Parental Rights + more Nebraska

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parental Rights + more Nebraska

Looking for alittle help here. Give a quick short story. My wife has a 8 yr old from a previous relationship. The court ordered back in 2002 for him to pay child support and hald medical bills. He is currently behind $1,500 & quit his job. Says he wants to sign over his rights as a parent.

We are considering taking him to court for the child support and medicla bills, we are un sure what he owes for medical. In 8 years he has paid us $10 and our son is higher alergic to many things so he is on alot of medicine.

So my question one is, what does he have to do to sign away his rights. I have heard soooo many things, the most common thing being I would need to adopt the child, but I've also heard he would need to go through due process of it, possible counseling, etc. Sounds like they don't make it easy.

Second question, is it worth our time to take him to court for contempt of court? I've been told he can have his tax returns taken, is that true? In addition to child support, medical bills, but he also fails to have the child when ordered and bring him home on time. Sometimes it's a month, one time it was 16 months. Currently, it's been since chrismas and we just celebrated his 8th birth day the second week of march.

So any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated and direction on what Nebraska State Law is. Thanks for all the feedback!

Brian

Originally posted by brihamil79 View Post
    Looking for alittle help here. Give a quick short story. My wife has a 8 yr old from a previous relationship. The court ordered back in 2002 for him to pay child support and hald medical bills. He is currently behind $1,500 & quit his job. Says he wants to sign over his rights as a parent.

We are considering taking him to court for the child support and medicla bills, we are un sure what he owes for medical. In 8 years he has paid us $10 and our son is higher alergic to many things so he is on alot of medicine.

So my question one is, what does he have to do to sign away his rights. I have heard soooo many things, the most common thing being I would need to adopt the child, but I've also heard he would need to go through due process of it, possible counseling, etc. Sounds like they don't make it easy.

Second question, is it worth our time to take him to court for contempt of court? I've been told he can have his tax returns taken, is that true? In addition to child support, medical bills, but he also fails to have the child when ordered and bring him home on time. Sometimes it's a month, one time it was 16 months. Currently, it's been since chrismas and we just celebrated his 8th birth day the second week of march.

So any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated and direction on what Nebraska State Law is. Thanks for all the feedback!

Brian
    He will not be able to relinquish his rights unless you want to adopt.

Your wife can file in court to enforce the court order, which she should do if ex is still refusing to pay.

Comment

Working...
    X