Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax question in OKlahoma

Hi:
    I am doing my sons Oklahoma State and Fed taxes and the question has come up about wheather or not he has paid 50% of his sons living expenses. My Grandson lives full time with his mother. She and my son were never married. He does pay the court ordered amount for child support and for his daycare. I don't know what is considered 50% so I don't know how to answert that question. Can anyone help?

As to the 50% support, I cannot give you a definite answer. But she should be aware that as of 2005, the federal tax rules changed. Not only does the person claiming a child as a dependent have to contribute 50% of financial support, but the child must also live with the party at least 50% of the year. This does not pertain to parents that have it in their court orders dictating how the tax issues should be handled. (Some have it spelled out that the parents alternate years, etc.)
    Last edited by mommyof4; 03-24-2006, 09:07 AM. Reason: to clarify federal tax
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by kathanso
      Hi:
      I am doing my sons Oklahoma State and Fed taxes and the question has come up about wheather or not he has paid 50% of his sons living expenses. My Grandson lives full time with his mother. She and my son were never married. He does pay the court ordered amount for child support and for his daycare. I don't know what is considered 50% so I don't know how to answert that question. Can anyone help?
      You need to ask an accountant about it, I believe that I recently read that the custodial parent has to sign a form for the NCP to be able to claim the child on thier taxes.

Comment

Thanks for your help

Thank you both for you help. He didn't live with my son any so that answered that and there are no court orders specifying who claims. I can finish now. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Look at the custody order- usually that will say which parent gets the tax deduction; usually it is the custodial parent unless the other parent gets it by court order.

Comment

Working...
          X