Child Abandonment/child Support Oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Abandonment/child Support Oklahoma

My husband has full custody of my 8 yr old stepson. Currently, my husband is in Mexico and has been for over a year. My stepson has been living with me the whole time his dad has been gone. His biological mother has not had any contact with my stepson since early June and has not paid any court ordered child support since 2008. She's keeps telling people she gonna come and get him from me. What are my options to keep him in my custody cause he's better off with me and not her? And how long can you file for abandonment?

You may not want to rock that boat. Mom can claim Dad abandoned child.
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by JennMunoz View Post
      My husband has full custody of my 8 yr old stepson. Currently, my husband is in Mexico and has been for over a year. My stepson has been living with me the whole time his dad has been gone. His biological mother has not had any contact with my stepson since early June and has not paid any court ordered child support since 2008. She's keeps telling people she gonna come and get him from me. What are my options to keep him in my custody cause he's better off with me and not her? And how long can you file for abandonment?

Dad HAS basically abandoned his child - and Mom is the only person with standing for custody at the moment.

Mom has constitutionally protected rights to parent her child; you have no such rights.

Comment

This is true. But my husband was deported by immigration and has legal paperwork stating so. The mother has not had hardly any contact with my stepson since he was a year old. She signed custody to my husband for a car. I for one do want my stepson and have been taking care of him as my own for his whole life and along with my own son with my husband. My husband is coming back soon legally and with a Visa. I'm just tryin to see to what I can do to protect my stepson from an alcoholic and drug addict mom who doesn't want him but only for more food stamps from the government.
        Last edited by JennMunoz; 10-02-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Like I said you don't want to rock this boat. So far all Mom has done is make threats empty ones at that. If you take this to court you will draw attention to fact Dad has not been there for his child and thus abandoned him. Mom can use this to her favor. If Mom really wanted this child she would have gotten him already. If she is contacting you you can remind her she has a legal obligation to support her child she ha snot met and any action on her part will likely find the court discovering she has failed to abide by court order

Comment

I have one last thing to say and I'm done. My husband has contact with both my boys. They talk and skype all the time. Where as the mom don't call or anything. My husband situation is the same as if he was deployed over seas. He's been forced to leave the country and not on his own free will. So he's not abandoned his children. Just wanted to make that clear.

Comment

Let me make this clear I am not saying he abandoned children just that Mom could make that claim. Furthermore since Dad not you was given custody you might not want to start making waves that could have child removed. You have no legal standing to keep child. Again you might not want to rock this boat!

Comment

Originally posted by JennMunoz View Post
                I have one last thing to say and I'm done. My husband has contact with both my boys. They talk and skype all the time. Where as the mom don't call or anything. My husband situation is the same as if he was deployed over seas. He's been forced to leave the country and not on his own free will. So he's not abandoned his children. Just wanted to make that clear.

Uh...NO.

This is NOT like being deployed - and likening deployment to being deported for NOT FOLLOWING THE LAW is pretty insulting to our military members, don't you think?

Like it or not, your husband has legally abandoned his children. He obviously broke the law without thinking about the wellbeing of his child/ren.

Just wanted to make THAT clear for you.

Comment

Your husband has not had physical custody in over a year!? This in itself is a violation of custody order so once more don't rock this boat! If you have had contact with Mom in any form then there has been contact.

Comment

Working...
                  X