Name Change issues South Carolina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Change issues South Carolina

I was born with a name, and I changed that name in California at the Social Security office in 1996. I did not need a court order or anything more than documentation for the social security office. Now since I relocated to SC, the DMV here wont give me a license or transfer mine over because of the name conflict between the social security & birth certificate. I went to social security, got a print out and gave that to the DMV but that is not good enough. I also showed them my CA drivers license and still that wont convince them of my name.

What can I do? Perhaps all the new HomeLand security, identity theft, fraud and other such laws that have risen since 1996 have made things far more complicated then what they were then.

John
    Last edited by jwolf6589; 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM.

How did you change your name without a court order? What legal document did you present to the SS office?

I changed my first name many years ago but that required a court order even though I had been pretty much using that name my whole life.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Morgana View Post
      How did you change your name without a court order? What legal document did you present to the SS office?

I changed my first name many years ago but that required a court order even though I had been pretty much using that name my whole life.

Hmm.. It was California in San Mateo County. Maybe they did it without a court order in 1996? Or maybe we did have one it just got lost. In that event how would I locate it?

Comment

My name change was in 1988 in Alabama. I still have copies of the court order. I'd call the probate court in San matteo and ask them how to get a copy. There had to be something legal to change your name.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I dont remember much from a event that happened 13 years ago. But I ony remember them asking for the birth certificate, the DL, bank statements, school ID card, ATM card, and a ton of paperwork. I dont ever remember going to court to get a name change and that one I would have not forgotten. But the name change was made and the social security office changed it and gave me a new card with the name on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgana View Post
            My name change was in 1988 in Alabama. I still have copies of the court order. I'd call the probate court in San matteo and ask them how to get a copy. There had to be something legal to change your name.
            I sent them a email so maybe they have the documents. Or maybe California is more liberal and did it without a court order?

Comment

I never actually went to court. I went to the Probate office, filled in the paperwork, submitted documents and then went back about 2 weeks later after the judge had signed the order.
              The website below can probably give you more information about who to contact.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp...hangeadult.htm
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Who do I call?

http://www.sanmateocourt.org/directo...nfo/phone.html

Comment

Okay looked at that site. Who do I call, email, fax or mail? Thanks..

I want to make this as simpe, as possible. Perhaps the court order got lost in the many times I have moved since then.

John

Comment

http://www.sanmateocourt.org/directo...t_records.html

http://www.sanmateocourt.org/directo...mgt/index.html

I wonder if they have it, I wonder if DMV will access a fax. Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                    X