gaurdian or not (in new mexico)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gaurdian or not (in new mexico)

my girlfriend is only 16, im 18, and were kinda having a problem, see me and her family dont get along
    but her mom is saying she is the gaurdian of my baby because my gf is only a minor
    this isnt true right, i talked to a my friend, she works in a law office, she said that im the father and she would that my gf's mom would be the gaurdian if i wasnt 18, but since im 18 she's not the gaurdian, right?

Complicated situation. I think it would be wise to formally establish paternity and custodial rights. The Grandmother is technically guardian of the minor mother and the baby since they are under her roof I am assuming and you are not married to the daughter who had the baby. But you are a father, but your rights are not defined since you are not married to the mother and providing support to her. Now the reality is that at best, you likely are not going to get much more than visitation, possibly supervised visitation if you do not have a safe situation to visit the baby in. Another reality, however, is if you take the step to formally establish paternity and custodial rights, the grandmother will likely seek support from you for the baby. So I suggest that you consult a local family law attorney to figure out how you want to do things.

Comment

the 16-year old is the guardian, no matter what the age of a parent, she has legal, fianancial and so on responsibility for the child no matter her age

Comment

Okay, Kellie...

We get it... you are necroposting.

What say we keep it to posts under 3 months old, huh?
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
        X