Need Help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help...

Hi. My name is Anthony! I have a pretty good sized problem, and I need some major advice!

I just turned 19 years old. I met my girlfriend in 2007. Only thing is, she is 16 now. 2 years and some odd months difference in age. Her parents were cool with us dating, and I even lived with them for 2 years!! But, then some things went bad, and we started fighting. Her parents no longer allow me to see her.
    (I never laid a hand on her. It was just arguments)
    I have seen her a few times since, but we have been together still (dating wise).

She is 16, strong willed, and dedicated. She has been top of her class for the past few years, so school isn't a problem for her.

So... The advice I need, is...

can she be emancipated? We have been talking about it for 7 months now. Her dad is an alcoholic, and randomly has semi-violent outbursts. He has thrown her around a few times, etc..

Can she be emancipated? I have a home, a job I've been at for over 2 years, and don't intend to quit. I can provide for her, but she still wants a job. Which is fine. Only problem is, her parents won't allow her to move out. AT ALL! So what can we do?

She will continue to go to school here, and after graduation, college. But we can't get her parents consent to even let her give it a shot. What to do what to do
    Last edited by Beall90; 08-07-2009, 01:21 PM.

can she be emancipated? We have been talking about it for 7 months now. Her dad is an alcoholic, and randomly has semi-violent outbursts. He has thrown her around a few times, etc..

Then she should call CPS.

Can she be emancipated? No.

I have a home, a job I've been at for over 2 years, and don't intend to quit. I can provide for her, but she still wants a job. Which is fine. Only problem is, her parents won't allow her to move out. AT ALL! So what can we do? Wait until she is 18.

She will continue to go to school here, and after graduation, college. But we can't get her parents consent to even let her give it a shot. What to do what to do Wait till she is 18.

There is NOTHING in the law that is going to force her parents to allow her to move out at 16. NOTHING. Zip, nada, zilch. All the what-ifs you can think of, the answer is NO, she cannot move out without parental permission until she is 18.

And don't even try the, oh, but she's being abused scenario. If that is true, CPS may take her out of the home, but make no mistake, it will NOT be to live with you. She will be put into foster care, the home of another relative, or a group home. Don't think for one minute that the state will permit her to live with you. It isn't going to happen.

And emancipation does not mean that she moves in with you and plays house, it means that she and she alone is paying 100% of her rent, food, utilities, clothes, medical care, insurance, transportation, cell phone bill, shampoo, shoes, school fees and supplies, and all the other incidentals of life, while simultaneously going to school and getting good grades. Living with you and having you pay some or all of her expenses does NOT satisfy the self-support requirement for emancipation - she still has to prove that if you get tired of her, or get hit by a bus, or your job transfers you to South America, she can still pay all her expenses by herself. Nor does "I'll get a job" meet the requirements - she needs to show a PROVEN record of ALREADY supporting herself before a judge will even consider emancipation.

If her parents will not consent to her moving out, then she won't be moving out. It really is that simple. The law is 100% on her parents' side here, and not at all on yours.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I understand that. She already pays her phone bill, she pays some rent, pays her car payment and insurance.

Her dad lost his job in january. And he has been spending all of his unemployment on alcohol. they are trying to get by on a family of 6 on her moms income, which isn't much.

Comment

Which changes not one word of what I said above.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Okay. So. New question. If she can convince her parents to allow her to move out onto her own to prove herself,

Where do we start and what do we have to do to get her going?

Comment

I'll tell you what.

You get that permission first. THEN we'll talk about the specifics.

Comment

Working...
            X