This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation in Oklahoma

my boyfriend lives in Oklahoma and he wants to come and live with me but his mom said that if he ever left the house she would call the cops for a runaway. he wants to get emancipated but she told him he has to go to school but she wont take him to school. i know that he can get emacipated but we dont know if it will work. So some one tell me if he can get emancipated in Oklahoma and how long will it take if he can. thanks
    Kim

At this point, he does not sound like a candidate for emancipation since he has no transportation, means of support, or even a job. I think you all need to slow down some.

Comment

hey i want to be emancipated but i dont know how to go about it im about to get a job and car so actually i have one but im selling it for another one can enyone give me eny advice

Comment

Originally posted by cynthia_16
        hey i want to be emancipated but i dont know how to go about it im about to get a job and car so actually i have one but im selling it for another one can enyone give me eny advice
        Well, you need to tell us what state and the reasons why you feel you need to be emancipated.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

emancipation in Oklahoma

My friends daughter who is 17 was emancipated and able to go live with her boyfriend. Her step father was mentally abusing her and she wanted out. She called the courthouse in the town she lives and was able to get emancipated, and I believe it only took a day to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by anglbug002
            My friends daughter who is 17 was emancipated and able to go live with her boyfriend. Her step father was mentally abusing her and she wanted out. She called the courthouse in the town she lives and was able to get emancipated, and I believe it only took a day to get it.
            No, she didn't. Her father probably gave her permission to move out. There is no way a judicial hearing and ruling could happen in one day after a teen (or anybody) "calls the courthouse". I am not saying that she did not move out, but I am saying that she was not legally emancipated. That's not how it works.

www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/oklahoma.html

Please do not post blatantly incorrect legal information or advice. Check the facts first.
            Last edited by mommyof4; 08-21-2006, 06:25 AM.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

Her step father and her mom tried to stop it and there was nothing legally that they could do to stop it. Less than 5 days after she called courthouse she moved out. I was there when this all happened, she never had to go to court for it or anything.We were very upset about all of this since she was only 17.

Comment

Originally posted by anglbug002
                Her step father and her mom tried to stop it and there was nothing legally that they could do to stop it. Less than 5 days after she called courthouse she moved out. I was there when this all happened, she never had to go to court for it or anything.We were very upset about all of this since she was only 17.
                As I said, she may have moved out, but she was not legally emancipated. She would have to have an atty, file a petition, a court date would have been set not less than 15 DAYS after filing the petition, notice would have to be given to her parents or legal guardian (by certified, return reciept mail) who would have the right to have their objections heard, and then the judge would have to have made a ruling based on any evidence she could produce to show that she was fully supporting herself and could continue to do so, had a place to live ALONE, and was mature and responsible enough to concduct herself as a mature, law abiding adult would be expected to. Finally, she would have to have paid all court and administration fees, including her atty fees.

If her father never reported her for leaving the home, he implied his consent for her to move out. It sounds like this girl was very manipulative and got away with it.
                Last edited by mommyof4; 08-23-2006, 05:49 AM.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

Emancipation Please!!

Hello My Name Is Jessica And I Want To Get Emancipated But I Do Not Know What To Do! Me And My Mother Do Nothing But Fight, And Its Not Just Your Normal Mother Daughter Conflict Its Terrible!! Well I Have Tried To Go Live With My Dad But He Will Not Let Me. He Was Not In My Life 7 Years And And I Got To Talk To Him Last Year In June. And I Also Got To Spend Time With Him And His New Wife And Kids. Well After Awhile We Lost Touch And Now I Dont Know How To Get A Hold Of Him Except Through My Grandmother And She Wont Do Anything That Might Upset Him. Well Please I Need To Know What To Do. My Mother And Stepfather Have Sent Me Away 3 Times Because Of Conflict And Trouble In The Home! This Is My Last Resort! Please Let Me Know! Thank You!

Jessica

Comment

Originally posted by senior09
                    Hello My Name Is Jessica And I Want To Get Emancipated But I Do Not Know What To Do! Me And My Mother Do Nothing But Fight, And Its Not Just Your Normal Mother Daughter Conflict Its Terrible!! Well I Have Tried To Go Live With My Dad But He Will Not Let Me. He Was Not In My Life 7 Years And And I Got To Talk To Him Last Year In June. And I Also Got To Spend Time With Him And His New Wife And Kids. Well After Awhile We Lost Touch And Now I Dont Know How To Get A Hold Of Him Except Through My Grandmother And She Wont Do Anything That Might Upset Him. Well Please I Need To Know What To Do. My Mother And Stepfather Have Sent Me Away 3 Times Because Of Conflict And Trouble In The Home! This Is My Last Resort! Please Let Me Know! Thank You!

Jessica
                    1. How old are you?

2. Where did your mom and step dad send you when you had trouble at home?

3. Were the police, juvenile authorities, or CPS involved in any of your problems at home?

Comment

Hello

I am 15 years old I am alomost 16 and they sent me to OYC, Oklahoma Youth Center twice and Meadolake. And I have been to a shelter also. And the police got involved the last time i went to OYC and the shelter.
                      Last edited by senior09; 09-28-2006, 07:09 AM.

Comment

If the police were involved, you have a better chance of standing in line behind Elvis at the Piggly Wiggly than getting emancipated.

In all seriousness, the judge will take one look at your record, and figure you need MORE supervision in your life, not less. You simply haven't demonstrated adult behavior.

No judge is going to grant you emancipation because you and your mom fight... especially when the police are involved.

Sorry.
                        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

well...

The police were involved because my stepdad is a cop. Other than no one else was involved. And when my mom and stepdad sent me away they told a bunch of lies to OYC just so I would get admitted and then after being in there for a little while they knew that nothing was wrong with me and they sent me home. So if anyone needs to grow up I think my mother and stepdad do. Well thank you for your opinion though.

Comment

Hi
                            My name is Amanda, in Oklahoma, and I'm new to this site. I'm currently looking for emancipation information and I'm a little confused. The reason why I am looking into emancipation is because I am 16, turning 17 this year, and am graduating this May. My parents and I fight non stop, and I have been moved around so much that I was supposed to graduate two years late, not a year early. I am engaged to an 18 year old in the army, and because of my parents moving me so much, this is the first time I have been un employed since I was 12. I pay for all my own needs, such as clothes, cell phone, toiletries, ect. and I have a joint account with my fiance. My parents told me that I could move out of the house once I graduated, but now they are saying that if I move out, they will report me as a run away. All the sites I have looked at have told me that in order to get emancipated, I have to be living out of my parents house, but if I do that, they will report me! I'm quite confused and could use a little help! Thank you

Comment

If you are saying to yourself "Boy, it seems that the system is stacked against me to become emancipated", it is because the system IS stacked against you to become emancipated.

You must be living on your own. There is no way around that.
                              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
                              X