Separated for 6 years and husband has remarried New Mexico

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separated for 6 years and husband has remarried New Mexico

I left my husband six years ago with my three children (they are now 18, 17, 14) and have found that he has remarried.
    I never divorced him because I didn't have the money or know how to do it cheaply. He has never paid child support and I wasn't sure if he had to pay because of us not being divorced.
    This year I'm having financial problems because my daughter is just starting college and my older son is having surgeries (which I'm having to take a lot of time off for to take care of him). i have insurance but the copays are really adding up along with everthing else.
    I don't know my options - i know i need to see an attorney but don't even have an extra nickle. I'm really behind on all my bills now.
    He called my son yesterday when he found out about the surgeries and was supposed to stop by and see him - I was going to ask for some money then but he never showed or called, that is his pattern...

I'd appreciate any advice.
    stressed in NM

Originally posted by Snglmom
    I left my husband six years ago with my three children (they are now 18, 17, 14) and have found that he has remarried.
    I never divorced him because I didn't have the money or know how to do it cheaply. He has never paid child support and I wasn't sure if he had to pay because of us not being divorced.
    This year I'm having financial problems because my daughter is just starting college and my older son is having surgeries (which I'm having to take a lot of time off for to take care of him). i have insurance but the copays are really adding up along with everthing else.
    I don't know my options - i know i need to see an attorney but don't even have an extra nickle. I'm really behind on all my bills now.
    He called my son yesterday when he found out about the surgeries and was supposed to stop by and see him - I was going to ask for some money then but he never showed or called, that is his pattern...

I'd appreciate any advice.
    stressed in NM
    You can file for CS for your 17 yr old and your 14 yr old. Under the circumstances you most likly won't get much retro support, except back to the date you filed for the CS.

Comment

Are you sure your not divorced?

Are you saying he has remarried , but there is no divorce finalized on your marriage? I believe that would be bigomy which is not allowed in New Mexico.
      You might check with public records and see if he filed without your knowledge. It can be done. This would give you a retro date for child support.

Comment

Thanks

for that - I didn't think of that. I will call to see where to get that info.
        If he did file that would be great.

If he hasn't - does anyone know what I should start with?
        Is there a way to get divorced with little/no money?
        Or could our marriage be void because he remarried?
        I'm so not legal savvy.

Comment

Working...
        X