Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THEY HAVE THE WRONG MAN in Oklahoma

Comic Sans MS

I have a question about child support. My husband just received a letter in the mail yesterday saying that our tax return was garnished because of child support. This is the first thing we have ever heard about this matter. We have not received any notices, court appearances, or DNA testing. They have now taken some of our tax money and they say that they sent him a certified letter in the mail stating when/where he needed to appear in court. We never received this letter and because we didn't show up in court, we automatically defaulted. When he finally got through today, they said that they could not tell him the date of birth, they could not fax him a copy of the signature of WHOMEVER received and signed the certified letter, and they could not send him the court information that was "sent" to him in the certified letter. CAN THIS HAPPEN???? What can we do?? We live in Oklahoma, and she lives in Illinois!!! HELP Someone give me some kind of advice on what to do.... They also said they were going to start garnishing his wages soon!
    Last edited by morris123; 04-18-2006, 04:33 PM. Reason: forgot a word

If you know what state and county the court is in, check to see if that county has a website where judicial records are posted. If they do, do a search with your husband's name.

Also, request a copy of the garnishment order. If they give you a hard time, just have your husband get a copy from his employer once they receive it.

Then you will need to work backwards and find out who the judge and other court officers were.

He is going to HAVE to have an attorney, but doing some of the leg work yourself will cut down on the expense.

Comment

Thank You so much for your help! We are making an appointment today with an attorney! They won't even tell us when the child was born! I don't understand all of this, but hopefully an attorney will be able to explain things a little better
      Thank you Again!

Comment

Originally posted by morris123
        Thank You so much for your help! We are making an appointment today with an attorney! They won't even tell us when the child was born! I don't understand all of this, but hopefully an attorney will be able to explain things a little better
        Thank you Again!
        They HAVE to give him a copy of the court order. Your husband can go to the county the order was issued and go to the county or district clerk and ask for a copy. There may be a small fee for the copy, but they HAVE to give it to him if he is a party to the order. Since the name of the office may vary by location, just call the courthouse and ask what office child support orders are filed with.

Comment

Working...
        X