emancipation in oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emancipation in oklahoma

my name is brandi and im 17. i live in oklahoma city, oklahoma and i am trying to get emancipated. my parents both just recently were sent to jail with serious charges on them and its a federal case. right now it looks like there wont be a way out of time for them and i dont want to live with any of my family. i have had a job for 11 months. the same place and go to college and am taking fast track classes. i dont have a car but i have a bike or can ride the bus to work and school. my grades are good and everything. i need to know if all of this is enough to be able to get me emancipated. and how about i go to begin the emancipation.

Well, let's start with the fact that you originally posted this on a thread that requested multiple times that new posters start their one threads instead of tagging onto one several years old. That means either you don't read carefully, or you believe that the rules do not apply to you. Neither shows evidence of the maturity required for emancipation.

Next, let's take the fact that in your state, an emancipated minor can do exactly one thing that a non-emancipated minor cannot, and that is sign a contract. It does not give you the right to live on your own.

Emancipation is not about want. It is about need. "I dont' want to live with any of my family" is not a valid reason to emancipate you. You have not indicated that your job is sufficient for you to pay 100% of your own expenses while still going to school and getting better than average grades. You have not shown us your plan for independent living which will prove to the judge that you will not become a burden on the taxpayers.

Even if a judge were going to consider your circumstances, you would have to prove all of this to him FIRST. If you can't provide for 100% of your own support without either assistance or your grades suffering, then no reason is good enough for emancipation.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree - Oklahoma has a narrow emancipation law dealing primarily with a minor's ability to enter into binding contracts. It's not likely to be of much help.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Why do so many 17 year olds ask about emancipation? Don't they realize it takes so long that they will be 18 before it is complete?

Comment

Most of them don't even know what it means, and think that it is a method by which they can move out of the house into a place where someone else will pay the rent and the gas bill and the phone and the electric bill, but they won't have to follow their parents' rules any more.

It's not.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Maybe to a 17 year old waiting until you're 18 seems like a long time.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm sure it does. But one of the evidences of the maturity they will need to evidence if they want to be declared an adult, is the ability to wait. Another is to accept the fact that sometimes the answer is no.

The inability of some teens to deal with either issue is only proof that they are not ready for emancipation.

Comment

I was just saying that may be one of the reasons though why so many 17 year olds
                ask for emancipation.

Comment

Hi, Brandi,

First, well done on having a job, transportation, taking fast track and college classes. It speaks well for your resourcefulness. I am sorry about your parents and your situation. Per the information previous responders have given, OK does not allow the type of emancipation you are looking for. Continue your successful actions, and make the best of your living situation. Continue to plan and think for the future, and when you turn 18 you will have the ability and opportunity to legally live where you wish.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                    Most of them don't even know what it means, and think that it is a method by which they can move out of the house into a place where someone else will pay the rent and the gas bill and the phone and the electric bill, but they won't have to follow their parents' rules any more.

It's not.
                    My older daughter will be 18 in 2 months. I have already gave her the "under my roof obey my rules" speech. I told her if she wants to have the freedoms of an adult then she can shoulder the responsbilities as well.

She is content to follow the rules now and is a good kid. Although she does like to tell me how to use our electronics

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                      I was just saying that may be one of the reasons though why so many 17 year olds
                      ask for emancipation.
                      I understand, Betty; just carrying your thought one step further.

Comment

Working...
                      X