This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
    If you are saying to yourself "Boy, it seems that the system is stacked against me to become emancipated", it is because the system IS stacked against you to become emancipated.

You must be living on your own. There is no way around that.
    I read that there was a law on the books here in Tennessee that you can not shoot game other than whales from an automobile.

So, you get to thinking, oooooohhhh, there ARE no whales in Tennessee, so they really wrote this meaning, you can not shoot ANYTHING from a moving vehicle.

So, you can be emancipated when you are already out of the house but if you leave the house you will be charged as a runaway. Oooooo, maybe they meant, you can not be emancipated but wanted to write it in such a way to make you think you possibly had a chance.

Comment

emancipation

Hello,
      I have been living on my own for almost 3mo. now. I am paying rent and staying in school with good grades and just trying to make it on my own. My guardians are my grandparents and they dont really care. My grandmother tried to get me to quit my job because i could not go with her on vacation and i refussed. Then she tried to hit me and I left and was living on my own for 4wks and they called the police and had them come get me from school. So I went back and a couple weeks later it was the same and my grandpa kept insulting me and I was tired of it and i left for work early and he asked for his keys to his house back. I am 17 and for the past 2 years I have been saving money in a bank account and I do not have access to it and she has $2000 dollars of mine that I worked for over the two summers. I work at a pizza hut and dont make much money and neeed a car and they are refussing to give me my money and I dont know what rights I have? they are not supporting me and actually they are taking money out of that account and I need it. What should I do?

Comment

Please start your own thread.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

I moved out at 17

My experience with Oklahoma law and moving out at 17 was this:
          I had a job, paid my rent, and had my own car in my name that I had paid off already. My mother kicked me out the summer of my junior year and 3 days later claimed I ran away. It was a small town so this may just be because the police didn't follow the same prcedures a larger city may have followed. But the police let me be. I stayed in school and graduated. Maybe they saw I was in a better situation and was obviously responsible enough to be on my own. They visited my home, told me I had been reported as a run away and interviewed me there. I never heard from them again. I found out, years later from my mother, that the officer reported back to her that since I was not hiding from her and had established my own income and living arraingements, that they saw no reason to get involved since I would be 18 in the next 6 months.
          This isn't legal advice, just my own experience. The only problem I had was the title to my car was in mine and my dad's name. She said she would report it stolen if I didn't come home. But since it said "and/or" on the title and not just "and", she had no standing and it was also ignored by the police. I offered to give her my car to leave me alone, but when I explained to her it was my only transportation to school and I lived out of the area where the bus would come, she let me go.
          p.s. My mother not only worked for the Muskogee county sheriff in the office, but had also worked as a social worker for DHS for many years. Looking back, I don't know how she didn't have my butt hauled back home. Thank god she didn't. Just make sure you graduate!!!
          The point of this story is, once you hit the age of 17, most police will not waste there time looking for you as long as they know you aren't in danger. They have bigger issues. But if you were to get in trouble or pulled over even, you would most likely be taken back to your parent. So keep your nose clean

Comment

Also

If you move out of your area, make sure you take all your info with you or you may not get it until you're 18! Get your Social Security card, birth certificate, immunization records, and school records and transcript so you can transfer to another school or be admitted into college if you've already graduated. You will also need to make sure you put a utility bill in your name or have your name added to the utility/water bill to be admitted into most schools where you move to.
            I was not able to transfer to the school closer to where I moved because of I lacked the info needed. I was forced to drive 30 miles to school everyday to be able to graduate.

Comment

Try to keep track of dates when you post the original post is from 2005.

Comment

I was actually replying to jomyster, who posted recently.
                But I will learn how to navigate and recognize this forum's form after a few more trips here. It is my first day, thanks

Comment

No wait, I was replying to Manda, not jomyster. Is there a way to reply directly or is it always directed to the entire thread?

Comment

Since "manda" hasn't been on in over a year and is most likely already 18 there is no reason to respond to it.

Comment

Is there a reason this forum discourages replying to old posts? It seems a bit controlling but surely there's a good reason that I'm just missing?

Comment

Because there are new threads that deserve as much attention as the old threads received.
                        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                        (unique up on him)
                        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                        (same way)

Comment

First, replying to old posts is pointless since the OP is generally no longer around.

Second, replying to old posts brings them forward and wastes the time of people who may not initially notice the date and could better spend that time replying to new posts.

And on this forum, at least, because in many cases the OP has already passed the age of 18 by the time you reply to their dead thread and thus they don't need the information anyway.
                          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Is it your job to point out what's pointless? Ironically, that is pointless.

I would not have come back to this thread had there not been replies. Your replies keep this thread recent as well, so they seem just as pointless.
                            Instead of pointing out to new people they're posts are pointless, you should concentrate on replying to the new threads.

FYI, when I came here looking for answers, I searched old posts hoping someone had asked the same question I had. Old posts are not pointless, they are referrences.

Don't waste your time updating this thread again by responding to my 'pointless' post, I won't be back. The only responses I received on this forum was to this thread, not to the new thread I started. Seems this forum is pointless

Comment

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is my job to point out that it's pointless.

You don't have to agree with the reasons. They exist regardless.
                              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Locking this thread since it appears no one is capable of reading the instructions to start their own thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X