emancipation in oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emancipation in oklahoma

I am 17 and will be 18 in November. I have a steady job and a vehicle, but my father's name is on the title as well. I am sick and tired of dealing with their BS. Ever since I can remember I have had to be "perfect". If a got anything below a 'B' on classwork or overall in grades, I would have a breakdown because I was afraid of my parents. I have been told that this is a form of emotional abuse and control. I have also been told that getting swats when you are my age isunreasonable as well. They scream and yell at me and my siblings, if something went wrong it was always our fault, no matter what! Their rules are super strict, even my teachers and friend's parents disagree with their methods. What are the rules on emancipation in Oklahoma, so I can finally be free from this horrible house. I also forgot to say I was adopted by these people when I was 5, and I am the oldest in the house. I have always had great grades, and a crystal clear record. I fI leave now they will report me as a runaway. Thanks
    Last edited by april anne; 04-20-2006, 08:51 AM.
    You laugh because I'm different. I Laugh because you are all the same!

Originally posted by april anne
    I am 17 and will be 18 in November. I have a steady job and a vehicle, but my father's name is on the title as well. I am sick and tired of dealing with their BS. Ever since I can remember I have had to be "perfect". If a got anything below a 'B' on classwork or overall in grades, I would have a breakdown because I was afraid of my parents. I have been told that this is a form of emotional abuse and control. I have also been told that getting swats when you are my age isunreasonable as well. They scream and yell at me and my siblings, if something went wrong it was always our fault, no matter what! Their rules are super strict, even my teachers and friend's parents disagree with their methods. What are the rules on emancipation in Oklahoma, so I can finally be free from this horrible house. I also forgot to say I was adopted by these people when I was 5, and I am the oldest in the house. I have always had great grades, and a crystal clear record. I fI leave now they will report me as a runaway. Thanks
    The threshhold you would have to meet in order to be emancipated aside, I have to tell you that it will probably not be able to be accomplished before you are 18. Your best option is to hold out for a few more months and move out then. Use the next few months to save as much money as you can and get prepared. While I understand the feelings about the grades (my parents were the same way) try to look at it as an advantage to YOUR future. Are you planning on going to college? I know 6 months seems like a really long time, but you really need that time to get all of your ducks in a row. Once you are 18, you're free to do whatever you want.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

my parents suck

Yeah, but if I do move out when i'm 18 they are going to sell my car. And I know that the way they are treating us is unhealthy. I'm tired of dealing with them. What would happen if I just moved out now? And they reported me as a runaway.

Comment

Yeah, but if I do move out when i'm 18 they are going to sell my car. And I know that the way they are treating us is unhealthy. I'm tired of dealing with them. What would happen if I just moved out now? And they reported me as a runaway.
        The police would bring you back. You could face charges for running away and anybody you stay with can face charges of harboring a runaway. Who pays for the car?
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        (unique up on him)
        (same way)

Comment

car

i pay for the car and the insurance as well.

Comment

i pay for the car and the insurance as well.
            do your parents or have they made ANY payments? The down payment, anything? I say this, because you might check into what happens if they sell the car, but you have paid for it. You MIGHT (I don't know) have a case to recieve the money that they get for the car, if and when they sell it. Can you prove that you have paid for the car and insurance, yourself?
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

emancipation

My friends daughter is 17 and will be 18 in January. Two months ago she was emancipated as her step father mentally abused her. She was allowed to go to another town and live with her boyfriend. Neither of them had cars or jobs. Just call the courthouse in your town and find out the laws about it.

Comment

Originally posted by anglbug002
                My friends daughter is 17 and will be 18 in January. Two months ago she was emancipated as her step father mentally abused her. She was allowed to go to another town and live with her boyfriend. Neither of them had cars or jobs. Just call the courthouse in your town and find out the laws about it.
                Well, I addressed you on the other thread, also, but I will post the STATUTES FOR OK for you to read so that you will stop giving out incorrect information and advice.
                www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/oklahoma.html
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

Working...
                X