family Court back in South Carolina.

I live in Arizona and am wondering how I can get this done? Do I need an Attorney to represent my interests? Or can I file the Motion with the Clerk of Courts and pay the filing fee? How do I obtain my ex-wife's signature on the Motion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by TJTucson
    I have always paid my child support obligations as listed under my Divorce Decree. Now my children are 18 years old and older. My support continues to be paid thru my employer. It's my understanding that I must have a Motion to Dismiss Support Payments filed in Family Court back in South Carolina.

I live in Arizona and am wondering how I can get this done? Do I need an Attorney to represent my interests? Or can I file the Motion with the Clerk of Courts and pay the filing fee? How do I obtain my ex-wife's signature on the Motion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can file the motion with the clerk of court yourself, call them to find out how to file. I don't believe that your ex's signature is required on the motion though. Be sure to attach a copy of the CS order and proof of childrens' ages to the motion.

Is any office of child support enforcement involved in your case? If so, simply contact them to stop the garnishment. (That is thier job, but they usually have to be reminded).

Comment

emancipation

hello here is a web site for you

1-800-768-5858 general info cs sc

have case # ready and ss # 's and childrens names and socials if you have them.

call regional office.... county with support case file and they will have the forms for you

http://www.state.sc.us/dss/csed/

another web site with info

www.deltabravo.net/custody

web site

Comment

You can hire an attorney in SC to do this, or do it yourself. You need to file a motion to terminate support payments based on the children reaching the age of majority. If they are in some kind of post- secondary schooling, there may still be some support owed so you need to state that the kids are not attending post- secondary school, or they are emancipated.

Comment

Working...
        X