Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the legal age in NEW YORK to move out without athorities being involved ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the legal age in NEW YORK to move out without athorities being involved ?

I will be 17 soon and I want to move out of my parents house. Is it possible for me to do that and not have to deal with cops? My 25 yr old boyfriend will be supporting me and I will be going to school...please help im so confused

I know that the legal age in West Virginia is 16 to move out of your parents house. They can still try to get the law involved, but they wont do anything about it. Over 16 the do not think it is worth it. Although I would be alittle bit concered about living with someone so much older than you (I know its not my place to say anything about that I just had to put in my 2 cents...sorry).

Comment

Originally posted by bfitz
      I know that the legal age in West Virginia is 16 to move out of your parents house. They can still try to get the law involved, but they wont do anything about it.
      Where did you hear this? The age of majority in WV is 18. WV considers running away to be a "status offense," which means it is a violation of criminal juvenile law.

Comment

It may in fact actually be 18 that is the legal age but the authorities will not get involved if the child is over 16. My cousin found out when she went through this process several years ago (she is now 19). And I was told this by the cops when I talked to someone about getting away from my parents. Luckily, I did not leave, I'm acutally from a good home and just had some problems with my parents and we managed to resolve our issues in our family before it went too far. Sorry if i created any confusion, I dont think I was clear before.

Comment

Age 18; New York, N.Y. C.P.L.R. 105; N.Y. Dom. Rel. Law 2; N.Y. Gen. Oblig. Law 1-202

Comment

Working...
          X